Pod Your Reef

29g - First Tank Build - Starting at Zero - Shut down

Hasted

Chadicus Meridius

You were right about the CUC packs , thinking of the snails, and crabs as disposable. A lot of snails and crabs produce more waste causing more nuisance algae , I personally went with 1 Mexican turbo snail, and 1 astrea.  (For 20 gallon long) there doing a pretty good job at eating diatoms. They finish one half of the tank, and it grows on the other half, so they don’t run out of food it’s pretty awesome

Do you have an ATO?

if not I recommend one (I don’t have the money for on right now,but I will be getting one at the end of May.)

i also really wanted the Hanna test kits, my dream

25 minutes ago, Seea said:

You were right about the CUC packs , thinking of the snails, and crabs as disposable. A lot of snails and crabs produce more waste causing more nuisance algae , I personally went with 1 Mexican turbo snail, and 1 astrea.  (For 20 gallon long) there doing a pretty good job at eating diatoms. They finish one half of the tank, and it grows on the other half, so they don’t run out of food it’s pretty awesome

Do you have an ATO?

if not I recommend one (I don’t have the money for on right now,but I will be getting one at the end of May.)

i also really wanted the Hanna test kits, my dream

I don't have a ATO, but it is on my list. I fill the tank 3x a day. Easy when quarantine life. I will want an ATO by the time I go back to work... in August?

• Like 1

Well, I am increasing my test capabilities, my equipment, nutrition (fish and corals), and on a solid routine (or at least I think I am).

I listed my current parameters on the first post and most of them a couple days ago, but will repost them.

1335514982_Screenshot_20200501-121200_AquariumNote.jpg.4de31040dc7ce97626f0c9139685e057.jpg

Phosphate shows 0.00 on the ULR. A lot of places say you want really low, but not NONE. Fed a little heavier last couple days (and still checking Nitrate). Going to monitor it without doing anything other than feed a little more. If it doesn't register after a while, I will add something. Not many products RAISE Phosph. I did find one, but not taking any drastic measures yet. That might be the reason my Zoas aren't as happy as they should be (Infusions closed up mostly last 5 days)

Now for the fun part!

Screenshot_20200501-195336_Gallery.thumb.jpg.eeac76f7a7ebe0acd523c75cf2bb9503.jpg

Bad picture as (s)he is just now getting comfortable and coming out some (was feeding). Color is yellow with pink. Doesn't show well in my modified picture.

Also, snagged a couple new corals. Get ready for some bad pictures!20200430_220244.thumb.jpg.eb910714cc2b5bdde49f2860258b32c0.jpg

Jingle Bells Cyphastrea 

20200430_220234.thumb.jpg.bb58a6e7fa00f00f40fe02293ff5be12.jpg

Rainbow Montipora 

A little more diversity to see what works and what doesn't. The Monti is going to be the harder one to keep happy, but it has a prime spot. 

Now that I actually am putting corals places, I am finding that my rock placement is not very ideal. I am not changing anything YET, but curious. How do you guys adjust your scape with fish in the system? Do you take rocks out at all or keep them all submerged?

Additional Info:

20200501_165639.thumb.jpg.39a34f79a5ac71695f7e72c78d110f26.jpg

RODI is in a permanent-ish set up. I am getting 6 more PSI (56) in this compared to being hooked to the Spigot. Which is nice!

20200501_170308.thumb.jpg.c38a4746b796a7f948c40325d5021f64.jpg

It works! I have a float shut off valve, but this is a easy leak / overflow protection for now.

A few other things happened here and there. I spend A LOT of time in front of this thing.

Screenshot_20200501-195336_Gallery.jpg

20200503_164446.thumb.jpg.1d5c189f728ba9cb83ee10ae8f18ce49.jpg

I decided to remove a big, bland rock. Rotated the next larger, flatter one to get more light and have more surface area sloping towards the front of the tank rather than back. 

Now that I am putting corals in the tank, I found how unusable a large portion of my rock work is (was). This help a lot.

As for coral placement:

20200503_162457.thumb.jpg.9588d709fa2af9733c6edf9f96e63f84.jpg

Monti gets front and center. Hopefully enough light and has a ton of flow there. Zoas should be getting a little more light, too. They opened up quick quickly after the water change / rock work. Cyphastrea is tucked lower, right under where the Blenny likes to hang out. The chalice is in the back, visible on the right. I didn't have any way to have stuff on the right before. It is the entrance of the room, so I wanted something. I do think I need to get a little more flow down to it, though. 

