Innovative Marine Aquariums

RedTheReefer's Rock Flower Garden - 365 AIO Challenge

RedTheReefer

This guy is extra salty
On 7/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, RedTheReefer said:

20200729_182256.jpg

I see it do you remember if it was polycarbonate or acrylic?

• Like 2
RedTheReefer
36 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I see it do you remember if it was polycarbonate or acrylic?

Is there a way to tell the difference? I'm pretty sure I requested acrylic.

You might want to invest in a small webcam-style camera that you can access from an app on your phone, like those home security devices. If all those anemones spawn at once, all the organic matter in the water could be a major problem. If you had a camera on it, you could at least check on it frequently during spawning season. Running carbon is probably a good idea, too. 

Good to know about the different vendors, I love RFAs and will definitely be adding to my batch. 

Aqua Splendor
On 7/29/2020 at 7:34 PM, RedTheReefer said:

Bonus photo featuring a baby!

20200729_181457.jpg

I don't remember seeing this variation of color, really cool!

• Like 2
RedTheReefer
Just now, Aqua Splendor said:

I don't remember seeing this variation of color, really cool!

This is exactly why I got this anemone. Never saw anything like it so I had to have it!

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Small Update:

Nothing much has changed. No new additions but I do see some growth on my rock flowers. 🙂 I do have some macro algae on the way for the tank - some blue hypnea and red dragon's breath. I am super stoked to add these.

Unfortunately, I think I have encountered dinoflagelletes. I'll post some pictures tomorrow because I am a little uncertain if it is in fact dino because this look different from when I encountered them in my other tank. I don't see any web-like structures. Only hair like looking stuff on the sand and maybe some strings of bubbles.  It only forms in the higher flow areas on the sand. Maybe early signs of dinos or could it be diatoms? I am unsure to be honest. Pictures to come tomorrow.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

Small Update:

Nothing much has changed. No new additions but I do see some growth on my rock flowers. 🙂 I do have some macro algae on the way for the tank - some blue hypnea and red dragon's breath. I am super stoked to add these.

Unfortunately, I think I have encountered dinoflagelletes. I'll post some pictures tomorrow because I am a little uncertain if it is in fact dino because this look different from when I encountered them in my other tank. It could be diatoms. I am unsure to be honest.

If it's more like a slimy-carpet without bubbles, but it still has that color which you really only find in dino's it may be amphidinium or another large-cell dino.

• Like 1
Just now, Amphrites said:

If it's more like a slimy-carpet without bubbles, but it still has that color which you really only find in dino's it may be amphidinium or another large-cell dino.

There's some bubbles and I guess its carpet-like. Definitely not a mat though but it kinda has that color. 😕

I stir the sand and it come back in 2-3 days. I also noticed algae on the glass has slowed down.

I think it's a low nutrient problem to be honest. I can't get my nitrates to hold above 0 ppm in both my tanks. I might add a fish to this tank to counter act this. I don't want to dose nitrates because I want to keep things simple. Maybe I'll start broadcasting reef roids every day?

You should put that blue hypnea up away from where your cleanup crew can easily get it. It's beautiful, but apparently also delicious before it gets established. Mine keep eating it. 

You could add a clown goby. They'll sit right in most types of anemones, so it wouldn't hurt one to sit smack in the middle of a rock flower. They're good eaters, too.

• Like 1
Just now, Tired said:

You should put that blue hypnea up away from where your cleanup crew can easily get it. It's beautiful, but apparently also delicious before it gets established. Mine keep eating it. 

You could add a clown goby. They'll sit right in most types of anemones, so it wouldn't hurt one to sit smack in the middle of a rock flower. They're good eaters, too.

I was thinking a Royal Gramma but do Clown Gobies really sit in anemones? Got any pictures?

I was staying away from getting any sort of fish that perches because of the rock flowers.

Just look up "clown goby anemone", there's a few dozen pictures of them lounging in things that should very much be stinging them. I've read one person saying they had a minimax nem eat a clown goby, but minimaxes are nasty stingers. RFAs don't come anywhere near them in terms of weaponry. 

