Jump to content
Hasted

29g - First Tank Build - Starting at Zero

Recommended Posts

Hasted

Hey everyone! It was suggested for me to start a build post here. So here I am! Not sure if it is actually a build post, though… because there is no finished build yet.

Background: None.

 

Goal: An environment suited for a pair of Clownfish as main  focus.

What I have currently.

I am posting EVERYTHING with (hopefully) full product names. This way, if anyone is interested in copying my set up, it should be quite easy to replicate.

 

Equipment as of 3/10/2020

Tank: Basic 29g Aqueon tank - 30.25L x 12.5W x 18.75H
Stand: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - for 29 Gallon Aquariums (Modified slightly)
Lighting: AI Prime 16HD Reef Aquarium LED, Black

+ 12" Gooseneck for mounting 

Filter: Tidal 55 HOB Power Filter (Up to 55 Gal) - Seachem

+Media: Filter Floss & Seachem MatrixCarbon in media bags.
Powerhead: TWO Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425gph

Starter Bacteria: Instant Ocean BIO-Spira (Oops, 75g!)

+Ammonia: Dr.Tim's AMMONIUM CHLORIDE FOR FISHLESS CYCLES

Test Kit: API Reef Master Test Kit

Salt: Instant Ocean 50g

+Using premixed RO/DI water from my LFS for now? (5g WC is easy to do after a stop in to LFS, have salt ready in case needed)

Refractometer: PetCo Refractometer

+ Calibration Fluid: Bulk Reef Supply REFRACTOMETER CALIBRATION SOLUTION

Sand: ARAGONITE FIJI PINK DRY SAND 40LBS
Rock: Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock- 40 lbs
Heater: Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 150w

Thermometer: Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller

Siphon / Gravel Cleaner: Python Pro-Clean Gravel Washer Siphon Kit (Small / Tall)

Magnetic Cleaner: Flipper MAGNETIC CLEANER

5g Bucket: Two basic ones with lids. Need at least one more.

 

 

Tank Shot as of 3/7/2020 - 1st day of cycling. See post on 2nd page for more details

20200307_085835.thumb.jpg.dfd3f5edd1582315d354006e5a2df181.jpg

 

Additional Stuff I need to buy: 

 

- 5g Bucket

- Fish Net, Food, and...

- Additional Heater and Powerhead for mixing salt

 

Returned:

Marineland Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel Power Filter - After some suggestions, decided to go with a better filter.

 

Everything else I need to get me started?

 

Discussion time!

I was oblivious to this amazing hobby just two months ago. I visited a friend who has a 125g tank set up. Immediately got interested. I have been doing research every day. I found a rough estimate on budget, found the location in my house (only a 42” wall for now), decided on my goal, and (most importantly) got the wife’s permission!

 

I keep seeing bigger is easier. I only have a 42” section of a wall. I could go bigger, but I don’t want to creep too close to the window (keep seeing to avoid windows). This is one of the reasons I went with a 29g tank. I kept going back and forth between a 29g, 20g long, 40g breeder, etc. I am still not 100% sold on the tank size, so if there is any reason I NEED to change, let me know. If not, I will be happy with that size right now. Old info. Going with the 29g for now! 

 

My goal is to have an ideal environment for a pair of Clownfish, as mentioned. I would like to pick everything for my tank around that idea. That includes CUC, if any corals, or if a third fish ever gets added. I do not want to overstock or anything of that sort, so not sure if a third fish is even advised (some places seem to think it is ok, but iffy on others?)

 

As you can tell, I am a beginner in this. I am trying to do it correctly and don’t want to rush it. I will gladly soak up any and all advice from others!

I will be posting updates here as they happen! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Flow is important but you can have too much or too little. Not all corals do well with heavy flow just like sps don't do well in low flow.

 

Powerhead placement is important but that differs in every tank.

 

The bio wheel filter, you will want to remove the bio wheels as they will become a place for detritus to build on as well as use custom media rather than the stock media. If you can exchange the filter, I'd recommend the seachem tidal which is far better and has a surface skimmer.

 

Heater- eheim jagger or cobalt neotherm are highly recommended.

 

Sand, you want a good sand like caribsea.

 

Rock- liverock is best especially good established rock which will already be cycled and comes with diversity of life.

 

If you go with dry rock you will need a bacteria supplement like biospira and dose ammonia to start the cycle as the rock is barren of life.

 

Either light choice you listed are excellent.