My goal is to outgrow this tank. I am planning to upgrade to a larger tank in the 75-100 ish area. Everything I buy from here on out I want to be able to transfer to it. 

Right now, my 3 big things to buy/upgrade are lights, flow, and ATO in the next couple of months. 

ATO: I am 95% sure I am wanting to go with a Tunze 3155 ATO. I just passed on an insane deal on am Apex V2, though. I couldn't find anything that suggested I could use it on my current tank. 

Lights: I have two major paths I could go.

I could hook up another AI Prime to this tank, adding great coverage. I really like the controls on my phone and finally found a great program I am happy with. When I upgrade my tank size, I could get yet another Prime and be pretty happy. 

OR I could ditch AI and chase that Kessil shimmer. I don't think I will go this route, but keeping it as an option. 

Flow: There doesn't seem to be a HUGE amount of option that are adjustable enough to not murder my 29g, but strong enough to keep a 75+ happy.

My original thought was an MP10. After some research, it looks like they aren't advisable for the thickness of the glass of the main tank I have been eyeballing (Red Sea Reefer 350). MP40 looks to be too much for a little 29g...

I will have to do more research, and not in a hurry on this one.

Even though my plans are to upgrade, I absolutely love this tank and going to start at it daily. I am happy the direction it is taking. 

Ordered another AI Prime 16 HD light. Should get it in early this week! Seems like with 1 I could "get away with it" and just be really careful where I put corals that need more light. With two, I should be able to coat the whole tank (30") and even turn down the intensity! Luckily I should have enough egg crate to make a new lid. That process took a while since I made it absolutely as perfect fit as it could be. Luckily, the tank is perfectly sized for them and has flat edges all the way around rather than having spokes or what not on one or two sides (if that makes sense?)

If you have read everything up to now, you know I am planning an upgrade. I am hoping to drop a 48" tank down on the outer wall, in line with my couch (side glass would be a highly viewed angle, want a wide tank prob). I am in ZERO rush for this. I would be perfectly happy to wait until sales hit each equipment item I want just to save money. How are Black Friday deals in this hobby? My last BF / Christmas target was my home gym. One of the few times power racks, barbells, plates, etc go on a decent sale. Saved a ton! I could probably wait to do the same.

So, with that and I have mentioned before, every piece of equipment I get I would want to be able to use on my larger tank. 

I ALMOST picked up the Tunze 3155 this week instead of my light. I figured both would help me maintain my tank / corals. With further research, I don't know if this model of ATO will even fit on my tank. I have the basic 29g rimmed tank at the moment with no sump. Unless I drop the water level like 1.5 inches, the sensor unit seems too large to be inside?

Will a Tunze 3155 fit inside a rimmed 29g tank, and at what water level?

20200506_190516.thumb.jpg.0340d84a8fcf16d8c1d5d55fc5366686.jpg

I leave you with a happy Zoa picture!

Working on stability. Running each test weekly at minimum. Got my salinity up just a bit over the last two weeks. Happy where it is now

501822696_Screenshot_20200511-200128_AquariumNote.jpg.06cdcfbc9c9f5c19f13d80c2fe320729.jpg

My new light comes in tomorrow. Going to slap it up and drop the intensity a bit. Should be a nice coverage with the two lights. Will update with that. Ended up picking up a few more Zoa colors at the LFS today for a crazy low price. Super happy. I kind of forget the names, though... meh. I was after specific colors rather than names. 

20200511_184837.thumb.jpg.dcf31d91aacdc36dda60fbc19ae31b20.jpg

A nice clump of deep green colored centers. I was wanting a branching Hammer to fill in green and add movement, but no luck so far in the area.

20200511_184901.thumb.jpg.6e0f47cc27502ad8b018403693564a48.jpg

Hasn't opened up much, but snagged this for its yellow coloring. Hoping it does well!

20200511_165004.thumb.jpg.1be680e8638aa13042841e53e6ee4a2a.jpg

He chopped up a rock for me. Turned out to have insane pink coralline (I think?) on it. Has a ton of polyps. These should be a deep red if i remember correctly. I bought the Zoas, but hoping this pink spreads more than anything!

I will be busy tomorrow making a new lid that has cut outside for the second light mount. It went super well last time, so I don't expect much trouble.

Hope everyone is doing well!

24 minutes ago, Illumin-8 said:

Following along, this build looks great so far! Love that stand and cute little blenny.  :wub: He's awesome!

