Pod Your Reef

devaji108

Ok guys this is going to be a fun one...

after much thought and debate on that tank and theme I wanted to use for this challenge I went with what  I had.I did not want to build out 3 tanks at once and a move coming up sometime in the next 2-4 months I wanted to keep it somewhat simple. 

the theme is:

color &  flower power  and inverts... as the tank will focus on rock flower nems, mini max nems, zoas and any thing that is flower like and colorful. 

I had so many themes I wanted to use here i needed 3-5 tanks, eh that not gonna happen.  

Tank info

fiji cube 18.5 peninsula such an amazing little tank

return pump  I just upgraded to the eheim 1000 a bit more flow but the same noise level as the stock RT pump.

intake flow   none at this time but that could change

skimmer  none I will do Wc and media 

lighting  1X AI prime HD and 3D reefing defuser- perfect light  I will be running a low level BRS AB+ profile

LR  real reef rock making some DIY branch I might add after the move if it turn out well. 

ATO  auto aqua micro I really like this ATO more the the big  tunze  and ATK I used it on my big tanks and never got around to the ATK still new in the box. 

Sand carib sea special grade. love this stuff. almost went BB but I love the look of sand so much. 

heater  a small finnex heater with digital read out.  might be something I replace here soon. 

temp control not 100% decided on this one but I am leaning towards getting a PM1 and eb4 or 8 and extending my apex for the long haul. or a ranco 

upgrades down the road:

~ gonna have @This guy is extra salty build me a media basket. gonna look and work better then the egg creat I was thinking about.

~Vca RGF I have the  .5" RFG but need to get the real loc line so it will fit. hoping to keep Power heads out of the DT for this one.  

~after/during  the move I might  build a Tsot stand for the little guy if I feel the stand I have it not working or does not go with the new house.

~ in the processes of making some DIY branch rock something I am excited about and wanted to try for years, however it will take 2-3 weeks to make and 3-6 weeks to fully cure .

~ DIY upflow ATS, not sure I will need it or not but I plan to make ( and Have all the goodies ) a ATS for AIO nano stay tuned.

So some of you my remember  this tank from a build I started a few months ago.   tank only had sand, LR, and the nems.  NO fish or CUC was just setting here, whent through a bad algae out break and was starting a red slime cycle. so I really wanted to be part of the FUN and getting a new tank in time for the dead line was looking slim at best that and the added extra cost of a new set up with all the goodies only to have in run in the basement mech room at the new place. and moving it seemed like a bad idea  I thought the why spend all the time and money to only see it 2x a day in the basement fish room. 

SO I cleaned this tank up, let it dry out for a few hours,  gave the rocks a good scrub clean the heck out of the sand and re-scaped. took most of the day but today is a slow day for me anyway.    

condiment pic :

image.thumb.png.c1439264a14f023edc7927268da43462.png

nice clean sand:

image.thumb.png.086e34854088be6ef182ee8fda77c9ec.png

image.thumb.png.602558094e2b1eaf50724e008441a287.png

new scape top down:

image.thumb.png.2f9aeebf12c253ef62c3feea94de1159.png

front on:

image.thumb.png.79d0ff4accfeb6a0b8b99d637c9e851c.png

the Kitty is happy I am done messing with the nano it's here nap time after all in her fav. nap spot.

image.thumb.png.2c9269ea258a2efddbb471ecd0629777.png 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Good to see you made it before the deadline.  Good luck!

thanks!  I am excited to finally be able to join. I have a lot of good ideas for the tank be fun to see it progress  over the next year.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

Ok looks like I stole @GtownSalty flower power name  so now I need to come up with another  cool name for my theme of RFA tank. any ideas?

58 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

Ok looks like I stole @GtownSalty flower power name  so now I need to come up with another  cool name for my theme of RFA tank. any ideas?

There is more than enough flower power to go around I do not mind sharing !

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

There is more than enough flower power to go around I do not mind sharing !

yes there is! lots of flower power for sure. such cool inverts right?  I should have 20 in my tank I only count 18 so maybe 2 are hiding with the new rock work. I 'll have to keep an eye out to see if they pop up.    