 

You don't need to go bigger. People have reefs in jars.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
HarrisonAquatics

Welcome to the forum!

 

I'm no expert by any means, but here's what I'd do.

 

Lighting:

 

I'm cheap when it comes to lighting. I don't care too much about programming lights or special effects and features. What I tend to care about is the quality of the light - how long it lasts, how well it spreads, and how well it performs for the price. For me, the best choice is usually a PAR 38 bulb on a smaller tank, or a black box Chinese fixture on my larger ones. A 29 is 30" long, so with both of my suggestions, you'd need more than one fixture (probably). 3 of the ABI 23W PAR 38's would allow you to grow softies and probably LPS as well. A black box would be a bit more difficult to scale just because your tank is so long, but maybe if you went for 2 smaller fixtures it could work well, when hung above the tank. Either way, it'll take some DIYing to get it right, but I like that way.

 

I have little to no experience with the two lights you listed above, but I feel like they're both pendant-style lights, right? If they are, you'll probably have a big spotlight right in the middle of the tank unless you raise the light way up in the air to combat that.

 

Heater:

 

You're right, this one is simple. I use Fluval heaters on my tanks, but honestly, any name-brand heater should be fine. I do recommend titanium ones over glass ones, though.

 

Flow:

 

The Koralia pumps are a great budget options - I use a 240 on my 10 gallon, and never have issues with it. I think a 425 on each side of the tank will do you well.

 

Rock:

 

I use a combo. It's cheaper that way, and you still get some hitchhikers. That said, I don't think this matters too much - at the end of the day, your dead rock will become live. I think it's good to have some of the extra life that comes in on live rock, though, for sure.

 

Bacteria:

 

Bio-Spira and Dr. Tim's are the only two I know of - honestly, I don't think you need this. You can totally use it, and it won't hurt anything, but the tank will cycle on it's own pretty quickly, usually.

 

Refractometer:

 

Nope! They're all about the same. Just make sure you get some calibration fluid with yours.

 

I guess in the sense that more water is easier to keep stable, yes, a bigger tank is easier. But, smaller tanks are less expensive, less overwhelming, and tend to be a little less work all at once than a bigger tank is. I'd say the maintenance is similar, but you do a lot less of it all at once. If you have to do a massive water change on a 125 because you had severe coral warfare, you're having a bad day. Doing the same thing on a 29 isn't so bad. I think a 29, 20 long, or a 40B are all great choices. A 40 would give more front-to-back depth, which most people tend to enjoy.

 

I think a third fish down the road isn't crazy. Depending on what kind of clowns you get, you'll have to be careful of aggression. Ocellaris and Percula clowns are pretty relaxed (usually), so as long as you stick with those two, tank mates should be fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Phantomwerkz

I'll be following along. I'm in a very similar situation as I'm getting ready to fire up a 29g after about a 15 year hiatus. Definitely rookies back then and not sure if we had it up for much more than a year or so before having an exploding heater incident and loosing my LR. Still consider myself a NOOB, so this will be NOOB v2.0 for this go around.

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

The bio wheel filter, you will want to remove the bio wheels as they will become a place for detritus to build on as well as use custom media rather than the stock media. If you can exchange the filter, I'd recommend the seachem tidal which is far better and has a surface skimmer.

 

Heater- eheim jagger or cobalt neotherm are highly recommended.

 

Sand, you want a good sand like caribsea.

 

Rock- liverock is best especially good established rock which will already be cycled and comes with diversity of life.

 

If you go with dry rock you will need a bacteria supplement like biospira and dose ammonia to start the cycle as the rock is barren of life.

Thanks a ton for the response! I have a few quick questions.

 

Remove the Bio Wheels completely or do you mean replace them frequently? I haven't opened it, so I can easily return it!

 

What size Tidal do you suggest for a 29g? I was advised to go larger than my tank, so the equivalent would be: Tidal 55 HOB Power Filter (Up to 55 Gal). Sound about right?

For heater size: 125W EHEIM JAGER AQUARIUM HEATER is rated for 40g - 53g. Sound about right? I have seen people add a second "emergency" heater. Should I look into a second smaller one?

 

1 hour ago, HarrisonAquatics said:

 

Heater:

 

You're right, this one is simple. I use Fluval heaters on my tanks, but honestly, any name-brand heater should be fine. I do recommend titanium ones over glass ones, though.

 

Flow:

 

The Koralia pumps are a great budget options - I use a 240 on my 10 gallon, and never have issues with it. I think a 425 on each side of the tank will do you well.