Clown gobies have a thick, bad-tasting slime coat as protection against predators, that apparently makes pretty decent protection against anemones as well. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
RedTheReefer

10/04/2020 Update & Photos

Red Dragon Breath and Blue Hypnea algae I got a month ago are not doing so well. They are slowly disappearing. Dinoflagellates are still prominent in the tank but thankfully it does not seem to be a toxic strain since my rock flowers all look healthy nor has it gotten worse. I also got a nice pink pinstripe flower for only $20.

I do not remember the last time I made a water change on this tank. 😅 Things are certainly in autopilot mode now. Everything is looking good for the most part (besides the dinos). I am still on the look for a clown goby. I went to the LFS over the weekend but they only had green ones - I really want a yellow one. I might try again this upcoming week.

I'm also considering adding more sand and maybe planting 2 mangroves. What do you think? I want to try them out because I plan on putting some in a future build where I consolidate all my tanks.

Now for some photos!

20200927_210615.jpg\

20200927_205405.jpg

20200927_205416.jpg

20200927_205358.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

10/18/2020

I finally got my hands on a clown goby last week. Unfortunately, today, I found that it jumped out of the tank. I don't know how long it was out of the tank but I rescued it and quickly put it back in. It was still alive but he did not look good at all.

He was looking way worse later tonight. I went to check the tank after I got out of my shower and he is no where to be found. I looked everywhere. 😢 Maybe a RFA got him but I am skeptical because I was only an hour away from the tank. Can they really eat a fish that quick? None of them were closed.

Unfortunate but I'll think I'll head over to the fish store tomorrow to try something else out.

• Sad 3

He might be crammed under the rockwork somewhere, alive or dead. Better get a good lid before adding anything else- all fish are jump risks, with a few exceptions (like seahorses) that physically can't jump out.

• Like 2
Aqua Splendor

I'm really jealous of your RFA, especially 2 of them.

I think I will introduce 5 in my aquarium, but I need to move fast, their are not looking great with my frag tank, I didn't took care of them correctly =/.

Your aquarium look great, do you have a pick with natural light? Curious to see.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:39 PM, Aqua Splendor said:

I'm really jealous of your RFA, especially 2 of them.

I think I will introduce 5 in my aquarium, but I need to move fast, their are not looking great with my frag tank, I didn't took care of them correctly =/.

Your aquarium look great, do you have a pick with natural light? Curious to see.

Which ones are your favorite?

I highly recommend them for any nano. They are such cool creatures and provide so much color. I don't think I'll ever have a tank without at least one of them.

I'll get you full tank pictures when my light is at its max intensity. That is when it is more natural with white light.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:20 PM, Tired said:

He might be crammed under the rockwork somewhere, alive or dead. Better get a good lid before adding anything else- all fish are jump risks, with a few exceptions (like seahorses) that physically can't jump out.

I am positive an RFA ate him now. Later on in the week, I found what look to be some RFA guts but all flowers were accounted for. It must of been the poor goby. 😥

I don't really want to get a lid because I do not like the aesthetic. Also, I actually added two mangroves and got myself a Royal Gramma. Pics coming soon. 🙂

• Like 1

Loving this thread. Currently setting up one of these myself. Seems like the perfect pico really.  Finding it hard not to order 2-3 more haha!

Any issues with too much flow upgrading the pump? I’m on the fence of trying the hygger pump vs an RFA and stronger return. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Aqua Splendor said:

The purple strip (white?)

Purple center

Oh, that one? It moved to a nicer location for photos. It colored up even more and its white stripes are even more prominent. Stay tuned!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

Loving this thread. Currently setting up one of these myself. Seems like the perfect pico really.  Finding it hard not to order 2-3 more haha!

Any issues with too much flow upgrading the pump? I’m on the fence of trying the hygger pump vs an RFA and stronger return. 

Thank you!

The pump I got is hands down too strong, so I have the nozzle pointed up to help with that. This is one of the major challenges I think with a pico tank. Flow is really hard to nail down when there is not a lot of room for a power head.

I've been looking for a 1/4'' loc-line wide flare nozzle to get maximum surface agitation with less flow below the surface but no luck. I can't even find someone that 3D prints them unfortunately. I am currently running a 1/4'' RFG nozzle.

• Like 2