Cultivated Reef

filter for my nano

bigdnutz

I am new to the hobby but have kept and maintained traditional saltwater tanks in the past. From what I have read in the getting started section, nano tanks shouldn't require a filter. As I go through the photo gallery I can't help but see that most everyone has a filter. I guess I am just confused. Should I plan on getting a filter for my nano or not?

reeferbarra20

Yes you should get a filter. As for your biological filtration, I recommend using Lr rubble in place of your bio-balls/ceramic rings, because you never have to clean that out. Just my two cents.

I would like to set up a 30 gallon with LR and keep a few corals. the fish load would be very small, maybe 2 or 3 tops. I have a good powerhead for water movement too. The tank is currently a freshie tank and I have a canister filter on it, fluval 400. HOBs get too much salt build up on them don't they?

FYI

Just some background of mine in fish keeping. I have kept many different freshwater tanks and also had a 55 gallon, fish only saltwater tank for about a year. I consistently struggled with keeping my ammonia, nitrate levels in check and didn't really have the money to upgrade to a better setup. I sold my fish back to the LFS. I have gone back to freshwater beacuse that's a system I feel like I have a good grasp on. I still love the salt water fish and corals. I have read a lot but want to do this right the second time around so please give me your suggestions and let me know what works for you.

Thanks

Archived