 

Looked around at specifically the Fluval heaters, but they all looked to be glass. I found that with Fluval, the 75W is rated for around my tank size. Any opinions on that?

Really appreciate all the feedback! This really helps me!

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted
1 hour ago, Phantomwerkz said:

I'll be following along. I'm in a very similar situation as I'm getting ready to fire up a 29g after about a 15 year hiatus. Definitely rookies back then and not sure if we had it up for much more than a year or so before having an exploding heater incident and loosing my LR. Still consider myself a NOOB, so this will be NOOB v2.0 for this go around.

Feel free to comment on anything and share your experiences! Do you have any equipment yet?

 

Edit: checked your profile! Your post is actually one of the ones I based some of my findings on. It helped me a lot! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
1 hour ago, Hasted said:

Thanks a ton for the response! I have a few quick questions.

 

Remove the Bio Wheels completely or do you mean replace them frequently? I haven't opened it, so I can easily return it!

 

What size Tidal do you suggest for a 29g? I was advised to go larger than my tank, so the equivalent would be: Tidal 55 HOB Power Filter (Up to 55 Gal). Sound about right?

For heater size: 125W EHEIM JAGER AQUARIUM HEATER is rated for 40g - 53g. Sound about right? I have seen people add a second "emergency" heater. Should I look into a second smaller one?

 

Looked around at specifically the Fluval heaters, but they all looked to be glass. I found that with Fluval, the 75W is rated for around my tank size. Any opinions on that?

Really appreciate all the feedback! This really helps me!

I personally don't run 2 heaters, some do. I use an inkbird controller on mine.

 

I would definitely do the tidal 55. It has a huge basket for media, the surface skimmer which works great at removing surface film, is fully controllable flow wise(not just low/high), and its silent.

Best filter I ever used.

 

If you keep the bio wheel, the wheels should be removed. Those are meant for freshwater tanks which need biological filtration via media use whereas with SW, livestock is your biological filtration

Share this post


Link to post
Phantomwerkz
1 hour ago, Hasted said:

Feel free to comment on anything and share your experiences! Do you have any equipment yet?

 

Edit: checked your profile! Your post is actually one of the ones I based some of my findings on. It helped me a lot! 

Working on putting everything together but looks like I'm going to be in a holding pattern based on my stand situation.

 

I was originally going to startup with my old equipment, but it's now a completely new setup. I've chosen my equipment based on a combination of what I did previously, suggestions, and budget. The basic principle for me was something a bit better than basic bare minimum, but knowing that upgrades down the line will happen.

 

I don't have too much more insight yet, just anxious to get going and a bit bummed to enter a holding pattern. I realize it's the right thing to do though... need a stand that both my wife and are happy with to start with.

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted
5 hours ago, Phantomwerkz said:

need a stand that both my wife and are happy with to start with.

What is your budget on a stand? I am going to be ~$80 in my stand once said and done. Assuming it goes as planned...

Share this post


Link to post
Phantomwerkz
7 minutes ago, Hasted said:

What is your budget on a stand? I am going to be ~$80 in my stand once said and done. Assuming it goes as planned...

CHEAP!!  😉

 

Don't know yet... I can't find what we both agree on both in price and style with a hood.  I found a design that I think I like features wise and a few more that I generally like the styles. Going to try and draw something up while hopefully keeping things simple enough to keep the cost down. I have a couple of options for builders, but it just means progress hits the skids.

 

My old stand isn't terrible, and I like the clean look of no hood with just the lights, but there are a couple of drawbacks regarding the mounts. If I go the hood route, I could return the light mounts and attach my lights to the hood.  The idea I have also allows for the lights and hood to both swing up giving me better access from the top of the tank and no interference from the glass top I'm starting out with.

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

I will edit my 1st post to reflect this, but here is my current equipment list.

 

HAVE:

Tank: Basic 29g tank - 30.25L x 12.5W x 18.75H
Stand: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - for 29 Gallon Aquariums
Lighting: AI Prime 16HD Reef Aquarium LED, Black
Test Kit: API Reef Master Test Kit

Salt: Instant Ocean 50g

 

IN CART:
Filter: Tidal 55 HOB Power Filter (Up to 55 Gal) - Seachem
Sand: ARAGONITE FIJI PINK DRY SAND 40LBS
Rock: Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock- 40 lbs
Heater: Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 150w
Powerhead: TWO Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425gph
Starter Bacteria: Instant Ocean BIO-Spira
Refractometer: PetCo Refractometer

 

 

There are still some things I need to gather up, but this is a huge chunk. If there is anything on this list that is a no go, let me know! I don't wanna buy terrible stuff!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
HarrisonAquatics

Looking good!

