Coral Vue Hydros

(RIP) 365 Day BushWacking Stix

The Rainy Day Aquarium

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Well, I figured I waited long enough to enter the 365 Day Challenge, so here we go! omgomgomg

Theme:

As the title would suggest, this tank is going to be dominantly SPS coral with a few misc. coral to help balance the scape. In addition, a subtheme of "DIY" will be used because, well, there isn't a whole lot of equipment for pico reef tanks out there.👷‍♂️🚧🚨

Equipment:

• Aquarium: 3 Gallon Dropoff AIO (DIY)
  • Lighting: Asta 20 Marine
  • Heater: 10watt Aqueon heater with Cobalt NeoStat controller
  • Return Pump: Cobalt MJ 606
  • Wave Maker: mini USB fountain pump
  • Media Reactor: DIY
  • Skimmer: DIY

Livestock:

Coral:

• Goniopora (KIA💔)
  • Pipeorgan
  • Zoas (Pink Zipper, Sunny Ds, Green misc. Scrambled Eggs, Froot Loops, Utter Chaos)
  • Green/Orange Leptastrea
  • Green Scoly
  • Orange and green Blasto
  • Duncan
  • Neon Green Sinularia 
  • Neon Green Discosoma
  • Green and purple Rhodactis
  • Red Flame Rhodactis
  • Bird of Paradise Bridnest
  • Ponape Birdnest
  • Tyree Rainbow Stylo
  • Commoners Envy Procillipora
  • Tri Color Acro
  • Electric Myagi Toet Acro
  • Purple and Green Monti

Fish:

• Pair of Griesengeri Gobies

CUC:

• Three Nerite snails

There is still a lot to do, but I'm excited to see what this little reef can do!

FTS 02/26/2020

PSX_20200226_185621.thumb.jpg.5152916719ad806de0951312c9960375.jpg

FTS 03/25/2020

PSX_20200324_200435.thumb.jpg.11892da6b2d23fb407ca37319a3a32fd.jpg

FTS 04/23/2020

PSX_20200423_210052.thumb.jpg.a01278dbd85849e70c27604a78e4ae5f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 3
The Rainy Day Aquarium
1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Is there going to be a lip of sorts on the interior vertical that makes up the drop off wall to hold in sand/rock work from the upper level? 

Good question. I intentionally left it without a lip as I am leaning towards having the top shelf covered with encrusting corals and such but we'll see. 

This guy is extra salty
5 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Good question. I intentionally left it without a lip as I am leaning towards having the top shelf covered eith encrusting corals and such but we'll see. 

What Weld-on did you use?

This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

@This guy is extra salty I used #3 for all the joints. I did use #16 (sparingly) for a few spots that needed some gap filling (I wasn't joking about the hand saw thing 😂). Water test should be here in a few days so we'll see if she holds. 

You should be good with using 16 on the joints. I personally use SC94 (equivalent to WO5) I only use WO3 for quick fixes and making Jigs. You could’ve mixed some 16 and 3 for a fast setting gel. It works the same lol but I’m still wondering why you used 1/2” acrylic lol overkill much?

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You should be good with using 16 on the joints. I personally use SC94 (equivalent to WO5) I only use WO3 for quick fixes and making Jigs. You could’ve mixed some 16 and 3 for a fast setting gel. It works the same lol but I’m still wondering why you used 1/2” acrylic lol overkill much?

Haha I used 3/8", I was just tired of my other tanks bowing so I did go a bit overkill on thinkness to eliminate that worry of mine 😅. I actually found #3 easier to work with and much less messy than 16. I'm no pro, so a lot of this was experimenting with different consistencies of weld-on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
15 hours ago, Azur said:

Very cool mate, especially as DIY!!! What are your plans for flow and dosing? 😁

Still trying to decide with both. The return pump won't be enough for flow so I'll need to get a wavemaker of sorts. I'll be manually dosing probably until the budget comes in later this spring 😊

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Spent the evening playing with rocks haha. Scaping this was quite the challenge, but I think I've settled on this iteration of hard scape for now. I even added some pizzazz lighting haha 🎉🎇 Also, one of the local guys is tearing down his frag tank tomorrow so I'm going to go check things out🤫🧐

PSX_20200306_205004.thumb.jpg.f5bffba56aa12a72d2d10e8bbf2936e5.jpg

• Like 4

nice scape it looks like its melting off the ledge.

I see you are in Utah I am up in Jackson. nice to see another rocky mountain reefer.

I hope you get some great corals form the tank tare down.

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
9 hours ago, devaji108 said:

nice scape it looks like its melting off the ledge.

I see you are in Utah I am up in Jackson. nice to see another rocky mountain reefer.

I hope you get some great corals form the tank tare down.

Haha it kind of does🌋 oh nice! Yeah we seem to be kind of a rare breed. Thank you! I hope I get some too!😁

4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That looks great. Good luck shopping from that guy's tank. 

Thank you! Hopefully he's not cleared out😅

The Rainy Day Aquarium

We just got home from a super busy weekend. Not much of a break, but it was fun to be with family and friends.The frag tank tear down was great! It was a local vendor that frequents a lot of shows nation wide and they had some pretty cool stuff! I ended up spending way too long there haha just chatting and swapping stories (and I spent wayyyy too much, but I couldn't help myself😅😁). We all had a good time. I got some new coral that I've never kept before, but I'm excited to see how they turn out! I'm sitting right now acclimating everything so it's going to be a late night for me. *Sigh* the things we do for our tanks! I'll get some photos up of my loot when everything settles down. 😁

20200309_002242.thumb.jpg.74d0b79d9069a11725638fec23192195.jpg

• Like 9
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Some teaser photos of what I got 🤓 seriously considering getting a macro lens to start getting closeups of these guys 🤔

PSX_20200310_174635.thumb.jpg.67c1a5adf0c54c2c9a6ebb7cb345d2c9.jpg

Green Pipeorgan. I've always wanted to give these guys a shot! I promised my friend I would keep this thing alive as it's her favorite coral and I got the last frag. (No pressure 😅🤪)

PSX_20200310_161340.thumb.jpg.2fbe4d2f422a7accf740afaf3ee6f355.jpg

Goniopora. Another one on my bucket list to keep. This is growing to be my favorite.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...