inTank Media Baskets

Microscopic Fluval Edge 12g🐟👓

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This my tank journal for my Hagen Fluval edge 12 gallon tank. This is an aquarium meant for my college dorm.  I paid 60 dollars for the tank and everything it came with.

Tank and equipment:

-12 gallon acrylic Hagen Fluval edge tank

- Hipargero LED aquarium lighting- 30W light with touch control and 3W cree chips

-stock filter

- Hydor circulation and wave pump- 240 gph

- Fluval submersible heater 

Tank Inhabitants:

• Fish

- Gold nugget maroon clownfish

- Yellow Watchman Goby

• Coral

- Neon Toadstool leather coral

- Bleeding Apple Scoly

- Cynarina button coral

- 3 godspawn bounce mushrooms

- Unknown red acan

- 2 headed green stem purple tip hammer

- 8+ head duncan coral

- Radioactive dragon eye zoas

- Utter chaos zoas

- Unknown gold zoas (maybe nirvana)

- Gorilla nipple zoas

- Green rock flower anemone

- Haitian Anemone

- Green spotted disco mushroom

• Inverts     

- 15+ various kinds of snails

- golf ball sized zebra striped hermit crab

- 2+ blue legged hermits

- Bristolworms

- Red tunicates

You can do a lot with a 6g. I have seen this tank converted to sw. The light would need replacing, I think someone has cut out the top black plastic and run an ai through it.

You could do a small fish like a tailspot blenny, rfa's, corals, shrimp, crabs, and macro.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You can do a lot with a 6g. I have seen this tank converted to sw. The light would need replacing, I think someone has cut out the top black plastic and run an ai through it.

You could do a small fish like a tailspot blenny, rfa's, corals, shrimp, crabs, and macro.

I thought the stock lighting definitely wouldn’t be good enough for anything. I’ll probably get an AI prime Hd or a type of kessil light. I never considered a blenny, I was really actually thinking about a type of coral crouching goby. Like the ones on liveaquaria, or a type of coral goby. Like the small ones. Maybe a yellow clown goby, or a green one. But I really like the coral crouching gobys. I read that they need at least 10 gallons, but do you think I could keep maybe one of them in this tank? I’m planning on having corals as well. No acros, but the sps I would have would be monti caps and birdsnest.

• 3 months later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m gonna go ahead and revive this thread, bc I’m in the process of downsizing my current 29 gallon tank to this new tank for college. I decided to trade the 6 gallon tank for a 12 gallon. I just paid an extra $20 for it. 

I’m beginning to cycle the tank now, I’m not really sure tho if there will be much of a cycle. I bought exactly 12 gallons of pre mixed saltwater from an lfs in PA when I last went up there. And the live rock was in a curing tank for more than a year. I’m hoping there will be very little die off and almost no cycle if possible. The live rock is very nice. 

804D1C93-DD3C-463C-A15F-DCB885720B41.jpeg

999A3FF2-3DF9-4DCA-AEC2-C1C4BEB0DD03.jpeg

9C430EE8-9D7D-4C2A-8453-5EB6970ACE29.jpeg

CB183D81-4865-4C8A-9393-D20EB973A358.jpeg

Is this 12 or 6 gallon? 

The coral croucher "goby" is, I think, a scorpionfish? I believe they're nocturnal, and I have no idea how active they are at night, so I don't know what tank size they need. If they sit immobile at night like they do all day, you could practically put them in a jar if not for the cleanliness and temperature issues. If they move around, though, they'd need more room. 

Tall tank makes me think tall livestock. Gorgonians and taller algaes like halimeda and the tall-form codium come to mind.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This is a 12 gallon now, I tried to change everything from when it was supposed to be a 6 gallon, I may have missed a few by accident. 

I’m hoping to be able to move some of live rock from my 29 gallon tank over to this tank to hopefully give me more places to put corals and to let me put higher light corals up there. 

Im gonna have to do more research on the coral crouching goby, which yes it is a member of the scorpion fish family. They stay small and if I’m correct, I think that liveaquaria says a minimum of 10 gallons.

Don’t quote me tho

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Right now I’m using the stock lighting on the tank. Which I doubt it could keep anything alive other than softies and macro algae. I’m planning on upgrading here soon before I put any corals in the tank. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have a list of the inhabitants that I would like to keep in the tank if possible. Just tell me if this seems ok? 
-1 clown

-1 one yellow watchman goby 

-1 coral crouching goby

I may possibly switch out the yellow watchman goby and just go for a mated pair of coral crouching gobys instead. I haven’t quite decided.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m considering upgrading to this lighting, what does everyone think? Seems like a good size and fit.

4C7AB65E-A08A-49A2-8F3E-F78D2E8AAE97.png

Are you super set on it being a yellow watchman goby? Antenna gobies stay half the mass, so are better for smaller tanks, and are more suited for a candycane pistol shrimp. You shouldn't put a tiger pistol in that tank, they like more space, so if you want a pistol (which you should get!) you should get a candycane/Randall's. IMO, get an antenna or Yasha goby, but a yellow watchman should work.

3 nano fish, only one of them aggressive, is a perfectly reasonable stocking for a 12-gallon tank with some softies and macros. 