 

This isn't an issue, but more my personal preference: I used IO salt for a long time, and tried some Fritz RPM at the recommendation of a LFS. I fell in love with it. It mixes so, so, so much easier than IO does. Not sure how it's affecting my corals long-term yet, but they seem happy with the change, too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Phantomwerkz
1 hour ago, Hasted said:

Stand: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - for 29 Gallon Aquariums

Almost went this route for a basic stand. Wife didn't want to see "gear and stuff" even though I had some thoughts on disguising. Still deciding, but may just start out on my old stand. I know it's not ideal, but I think since we are going FOWLR to start, I can transfer the tank to a custom stand once we finally nail down what we want for sure.

 

List looks pretty solid... we are on similar setup paths. Should be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted
8 hours ago, Phantomwerkz said:

Almost went this route for a basic stand. Wife didn't want to see "gear and stuff" even though I had some thoughts on disguising. Still deciding, but may just start out on my old stand. I know it's not ideal, but I think since we are going FOWLR to start, I can transfer the tank to a custom stand once we finally nail down what we want for sure.

 

List looks pretty solid... we are on similar setup paths. Should be fun.

I am going to be adding three sections of wood to it to mask everything. I am placing two small pcs inside the the grate for the two side pieces (allowing the metal crossbars to show). On the front, I am going to use magnets to secure it so I can easily access it.

 

I am somewhat handy, but not the best. So, hopefully this works out. This is the "wood" I am going to use: https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-7-98-ft-Embossed-Gray-Homesteader-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/1000065175

 

There is a slightly darker option that's a few more dollars (and heavier) also. Hoping it is light enough to be able to be suspended by the magnets on the metal frame. If all goes well, it will match my wife's shelf she has in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Phantomwerkz
2 hours ago, Hasted said:

I am going to be adding three sections of wood to it to mask everything. I am placing two small pcs inside the the grate for the two side pieces (allowing the metal crossbars to show). On the front, I am going to use magnets to secure it so I can easily access it.

 

I am somewhat handy, but not the best. So, hopefully this works out. This is the "wood" I am going to use: https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-7-98-ft-Embossed-Gray-Homesteader-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/1000065175

 

There is a slightly darker option that's a few more dollars (and heavier) also. Hoping it is light enough to be able to be suspended by the magnets on the metal frame. If all goes well, it will match my wife's shelf she has in the room.

Ok, not kidding, this is almost identical to what I had in mind for my "disguise" idea! I may have to revisit that. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

First time adding photos here, so let's see how much I mess it up!

 

As mentioned, I am half DIY-ing my stand. I don't trust myself quite fully do go 100% DIY.

 

I bought the Imaginarium 29g metal stand and thin wall panel from Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-7-98-ft-Embossed-Gray-Homesteader-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/1000065175)

 

I decided to put the wood on the INSIDE of the metal frame to avoid the bolt heads and also allow the metal to show a bit more. The colors match the two other pieces of furniture in the room. 

 

While it is cut, it isn't finished. I need to order really thin magnets that will suspend the front panel, a thicker slab of wood for the insides to mount things to, and a couple other things (maybe a trim that fits around the wood?)

 

Also, not sure if I like the horizontal lines in front. May cut a new one and have them horizontal. I have enough left over.

20200229_142320.jpg

20200229_142301.jpg

20200229_144013.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

I officially ordered my other equipment! 

Filter: Tidal 55 HOB Power Filter (Up to 55 Gal) - Seachem

Sand: ARAGONITE FIJI PINK DRY SAND 40LBS
Rock: Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock- 40 lbs
Heater: Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 150w
Powerhead: TWO Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425gph
Starter Bacteria: Instant Ocean BIO-Spira
+12" Gooseneck for the AI Prime Light I ordered previously

I am also planning on getting:
- 5g Bucket or two

- Fish Net

- Siphon: Python Pro-Clean Squeeze Valve Combo?

- Additional Heater and Powerhead for mixing salt?

Is there anything else that I should pick up this week before I start? Seems like everyone talks about the big stuff like tank, light, etc.  Not so much about the little things like the 5g bucket and such. 

