Coral Vue Hydros

(RIP) 365 Day BushWacking Stix

The Rainy Day Aquarium

On 2/27/2020 at 7:36 PM, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Still trying to decide with both. The return pump won't be enough for flow so I'll need to get a wavemaker of sorts. I'll be manually dosing probably until the budget comes in later this spring 😊

You seen these ?  

1295444770_Screenshot_20200325-213634_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.c318f840cb432f67711098d30f35e0c9.jpg

1535068048_Screenshot_20200325-213706_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.a91f550f483252fd43a1a6cbee6ddf40.jpg

• Wow 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
14 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

that's a sweet haul what else did you get?

Thanks! I ended up getting quite a bit but haven't gotten around to getting any decent pictures of any, but here is the list as of right now:

-Pink, green, and purple Stylophora

-Sunny Ds, Pink Zipper, and some misc. green Zoas

-Orange and green Leptastrea

- Misc. green scoly

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
20 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

You seen these ?  

1295444770_Screenshot_20200325-213634_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.c318f840cb432f67711098d30f35e0c9.jpg

1535068048_Screenshot_20200325-213706_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.a91f550f483252fd43a1a6cbee6ddf40.jpg

I have! But the lowest it runs is about 640gph (@40% of 1600gph) I feel that it might be too strong for what I want? I'm replacing the return pump with a Cobalt MJ 606 and probably going to put a 1/4" RFG nozzle on it.

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
7 hours ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

I've always wanted a prawn goby!  Very cool.  

Same! They are such a fantastic little fish and I consider them the pinnacle for nano and pico reefs. I have always wanted to study and figure out how to breed these but maybe later when I have more time and a lot more money 😅

• Like 2
SaltyGallon
On 3/28/2020 at 10:51 PM, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Same! They are such a fantastic little fish and I consider them the pinnacle for nano and pico reefs. I have always wanted to study and figure out how to breed these but maybe later when I have more time and a lot more money 😅

Gorgeous mate! Just been having a look on google, very unique too. How's the little guy/gal faring?

The Rainy Day Aquarium

They've been doing great! They hang out together a lot and have claimed the bottom rock in the tank as their own. They don't really touch flake food much, but really enjoy frozen foods and even ReefRoids haha. They seem to be more of a scavenger and as my tank is still pretty new I have to keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting enough food. But overall they seem to be hardy and amazing little fish with fun personalities!  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Just recieved an order this morning from @Cultivated Reef (good start to the weekend 😉). I took my lunch break to come home from work and acclimate all my new goodies; haha my coworkers will never understand! This round was all sticks- I even got brave and am trying a few acros 😵. All the frags are top notch and look great, and shoutout to Holly for awesome customer service! 

I ran out of gel superglue so I had to get crafty with how I was mounting the frags, but overall I think it doesn't look half bad head on.

PSX_20200417_200059.thumb.jpg.9971465d7db64e6ac8464e37a1cc2551.jpg

Here is what I got:

Bird of Paradise Birdnest

Ponape Birdnest

Tyree Rainbow Stylo

Purple and Green Monti

Tri Color Acro

Electric Myagi Tort Acro

Commoners Envy Pocillipora

I'll try to get better photos of each one in due time.

I actually moved all of the coral from the 4.1 gallon due to degrading water quality (despite water changes), so this small 3 gallon pico is just about topped off with coral😅. Algae is staring to show up too so I think it might be time to pick up a more substantial CUC. 

Anyways, thanks for stopping by!

Everyone stay safe and healthy!

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Sooooooooooooooo yeah I did some more things :happydance:

FTS 04/23/2020

PSX_20200423_210052.thumb.jpg.6fcfa2395ac0e62f5fc372519ab14622.jpg

Red Scolymia

PSX_20200423_205835.thumb.jpg.188208e03b1e8faa889704f0f0c1b57b.jpg

Crocea Clam (small about 1")

PSX_20200423_203932.thumb.jpg.7d5f23be457663073b6581f55388f3d9.jpg

I'm going to have to reorder my CUC as well. The one I got, well, I didn't get, haha long story short. Probably am going to order from Reef Cleaners or KP Aquatics. 

Short and sweet!

Make it a great weekend everyone!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 4/20/2020 at 8:36 PM, Tamberav said:

Really nice additions and great little DIY tank 🙂 It is going to look awesome when it fills in!

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to everything filling in too. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:16 AM, Fryguy0201 said:

This looks amazing so far love the rock flowing over the edge, probably my favorite hardscape I've seen for one of these drop off tanks.

Thanks! Haha it's nice to look at, but man it's sure a pain to work around when gluing frags and such 😅 at least it looks good right? 😅

On 4/21/2020 at 9:55 AM, debbeach13 said:

Your tank and scape look great. Good luck with the new coral.

Thank you! It's a learning curve but everything is looking good! Best motivation to do water changes is dumping a bunch of money in your tank 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Well, I never thought that I'd be in this position. Due to unforseen circumstances we have had to move our furniture around and that put my poor little pico reef without a spot to be. I have thought a lot about how I could make it work, but with our small apartment and the peculiar size of the tank , I just don't see a way that it can remain operating. (I mean, unless it was on the floor in our living room haha 😅). There isn't much to save anyways as I had a huge bout of red cyano wipe my tank almost clean. (Saved the scoly and the clam as well as a few other misc. pieces). I do have my 4.1 gallon tank that I could restart with (I remember there being some talk about swapping tanks out during the contest but I can't seem to find if that idea was resolved or not in the contest thread?) But I guess I will have to see with @Christopher Marks with an official ruling. Ugh, haha really not happy about all of this, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes eh?

FTS for the memories😭

PSX_20200418_213618.thumb.jpg.af32a775ab083b1814727d0cd3fbe4ee.jpg

• Sad 4
  • 2 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

After more thought on this issue, I figured I could grab my handy "shrink ray" and produce a smaller version of the dropoff tank and place it on a bookshelf that I have. Trying to keep with the same design and theme. Now, I just need to remember where I put it at...🤔

• Haha 4
  • 4 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

We'll, bad news. The shrink ray is broken. Try as I might it just won't work😞 I suppose this is my official resignation from the 365 competition. (In all seriousness, life has been incredibly lively for me with moving homes/new jobs/illness/etc. so my reef tanks have taken a back seat for now). I'll still be lurking around and cheering (or booing 😂) from the side lines! Good luck to you all!

• Sad 3
The Rainy Day Aquarium
25 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Moving and a new job sounds exciting. Illness and no time for tanks not so much. I hope you are feeling better. Sorry to read your out of the contest. That was a cool tank.

For sure! We've been having to do some minor renovations to our new place we'll be living in (remodeling the bathroom, fresh paint, general updating of things, etc.) So that takes up my weekends plus work and such, whew!  It's sad to be out, but I have some projects I'm excited for planned for when things cool down a bit in a few months 😁

• Like 1