I've never used that light, but I've seen people who use it and like it. Can't beat the price, and the shallow tank does mean it's easier for the light to get to the bottom, so you don't necessarily need a super-strong light.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Tired said:

Are you super set on it being a yellow watchman goby? Antenna gobies stay half the mass, so are better for smaller tanks, and are more suited for a candycane pistol shrimp. You shouldn't put a tiger pistol in that tank, they like more space, so if you want a pistol (which you should get!) you should get a candycane/Randall's. IMO, get an antenna or Yasha goby, but a yellow watchman should work.

3 nano fish, only one of them aggressive, is a perfectly reasonable stocking for a 12-gallon tank with some softies and macros. 

I've never used that light, but I've seen people who use it and like it. Can't beat the price, and the shallow tank does mean it's easier for the light to get to the bottom, so you don't necessarily need a super-strong light.

Alright thank you, the only reason I was considering a yellow watchman, was bc I’m kinda attached to the one in my other tank. He’s become one of my favorites

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Bc I bought 3 year old already cured live rock and the water was pre mixed, I don’t think I really needed to go through much of a cycle. I checked my params today and ammonia was close to none. Nitrites are 0, Ph is 8.2, nitrates we’re actually undetectable tho, so I may have to do something to up those. It could be bc I haven’t added much livestock yet tho. 

I did end of adding one little hermit today to see how the new tank holds up. He appears to be living in heaven. Has that entire tank to himself. 

I also added a sand bed today, as well as order the new light for the tank. 

Sorry for so much blue, the light is stuck on the blue setting and that’s another reason why I ordered a new light.

75F41EEA-FFBE-4CBF-B7F3-317D5AF23278.jpeg

A618F5D8-1ED7-4EB7-939C-013A831C900B.jpeg

773D2464-3096-4F70-8A19-ED5F069BFCCD.jpeg

9A3652B7-F312-481D-8BCF-EC80D53D97BE.jpeg

• Like 1

Any ammonia means your cycle isn't done. You may have cycled rock, but you don't have much- and I would question where the ammonia is coming from. Did you add an ammonia source? 

Water has basically no impact on cycle. The amount of beneficial bacteria that lives in the water is pretty negligible. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I was using an api test kit, so it could be wrong. But it was very close to 0, it could’ve been 0. I need to get a new test kit

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The tank is looking really good, corals are doing great, no fish have been added yet, but I’m probably gonna add them today. Jerry is just vibing in this tank with a little hermit. I’ll get some pictures. 

Also, here’s the stocking list as of right now:

Corals:
-sour apple scoly

-neon yellow goniopora

-Duncan’s

-Mystery mushroom

-neon green zoas(I don’t have an actual name yet for them.)

Invertebrates:

-Jerry

-Mystery hermit from reefcleaners

-Green rock flower anemone

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I got the sour apple scoly for dirt cheap bc of how it looked. The dealer said that it was damaged when it arrived in last months shipment and it’s been the same way ever since, so I went ahead and took the risk. Hopefully it’ll heal in my tank. I did find something peculiar on the bottom of the scoly when I dipped it tho. I found 3 little spider looking crabs. They are nearly invisible and it was really hard to get this picture of it. I wonder if these crabs could’ve been causing the damage. 

2B23B057-B174-4D9E-AD3E-7DF031A149B1.jpeg

3A368DA3-6910-4B9F-8473-A54098885ECA.jpeg

He’s squished up in a little ball right now, he wouldn’t open for me, but he has long legs kinda like a daddy long legs spider if anyone knows what that is

• Like 1

Hm, the spider creatures could have been causing the problem. Maybe they're sea spiders. Do you have them, still? I would probably put them in half a gallon or so of water and just watch them, if they're still alive, try to get some good pics. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey y’all, just wanted to make an update. I finally moved most of the stuff from my other tank to this tank and everything is looking great. I’ve been battling my first Dino’s outbreak for the past week, but it seems to be slowing down. Here’s some pictures. 

D7DCEDC2-CAE8-40C8-9B94-558C37C0B309.jpeg

3EC1F55B-20E9-4BB9-9FE8-436ED62B093B.jpeg

53F95623-6FBA-4F8D-9EDC-BB4FFA74D872.jpeg

2E02F33D-CA4E-4E30-AA75-9190E7F31527.jpeg

1D1C264B-50DE-4DAE-BA80-90BD54E1F5B1.jpeg

4381F94A-A199-4D91-A6AA-C1BCEDC329E7.jpeg

2430CD85-EE27-4B21-8C45-3980FED582B6.jpeg

9CEE1C88-2404-453E-AAD9-18514A7847CE.jpeg

C197EB37-201F-4562-BA02-9A1580994549.jpeg

F029A5C5-7267-42F9-BDE2-12D61C3B7A36.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Sooooooo... y’all know how y’all said that the red tunicates on the zoa frag plug probably wouldn’t survive?? Welllllll, it seems to be multiplying at an exponential rate. They are growing like crazy. I could start fragging these things and people may actually want to buy them bc they are kinda a unique thing and it’s pretty. 

5541AA8C-2052-4B85-BF9D-5CACBE5C044F.jpeg

That’s what the tunicates looked like when I got them. Here’s what they look like now. It’s crazy.

5FFCA765-74CB-46E4-A17A-6BB3017D7A47.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The plate coral is not surviving the move for some reason and I don’t understand why. I’m gonna keep the skeleton tho bc I heard that it can make babies after it dies. 

52676459-BF07-4762-B328-F4A68C939441.jpeg

Of course the Goni decides to close up right as I’m trying to take a picture 

83984BA3-275B-4FD6-ADD5-CD3F2A271E30.jpeg

• Sad 1