Pod Your Reef

what saltwater invertebrates can be housed in 5 gallon tank

kate123

Porcelain crab, anemone crab, several varieties of anemone shrimp, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits, fighting conch..... as long as you keep them well fed they should be fine in a 5 gallon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kate123 said:

could you put any species of starfish in a 5 gallon ? maybe like two or even just one by itself in a 5 gallon ? im really interested in any invertebrates .

asterina stars and micro brittles.

Most starfish would slowly starve and die in a tank so small. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

asterina stars and micro brittles.

Most starfish would slowly starve and die in a tank so small. 

okay good thats what i was thinking. i only want something small and easy to start off for my first tank and not too challenging considering i have other pets to take care of. i assumed through my research these would be good thank you for confirming this !

ChristopherDido
15 minutes ago, kate123 said:

mind me asking but what are rfa's?

Rock Flower Anemones, they come in all kinds of crazy different colors and are beautiful.

• Like 2

If starfish are particularly interesting, you really should consider some Asterinas. 

They get on the glass all the time, which makes then EXCELLENT subjects for investigation with a magnifying glass, jeweler's loupe, or even one of those digital microscopes that come on a suction cup stand.  (Which are uselessly shaky for anything else besides tank viewing....opt for the metal stand.)

Also consider just having a tank of micro-inverts:  copepods, amphipods, mysids, bristleworms, spaghetti worms, Asterinas, micro- and mini-Brittlestars, etc.  The list is long and full of interesting critters!

I think I ran my first tank (37 gallons) for at least a year or two before I added a fish -- it was just corals and pods everywhere!!  Very cool.  I actually kinda regretted adding the fish the very next day after adding it.  (He ate all the pods and then jumped out 30 days later, so I really regretted it in the end.)

• Like 2
On 3/2/2020 at 3:27 PM, mcarroll said:

If starfish are particularly interesting, you really should consider some Asterinas. 

They get on the glass all the time, which makes then EXCELLENT subjects for investigation with a magnifying glass, jeweler's loupe, or even one of those digital microscopes that come on a suction cup stand.  (Which are uselessly shaky for anything else besides tank viewing....opt for the metal stand.)

Also consider just having a tank of micro-inverts:  copepods, amphipods, mysids, bristleworms, spaghetti worms, Asterinas, micro- and mini-Brittlestars, etc.  The list is long and full of interesting critters!

I think I ran my first tank (37 gallons) for at least a year or two before I added a fish -- it was just corals and pods everywhere!!  Very cool.  I actually kinda regretted adding the fish the very next day after adding it.  (He ate all the pods and then jumped out 30 days later, so I really regretted it in the end.)

wow thank you for this really good answer ! and yes i find all the little bottom dwellers very fascinating and will definitely look into these thank you 

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

I love sexy shrimp as they are small, colorful and fun to watch as they dance around.  Since low bioload and peaceful together you could get several. Mine host a mini maxi carpet anemone which stays small but have heard others say they sometimes will host certain lps?