Yay! He is such a goober. He was perching on a snail's shell yesterday at the water line. Took him like 30m to get balanced (we watched during a Zoom meeting. Quite distracting.) Lots of character and not afraid of anything any more. He also greets the clown pair, which makes them actually move from their little corner...

Thanks for stopping by!! 

Let's see some pictures! Roll'em!

20200512_154949.thumb.jpg.7c867d79c306aebebd09876b07e39f10.jpg

20200512_161609.thumb.jpg.d62c4438b6fc9970e279b0ba13e6f561.jpg

FTS. 1 light, then two light. 

20200512_154955.thumb.jpg.ac07c36d20f371526f2e0c9040dc7ba0.jpg20200512_161616.thumb.jpg.01ed270292e435e76bb76456b6f252b1.jpg

and again with the lights in the frame. 

The spot light is gone! The corners have light and the disco is a lot better. Looks subtle, but huge in my opinion!

Made a new eggcrate lid. Tight.

20200512_181329.thumb.jpg.6e811730ad2f89d03b24701cbb685cd5.jpg

The squares line up perfectly to the rim and most of the equipment perfectly already. A few extra snips and BAM. Please stay in the tank little fishies.

All my new Zoa frags have opened except one. It was supposed to be a bright green one, if I remember correctly. Gonna give it a few more days before tinkering with it.

Thanks for stopping by. Not much of a change to some, but a new light is exciting to me!

• Like 2
Phantomwerkz

Looks good... I need to pick up some egg crate and cut. Pretty sure I'm going to need it for summer (plus it will work better when I "eventually" get a new stand built)

• Like 2

Lost our favorite fish to what appeared to be Flukes today. 

About to dip the clowns and then research treatments. I don't want to lose them, too.

• Sad 2

Well, was bummed about losing the Blenny so... I bought 10 corals. Should be here tomorrow. 

Hitting what I think is the next phase of the uglies, though. Trying to balance "Its a new tank, it is going to happen" with "Am I overfeeding or anything causing this"

The CUC doesn't seem to be hitting this algae, though. Last time they left the rocks absolutely spotless as the moved around the rocks. Definitely a different type of algae than before.

Trying to keep up with everything correctly and watch it. I am hoping the things I read are correct and this will eventually die off as part of the process.

20200518_122253.thumb.jpg.a78d66bd586b40d570dffddc9a2b42a6.jpg

Come back tomorrow for a coral update (assuming all goes well).

• Haha 1
IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
14 minutes ago, Hasted said:

Well, was bummed about losing the Blenny so... I bought 10 corals. Should be here tomorrow. 

I fully support this logic hahah.

Can I ask where you're ordering from?? Very disappointed in my usual go-to lately 😞

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I fully support this logic hahah.

Can I ask where you're ordering from?? Very disappointed in my usual go-to lately 😞

WWC did a live sale this past weekend. It was madness. I don't think I will participate in another one, however. I did end up scoring a lot of stuff, but the time invested was unreal. 

11 minutes ago, Hasted said:

WWC did a live sale this past weekend. It was madness. I don't think I will participate in another one, however. I did end up scoring a lot of stuff, but the time invested was unreal. 

Ah yeah I saw that. Seemed like way too much effort lol you had to get at least two things, right?

12 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Ah yeah I saw that. Seemed like way too much effort lol you had to get at least two things, right?

There was no minimum. You are probably thinking of the $5 frags. Max of two for the sale. I think you had to get a regular frag to be able to get a $5 one though? I was able to get two $5 ones... and then plenty of others. 

Just now, Hasted said:

There was no minimum. You are probably thinking of the $5 frags. Max of two for the sale. I think you had to get a regular frag to be able to get a $5 one though? I was able to get two $5 ones... and then plenty of others. 

Oo! Okay thank you so much! Looking forward to see what you got 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Well! My corals came! I have had them all at the bottom of my tank since 10am (8 hours). I recently moved them into groups of "flow requirements" so the low flow corals aren't getting blasted.

Individual pictures! Not the best, but something. 

20200520_144837.thumb.jpg.4ae0f7ef2138da04b6a74f3474cd4e30.jpg

The star of the show. Radioactive Hammer. Beautiful! Stands out and adds much needed movement to the tank. This was my main goal during the last sale.

20200520_175914.thumb.jpg.7f26d032166824c9c7a8109831e25d52.jpg

WWC Phantasm Blastomussa. Closed up, but was open before this pic. Will update when open.

20200520_175916.thumb.jpg.d7a16590f572f56f9dbd467242c1d608.jpg

Lava Bomb Aussie Lord, this guy hasn't opened up too much yet. Hopefully he settles in well. 