Planning on getting my rock and sand in by next weekend! Going to clean / soak all the rock for a couple days first, though. Pics will be posted, of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

Got a few things delivered today.

 

Powerheads: seem great! Magnet with suction feels strong. I wasn't expecting that great of a hold. I don't know much about correct positioning yet, so they are just tossed in for now. One towards surface, one towards base. Not like I have water in the tank yet anyway... (tested in a bucket to make sure they worked, though).  They come with these swirly "cord protector" but I am not sure if they are supposed to just go from head up or be more for where the cord hits the tank ledge? 

 

Filter: beefy! Comes with a bag of media for inside filter, too. I am pretty sure I need to also add filter floss back in there? I need to figure out what I should have back there asap...

 

BIO-Spira starter Bacteria: I thought I bought the smaller 30g or something bottle. Turns out I got the 75g bottle? Can I just use half? Haha.

 

Magnets: my front board to my half DIY stand is now stuck to my frame! I am going to adjust it, though. I added 10 freaking magnets to stop it from sliding down. I then realized I could just add a small notch that the magnets hit that prevent it from sliding... a bit if a pain right now to pull it off. Will pop off a few magnets and glue a small stopper or something. 

 

Also picked up a 1/2 inch chunk of wood to add to the inside behind the existing side "decoration" panels. I can then mount things to the thicker wood and maybe add a shelf or two. That will be Wednesday's project more than likely. 

 

Light was supposed to come today, but that's no biggie since I am also waiting on my Gooseneck before able to mount. 

 

Rocks, Sand, and Heater on their way also. 

 

Things I still need? 

Filter media? Filter floss? Is that it?

Thermometer. 

Anything else I need specifically for the cycle?

 

The last few things are proving to be tough for me to remember to get. Haha

 

Going to add a couple more pics. Is this the best way to add pictures, though? 

20200302_190835.jpg

IMG_20200302_171344_420.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Adwyth

Great idea modifying the stand like that! I might steal that idea for a future project lol

 

I really like a classic 29 gallon. I just started one myself. I’m following along and excited to see how yours turn out!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

Got my rock in yesterday! Didn't get to fiddle with it much, though. Made one quick scape just to get an idea. I still have two large rocks not in this scape. I want rock surface area, but also not take up too much space and crowd my clowns. (See pic). Will do a few more placements and find what looks best.

 

Sand and heater SHOULD come today. Rock is soaking and will spray down then soak again. Want to get as much of the dust out as possible. It isn't nearly as bad as some reviews online. Must have gotten lucky with clean-ish rock. 

 

Picking up light today from LFS. I should be good to go once I am satisfied with rock soaking!

 

Getting real excited!

20200304_063212.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
On 3/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, Hasted said:

Got a few things delivered today.

 

Powerheads: seem great! Magnet with suction feels strong. I wasn't expecting that great of a hold. I don't know much about correct positioning yet, so they are just tossed in for now. One towards surface, one towards base. Not like I have water in the tank yet anyway... (tested in a bucket to make sure they worked, though).  They come with these swirly "cord protector" but I am not sure if they are supposed to just go from head up or be more for where the cord hits the tank ledge? 

 

Filter: beefy! Comes with a bag of media for inside filter, too. I am pretty sure I need to also add filter floss back in there? I need to figure out what I should have back there asap...

 

BIO-Spira starter Bacteria: I thought I bought the smaller 30g or something bottle. Turns out I got the 75g bottle? Can I just use half? Haha.

 

Magnets: my front board to my half DIY stand is now stuck to my frame! I am going to adjust it, though. I added 10 freaking magnets to stop it from sliding down. I then realized I could just add a small notch that the magnets hit that prevent it from sliding... a bit if a pain right now to pull it off. Will pop off a few magnets and glue a small stopper or something. 

 

Also picked up a 1/2 inch chunk of wood to add to the inside behind the existing side "decoration" panels. I can then mount things to the thicker wood and maybe add a shelf or two. That will be Wednesday's project more than likely. 

 

Light was supposed to come today, but that's no biggie since I am also waiting on my Gooseneck before able to mount. 

 

Rocks, Sand, and Heater on their way also. 

 

Things I still need? 

Filter media? Filter floss? Is that it?

Thermometer. 

Anything else I need specifically for the cycle?

 

The last few things are proving to be tough for me to remember to get. Haha

 

Going to add a couple more pics. Is this the best way to add pictures, though? 

20200302_190835.jpg

IMG_20200302_171344_420.jpg

That stand looks great!

