Top Shelf Aquatics

Not a mantis, right?

Chriss Fishes

Chriss Fishes

I ordered in a Peacock Mantis yesterday to my LFS, and went to pick him up today. I picked him up in the shipping bag, which was basically opaque.

Came home, poured him out into my acclimation container, and... this isn't a mantis, right? Definitely not a peacock, sure - but this is 100% not a species of any stomapod, correct? It looks more like some type of lobster or shrimp to me.

It's white, and has one large claw (with the other being rather small). It doesn't have mantis shrimp eyes - they're just like what you might see on a normal shrimp, AKA very small. It's hind end and swimerrettes are kind of separated from the "chest" area of the shrimp in a way that mantises aren't as well, and neither are most shrimp/lobsters I've seen.

Ideas?

IMG_20200225_173945.thumb.jpg.598bb931d05cd03a9234fb0847f44984.jpg

IMG_20200225_173942.thumb.jpg.7d298948328307a330a5e15d2cf07c79.jpg

Chriss Fishes

Yeah, I already texted my LFS owner about it. I'm sure he'll take care of me - he's a great guy. He wouldn't have sold it if he could have seen through the bag, anyway.

I appreciate your help! I was 99.9% sure it was no species of mantis, but I thought maybe it was just a really young spearer species or something. Good to know the truth!

• Like 1