20200520_175858.thumb.jpg.03d032cb83e98a77822ce30145236144.jpg

WWC Acid Rain Leptoseris. A tester. I like how they look grown out, but not sure if it will like my tank yet. 

20200520_175926.thumb.jpg.dd8cb407cb555dd204bd328f0b7ad333.jpg

Front, terrible picture. WWC Mayan Moon Favia.

20200520_175948.thumb.jpg.24a72ae93189a02a0a9a94967514d4a6.jpg

Green Birdsnest. Only one I moved up a bit so far for more light. 

I also got a 4 Frag pack which included:

20200520_175929.thumb.jpg.1d1f61ea3f9dd0d834f3665438d3d04b.jpg

Cotton candy Chalice. Absolutely beautiful!

20200520_175904.thumb.jpg.63506aaebfbf01364245604217bdf3fa.jpg

Front: Neon Spongodes Montipora. Seems to have a unique growth pattern. 

Back: Splatter Goniastrea. Seems like the winner of the back along with the cotton candy Chalice. This will hopefully dump green all over the tank with the hammer!

Last! Not pictured are 4 polyp Radioactive Dragoneye Zoas. I reached the pic limit. Haha! 

All of the corals are looking GREAT other than the Montipora. Only one side has color and the tip almost look clear? Looks like the top is dying /dead. May have been bumped up in shipping, acclimating, or just hates my tank. We shall see. 

Regardless! Tons of color and now movement with the hammer! I just need to focus and keep it all happy! 

If you see any issues that I don't, let me know!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gramophone said:

Looks like you're off to a good start! I love the midas blenny :wub:

Oooh, you must have missed my post from Sunday. 😞 I have some bad news...

Gramophone
2 minutes ago, Hasted said:

Oooh, you must have missed my post from Sunday. 😞 I have some bad news...

Oh no! I'm terribly sorry.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:47 PM, Hasted said:

20200503_164446.thumb.jpg.1d5c189f728ba9cb83ee10ae8f18ce49.jpg

I decided to remove a big, bland rock. Rotated the next larger, flatter one to get more light and have more surface area sloping towards the front of the tank rather than back. 

Now that I am putting corals in the tank, I found how unusable a large portion of my rock work is (was). This help a lot.

As for coral placement:

20200503_162457.thumb.jpg.9588d709fa2af9733c6edf9f96e63f84.jpg

Monti gets front and center. Hopefully enough light and has a ton of flow there. Zoas should be getting a little more light, too. They opened up quick quickly after the water change / rock work. Cyphastrea is tucked lower, right under where the Blenny likes to hang out. The chalice is in the back, visible on the right. I didn't have any way to have stuff on the right before. It is the entrance of the room, so I wanted something. I do think I need to get a little more flow down to it, though. 

My goal is to outgrow this tank. I am planning to upgrade to a larger tank in the 75-100 ish area. Everything I buy from here on out I want to be able to transfer to it. 

Right now, my 3 big things to buy/upgrade are lights, flow, and ATO in the next couple of months. 

ATO: I am 95% sure I am wanting to go with a Tunze 3155 ATO. I just passed on an insane deal on am Apex V2, though. I couldn't find anything that suggested I could use it on my current tank. 

Lights: I have two major paths I could go.

I could hook up another AI Prime to this tank, adding great coverage. I really like the controls on my phone and finally found a great program I am happy with. When I upgrade my tank size, I could get yet another Prime and be pretty happy. 

OR I could ditch AI and chase that Kessil shimmer. I don't think I will go this route, but keeping it as an option. 

Flow: There doesn't seem to be a HUGE amount of option that are adjustable enough to not murder my 29g, but strong enough to keep a 75+ happy.

My original thought was an MP10. After some research, it looks like they aren't advisable for the thickness of the glass of the main tank I have been eyeballing (Red Sea Reefer 350). MP40 looks to be too much for a little 29g...

I will have to do more research, and not in a hurry on this one.

Even though my plans are to upgrade, I absolutely love this tank and going to start at it daily. I am happy the direction it is taking. 

Did you ever get a powerhead?  Highly recommend the AI Nero 5.  It will work for this tank and your upgrade.  I have two on my 4ft Reefer. 

16 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Did you ever get a powerhead?  Highly recommend the AI Nero 5.  It will work for this tank and your upgrade.  I have two on my 4ft Reefer. 

I haven't and that's one of my top choices! I have heard some bad stories about chopped fish, so I would have to get a cover for it. Thanks for the suggestion! I feed on others experiences.