inTank Media Baskets

Chiller and return pump.....

nano-mex

Is it safe to hook up a chiller to a controlable return pump?

I’ll be setting up a nano tank with a small sump probably a 10g tank and would like to have as little equipment as possible for more water volume in there and was wondering if this is safe to do so or would I need to use a separate one for just the chiller? 
I’m thinking on getting this pump... Hydor
SELTZ D 750 DC

What chiller?  There shouldn't be anything "unsafe" about it....but DC return pumps are notorious for not delivering the flow claimed on the box.  You'll want a certain minimum flow rate for the chiller....and the manufacturer of the chiller might be able to tell you have much flow loss to expect at the recommended flow rate.  If so, you should be able to combine that info with the flow curve that the pump's manufacturer may have neglected to publish if it's a cheap pump and predict whether the pump will provide adequate flow given your plumbing AND the chiller.

And why do you need one?  Generally a tropical tank needs heat since we're not using high-powered lights anymore and we're not in the tropics.

I've never been to Oxnard, but the weather report says it's cold there, not tropical.  😉  So what's the deal?

(I've never heard of the Hydor DC pump so can't comment on it specifically.....post its flow curve along with details on the chiller if you can find that info.)

10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

What chiller?  There shouldn't be anything "unsafe" about it....but DC return pumps are notorious for not delivering the flow claimed on the box.  You'll want a certain minimum flow rate for the chiller....and the manufacturer of the chiller might be able to tell you have much flow loss to expect at the recommended flow rate.  If so, you should be able to combine that info with the flow curve that the pump's manufacturer may have neglected to publish if it's a cheap pump and predict whether the pump will provide adequate flow given your plumbing AND the chiller.

And why do you need one?  Generally a tropical tank needs heat since we're not using high-powered lights anymore and we're not in the tropics.

I've never been to Oxnard, but the weather report says it's cold there, not tropical.  😉  So what's the deal?

(I've never heard of the Hydor DC pump so can't comment on it specifically.....post its flow curve along with details on the chiller if you can find that info.)

It’s a Jbj Artica 1/10 chiller.... I was thinking of getting a bigger dc pump  than what i need, to provide the correct flow to feed the chiller and the return. That was actually my main concern, the water flow for the chiller. I need one for the summer heat, yes right now out side temps are fluctuating but inside my home it's hot and even more in the summer. But I have decided to run 2 pumps, one for the chiller and one for the return. Thank you for your input!!

Same deal...and not a bad idea.  Compare the chiller's requirements with the pump's flow chart and you should be able to tell if it'll give you enough flow.

Looks like the only thing in the pumps docs is that it requires at least 240 GPH.  Without knowing what head pressure the plumbing creates, you kind have to guess at what pump will do it....the good thing is that it's a small chiller, and the low flow rate required doesn't generate a lot of friction to begin with.

Since 3/4" plumbing is the largest size it supports, we can assume for the moment that's the internal diameter of the plumbing is 5/8".  (Halfway between 1/2" and 3/4".)

According to a friction loss calculator (and assuming 5' of plumbing, 240 GPH, and a bunch of elbows and tees) you could expect between .5 and 2 feet of head loss.

Unfortunately, Hydor is one of the makers that apparently doesn't publish a flow curve for their pumps.  That leaves you guessing at the right model and more likely to get a bigger pump than you need.....and thus pay more than you need.

Something to consider is that you don't need an adjustable speed pump for return OR to run a chiller.

Consider using a QuietOne pump of the correct size for both applications.....they are inexpensive, come with a great warranty, and are fully documented so you can make in intelligent choice.

Either of these would probably be good.....

Quite One 1200At 17 watts the model 1200 should be almost perfect for the chiller considering the .5 feet to 2 feet head range. 

Quite One 2200 3000 4000 At 38 watts the 2200 is a lot bigger and would be able to be throttled back a fair amount at the pump intake...might even be able to run the chiller AND the return flow:

quite one aquarium 1200 and 2200

For another option, a Danner Mag 2 or Mag 3 would get around the same performance as the Model 1200 if you want something stronger at the same GPH....but they're about double the cost too.  I like both pumps.

What temp does your place get up to out of curiosity?  The tank would have to be up in the 90's before you'd have anything to worry about.  (Unless you're keeping some temperate critters...eg. from HI or AUS or the Caribbean...then lower temps will be appreciated.)

21 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Same deal...and not a bad idea.  Compare the chiller's requirements with the pump's flow chart and you should be able to tell if it'll give you enough flow.

Looks like the only thing in the pumps docs is that it requires at least 240 GPH.  Without knowing what head pressure the plumbing creates, you kind have to guess at what pump will do it....the good thing is that it's a small chiller, and the low flow rate required doesn't generate a lot of friction to begin with.

Since 3/4" plumbing is the largest size it supports, we can assume for the moment that's the internal diameter of the plumbing is 5/8".  (Halfway between 1/2" and 3/4".)

According to a friction loss calculator (and assuming 5' of plumbing, 240 GPH, and a bunch of elbows and tees) you could expect between .5 and 2 feet of head loss.

Unfortunately, Hydor is one of the makers that apparently doesn't publish a flow curve for their pumps.  That leaves you guessing at the right model and more likely to get a bigger pump than you need.....and thus pay more than you need.

Something to consider is that you don't need an adjustable speed pump for return OR to run a chiller.

Consider using a QuietOne pump of the correct size for both applications.....they are inexpensive, come with a great warranty, and are fully documented so you can make in intelligent choice.

Either of these would probably be good.....

Quite One 1200At 17 watts the model 1200 should be almost perfect for the chiller considering the .5 feet to 2 feet head range. 

Quite One 2200 3000 4000 At 38 watts the 2200 is a lot bigger and would be able to be throttled back a fair amount at the pump intake...might even be able to run the chiller AND the return flow:

quite one aquarium 1200 and 2200

For another option, a Danner Mag 2 or Mag 3 would get around the same performance as the Model 1200 if you want something stronger at the same GPH....but they're about double the cost too.  I like both pumps.

What temp does your place get up to out of curiosity?  The tank would have to be up in the 90's before you'd have anything to worry about.  (Unless you're keeping some temperate critters...eg. from HI or AUS or the Caribbean...then lower temps will be appreciated.)

Thanks for taking the time to help me make a decision I greatly appreciated it. I’m going to go with the Quiet One 1200 for the chiller and the hydor seltz dc return pump for more flow control!! Thanks again for all the great info!! 👍🏼 

• Like 1