RedTheReefer

RedTheReefer's Rock Flower Garden - 365 AIO Challenge

This guy is extra salty
On 7/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, RedTheReefer said:

20200729_182256.jpg

I see it do you remember if it was polycarbonate or acrylic?

• Like 2

RedTheReefer
36 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I see it do you remember if it was polycarbonate or acrylic?

Is there a way to tell the difference? I'm pretty sure I requested acrylic.

Tired

You might want to invest in a small webcam-style camera that you can access from an app on your phone, like those home security devices. If all those anemones spawn at once, all the organic matter in the water could be a major problem. If you had a camera on it, you could at least check on it frequently during spawning season. Running carbon is probably a good idea, too. 

Good to know about the different vendors, I love RFAs and will definitely be adding to my batch. 

Aqua Splendor
On 7/29/2020 at 7:34 PM, RedTheReefer said:

Bonus photo featuring a baby!

20200729_181457.jpg

I don't remember seeing this variation of color, really cool!

• Like 2

RedTheReefer
Just now, Aqua Splendor said:

I don't remember seeing this variation of color, really cool!

This is exactly why I got this anemone. Never saw anything like it so I had to have it!

• Like 1

debbeach13

That is beautiful!

• Like 1

RedTheReefer
Just now, debbeach13 said:

That is beautiful!

Thank you. 🙂

RedTheReefer

Small Update:

Nothing much has changed. No new additions but I do see some growth on my rock flowers. 🙂 I do have some macro algae on the way for the tank - some blue hypnea and red dragon's breath. I am super stoked to add these.

Unfortunately, I think I have encountered dinoflagelletes. I'll post some pictures tomorrow because I am a little uncertain if it is in fact dino because this look different from when I encountered them in my other tank. I don't see any web-like structures. Only hair like looking stuff on the sand and maybe some strings of bubbles.  It only forms in the higher flow areas on the sand. Maybe early signs of dinos or could it be diatoms? I am unsure to be honest. Pictures to come tomorrow.

• Like 1

Amphrites
5 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

Small Update:

Nothing much has changed. No new additions but I do see some growth on my rock flowers. 🙂 I do have some macro algae on the way for the tank - some blue hypnea and red dragon's breath. I am super stoked to add these.

Unfortunately, I think I have encountered dinoflagelletes. I'll post some pictures tomorrow because I am a little uncertain if it is in fact dino because this look different from when I encountered them in my other tank. It could be diatoms. I am unsure to be honest.

If it's more like a slimy-carpet without bubbles, but it still has that color which you really only find in dino's it may be amphidinium or another large-cell dino.

• Like 1

RedTheReefer
Just now, Amphrites said:

If it's more like a slimy-carpet without bubbles, but it still has that color which you really only find in dino's it may be amphidinium or another large-cell dino.

There's some bubbles and I guess its carpet-like. Definitely not a mat though but it kinda has that color. 😕

I stir the sand and it come back in 2-3 days. I also noticed algae on the glass has slowed down.

I think it's a low nutrient problem to be honest. I can't get my nitrates to hold above 0 ppm in both my tanks. I might add a fish to this tank to counter act this. I don't want to dose nitrates because I want to keep things simple. Maybe I'll start broadcasting reef roids every day?

Tired

You should put that blue hypnea up away from where your cleanup crew can easily get it. It's beautiful, but apparently also delicious before it gets established. Mine keep eating it. 

You could add a clown goby. They'll sit right in most types of anemones, so it wouldn't hurt one to sit smack in the middle of a rock flower. They're good eaters, too.

• Like 1

RedTheReefer
Just now, Tired said:

You should put that blue hypnea up away from where your cleanup crew can easily get it. It's beautiful, but apparently also delicious before it gets established. Mine keep eating it. 

You could add a clown goby. They'll sit right in most types of anemones, so it wouldn't hurt one to sit smack in the middle of a rock flower. They're good eaters, too.

I was thinking a Royal Gramma but do Clown Gobies really sit in anemones? Got any pictures?

I was staying away from getting any sort of fish that perches because of the rock flowers.

Tired

Just look up "clown goby anemone", there's a few dozen pictures of them lounging in things that should very much be stinging them. I've read one person saying they had a minimax nem eat a clown goby, but minimaxes are nasty stingers. RFAs don't come anywhere near them in terms of weaponry. 

Clown gobies have a thick, bad-tasting slime coat as protection against predators, that apparently makes pretty decent protection against anemones as well. 

• Like 2

Tamberav

Beautiful set up! Grats on the baby flowers 🙂