• Like 2

stocking list

lots of inverts

RFAs

maybe mini max ( still on the fence about that )   

sexy shrimp a heard or is a a gaggle or flock ???

nem shrimp

fire shrimp

porcelain crab

cpl small fish 

I might add the azure  damsel and kaudern cardinal  I have  and a purple fire fish  or  a few small gobies like the shark nose 

also thought about some guppies 😮  not 100% yet.      

4 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Sweet!! So happy that you got in on this! Hopefully the girlfriend is on board. 

oh she is, so excited NOT to have another tank in the house...lol 

• Haha 1

well I have had a cpl RFA move on me. only bad thing about these guys you put them where you want em and they find a spot they like better. most stayed on the rocks they where but a few decided to go for a walk about.  

1 hour ago, GtownSalty said:

I need a tank shot!

here is a shoot I took a few days before the tank transfer prob. one of the best i have.

dose not look as good after the move some of the nems moved ks  and I had to rescape with the men on the rocks not easy for sure.  but they will find there place and all will be happy once again... 

RFA evening .jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

I also have a cpl leads on more RFA for the tank. I am  debating if I should get some and a CUC before or after the move?? the reno is taking forever on the new place but there is light at the end of the tunnel. guessing 2-3 months.

sure would like a CUC and more nems for sure...    

19 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Well that's a hell of a start. Good luck with the tank, the contest, and moving.

thank you!

I really wanted to join I messed the last 2. this is going to be fun and keep us accountable for our tanks. 

2 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

That is stunning I hope mine looks half as good soon!

thank you! I did love that view from the couch. gotta say its not looking as good now but it will get there. I need to take some more pics to update the look.

I am sure yours will be amazing. give it some time,  you will be amazed  what I few months will do for a tank. its' all about salability .

So here is my proposed invert list...hmm maybe I should call this invert kingdom or some other catchy name...lol

4X sexy shrimp or more if I can find a good deal on em.
2x porcelain  crab one blue one white
1x strawberry  crab
1x anemone shrimp
1x fire shrimp
a few feather dusters

1X scarlet hermit

3x dwarf blue leg hermit

nano CUC snails

a few mini max nems I am not sure on them as I dont want them eating the shrimp, fish or other inverts...

• Like 2

HMMM really thinking about an order today for some RFA and mini max I am really on the fence with the move coming up in a few months. keep going back and forth 

they are  pretty easy to move the 30 min, and I have to move them ones I got anyway so what's a few more? but on the other hand it 's more life that could be lost.

I have a gift card and a  online vendor   I got last Bday A year + ago now - form the GF I have been eager to use...

thinking of 4 mini max nems  and a cpl  RFA. the problem always is in the shipping, if I am going to pay for over night might as well get a pretty big order and be done for a few months...

sucks not having a good LFS with a few hundred miles. there is an OK one 2.5hr drive each way and a pretty good one 6.5hr drive  each away. would be nice to shop in person but the time and gas I would spend more.   

• Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, devaji108 said:

HMMM really thinking about an order today for some RFA and mini max I am really on the fence with the move coming up in a few months. keep going back and forth 

they are  pretty easy to move the 30 min, and I have to move them ones I got anyway so what's a few more? but on the other hand it 's more life that could be lost.

I have a gift card and a  online vendor   I got last Bday A year + ago now - form the GF I have been eager to use...

thinking of 4 mini max nems  and a cpl  RFA. the problem always is in the shipping, if I am going to pay for over night might as well get a pretty big order and be done for a few months...

sucks not having a good LFS with a few hundred miles. there is an OK one 2.5hr drive each way and a pretty good one 6.5hr drive  each away. would be nice to shop in person but the time and gas I would spend more.   

Where do you live? (Also, I’ll need you to PM me so we can work out the tank keepers care package) If you have inclement weather, it might be smart to wait a couple of months.  

3 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Where do you live? (Also, I’ll need you to PM me so we can work out the tank keepers care package) If you have inclement weather, it might be smart to wait a couple of months.  

Jackson hole Wy. but will be moving over the state line in to Idaho.

cold and snowy here not to bad its been a great snow year with around 37' of snow.

i'll PM you 🙂

36 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow 6.5 is pretty far away!

yeah not much around these parts. ti be fair Salt lake city  in about 5 hours away. and there is a hand full  of LFS down there. still to long of a drive for a cpl corals and a fish tho. unless I have another reason to go.