 

The tidal filter is awesome, my favourite filter out of all the ones I've used.

 

During cycling, just filter floss is really needed. I've used carbon but I have never dosed bacteria or ammonia, so if you are going that route for cycling I'd skip any chemical media until after the cycle.

 

There are tons of little things I have found have come in handy.

 

Buckets- I always have at least 4 on hand.

Towels - I use dedicated hand towels for just my tanks.

Inkbird heater controller

 

Digital thermostat- I get mine on Ebay, they are cheaper and lasted longer than the expensive coraline I had

 

Extra heater/pump for salt mixing

Media bags, container of good carbon

Long tweezers, pipettes, gel crazy glue, rock epoxy, 

 

Refractometer and calibration fluid

Eggcrate and craft mesh

 

Now for cycling the tank, you only need the heater, filter with floss, sand, rock, powerheads, ammonia/nitrate test kit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

Got my AI Prime today! My mount for it should also be here today. 

 

BUT! I am an idiot.

 

Plugged it all in to do the firmware update and all. Wasn't planning on using it, but wanted to make sure it was ready. 

 

Downloaded a schedule and slapped it in the app. 

 

Screenshot the schedule, sent it to a friend, and then... I heard the fan running. 

 

It didn't register to me that the schedule would run as soon as I put it on for the light. Since it was sitting on top of my wire... this happened. (See pic). It seems as though it only barely melted through the outer sheath and the inner wire is still covered. Am I still safe to use probably? I was going to wrap the spot in electrical tape to be safe.

 

Great start!

 

 

20200304_164235.jpg

 

 

Edit: a few minutes after posting this, my mount came in. I was so close to avoiding melting crap... haha! This is where we are at:

20200304_172525.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Don't feel bad, the light goes on immediately. We learned that in a similar way.

 

Put the light on a desk chair while going through things and within seconds it burnt through the fabric. 

 

Another member had one burn their linoleum floor.

 

As for safety, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
HarrisonAquatics

Use it at your own risk... but I think you'd be fine. I'd wrap it very, very, very nicely in some electrical tape, and maybe even wrap that entire section of cord in some water-proofing plastic, but it should be fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hasted

Update! Going to have my father (electrician) check out my light cable and doctor it up if needed. He is way more educated on wires and such than me, so makes sense to have him check it! I also emailed AI to see if they sell replacement cords (only the detachable ones are in their store). I do not want to burn down my new house...

 

Got the rocks into the tank last night. Was going to wash the sand, but ended up falling asleep while watching a video about sand washing...

 

29g tanks just don't have a huge amount of floor space. Tried to keep the rock away from the glass so I have space to clean. Forces me to build up quite high.

 

I tried my best to keep the tank interesting looking rather than just symmetrical pillars. The right side sticks up about where water level will be. Once the water evaporates a bit (before a top off) the rock will more than likely be episode a little. Is that fine? Or should I spin the rock some to make it not stick up so high?

 

The front left rock has no character. No holes or anything. I have one more large rock I am going to chip to try to get a better looking replacement around the same size. I like the single rock by itself and it creates a small cove with the other rock.

 

Right now the rocks feel very stable. I have shaken them with a good force and no movement. Took a while to get it there. 

 

Powerhead! Right now, I have one facing downward, but it pushes right the return of my pump. Is that fine? I had it going in front of the rocks, but the wire then stretched the width if the tank, and that will be a highly viewed angle (the side you enter the room from usually). I could keep it there and run the wire straight up and then with the black frame to hide it better.

 

Holy short Thermometer cord length! The heck am I supposed to do with this!??

 

I have not worked on the stand any more. Did not add the magnet stopper, inside walls, or a shelf. I plan to do that as a way to entertain myself while the tank cycles. I have plenty of time!

 

I got in my Filter Media (thanks to @Clown79 for answering a million of those questions) which was the last thing I NEEDED for my cycle. I think.

 

So many questions and random ramblings.. sorry! I am probably going to be adding water tonight once I finish cleaning this sand!!! And deciding how much sand... I see every single thickness from 1" to 3"... I think I am going to aim for roughly 1.25" to 1.5". Used a dry erase marker to mark 1.5 around the whole tank, so will try not to go above that. Unless someone tells me other wise... but it seems variable for each person.

20200306_064251.jpg

20200306_064200.jpg

20200306_064227.jpg

20200306_064212.jpg

20200306_064233.jpg

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...