Cultivated Reef

Gravity

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Ok so you had both tanks ?

Hell set them both up...................his and hers...................

Lol, the wife would probably let me do that. Just got no place to put them right now. 

8 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Lol, the wife would probably let me do that. Just got no place to put them right now. 

oh cmon they are a square foot each.....................am sure you could move a hair dryer in the bathroom and have room...............:wink:

• Like 1

We now have water! Had to clear off some space on the wife’s dresser but will eventually move to the living room. The Aqua Knight mount is a bit long for this tank so I will be building a mount at some point. 

41922612-0853-42A4-9BD1-2D6FAAC43367.thumb.jpeg.418d4477adbdb374bf25d7accd98a5d9.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow, you all definable weren’t kidding about the stability issue. The tanks has been requiring about a liter of top off per day, that’s about 1/10 of the tank water volume. I’m planning on cutting some sheet acrylic to cover the display area to reduce evaporation. 

• Like 1
RedTheReefer
On 3/2/2020 at 12:06 AM, Gravity said:

Here is the tank after the sand dust cleared. Just ended up using half of the live rock I picked up. 

1DB04396-126E-44EA-836E-6D59967BE7D5.thumb.jpeg.8396dd02cc56579eb411c36a24668ad7.jpeg

How does your plug fit on the bottom there on your back wall? I have the 3.8G Peninsula version and was wondering if mine is fitting correctly. I had to push super hard and even twist a little bit (removing some of the plastic on the extrusions/teeth on the plug to get it to stay. It isn't a perfect seal either. Was this the same for you? 

I really like the rock work too. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

How does your plug fit on the bottom there on your back wall? I have the 3.8G Peninsula version and was wondering if mine is fitting correctly. I had to push super hard and even twist a little bit (removing some of the plastic on the extrusions/teeth on the plug to get it to stay. It isn't a perfect seal either. Was this the same for you? 

Yeah, pretty much the same. The plug was really tight and I was u able to twist it. It’s slightly annoying that it’s not perfectly horizontal 😆.  Mine also isn’t a perfect seal but I didn’t have to remove any plastic. 

28 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I can dig it. Tank looks awesome so far. 

6 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

Glad you like the rock work. Especially, since I didn’t have to do anything but put one piece of rock in the tank. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
RedTheReefer
3 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Yeah, pretty much the same. The plug was really tight and I was u able to twist it. It’s slightly annoying that it’s not perfectly horizontal 😆.  Mine also isn’t a perfect seal but I didn’t have to remove any plastic. 

I might have been pushing it too hard. This plug is my only gripe about the tank but still a nice tank.

1 minute ago, Gravity said:

Glad you like the rock work. Especially, since I didn’t have to do anything but put one piece of rock in the tank. 

Sometimes a simple approach can look the best. I will be doing something similar for my contest tank. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

I might have been pushing it too hard. This plug is my only gripe about the tank but still a nice tank.

Yeah, overall I enjoy the look of the tank. The filtration area could have been designed better. Particularly, the hole in chamber one and a higher wall between chamber two and three. Still trying to decide what to do for filtration and if I should add any flow nozzle to the return. Some people have complained about the stock pump being loud but mine hasn’t been very noticeable.  

RedTheReefer
8 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Yeah, overall I enjoy the look of the tank. The filtration area could have been designed better. Particularly, the hole in chamber one and a higher wall between chamber two and three. Still trying to decide what to do for filtration and if I should add any flow nozzle to the return. Some people have complained about the stock pump being loud but mine hasn’t been very noticeable.  

At least you have three chambers! The 3.8G Peninsula only has two. 😭 Heater under the overflow and the return pump in the second. Filtration options are even tougher on this one because of this. I also can't have a heater over 5 inches because the height of the tank. Choosing a heater ended up being a very difficult choice for me.

Did you see @SeaFurn's contest tank? He is using a Waterbox 7 inTank Filter Floss holder. I'd go for it too but its too deep and I wouldn't be able to fit that with my heater. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, RedTheReefer said:

At least you have three chambers! The 3.8G Peninsula only has two. 😭 Heater under the overflow and the return pump in the second. Filtration options are even tougher on this one because of this. I also can't have a heater over 5 inches because the height of the tank. Choosing a heater ended up being a very difficult choice for me.

Did you see @SeaFurn's contest tank? He is using a Waterbox 7 inTank Filter Floss holder. I'd go for it too but its too deep and I wouldn't be able to fit that with my heater. 

That does sound tough. I have been using the neotherm heater which sticks out slightly but seems to work fine. 

Yeah, I saw that and may end up purchasing it. 

Got my sheet acrylic today and cut a cover for the display. Hopefully this helps reduce evaporation. 

5B59280C-C27D-4B69-92A0-8B64E3CD10C5.thumb.jpeg.1792adcee470d6ba7fbb3af6dd7164cf.jpeg

Also picked up a little smart plug to control the light. The Aqua Knight light has now been set to 20% White and 20% blue (8/10 clicks down) for an 8 hr period. 

3158DBF8-E38E-486F-ACD1-4556044487EC.thumb.jpeg.67d65718a09fef477fe7b0fb5547ff93.jpeg

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
On 3/4/2020 at 6:42 PM, Gravity said:

Got my sheet acrylic today and cut a cover for the display. Hopefully this helps reduce evaporation. 

5B59280C-C27D-4B69-92A0-8B64E3CD10C5.thumb.jpeg.1792adcee470d6ba7fbb3af6dd7164cf.jpeg

Also picked up a little smart plug to control the light. The Aqua Knight light has now been set to 20% White and 20% blue (8/10 clicks down) for an 8 hr period. 

3158DBF8-E38E-486F-ACD1-4556044487EC.thumb.jpeg.67d65718a09fef477fe7b0fb5547ff93.jpeg

That .220 will warp/bow varying the proximity of the light. Other than that nice build! And I’m here on lurking privileges 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, bruinhd said:

If you want a simple ATO solution with no wires or plug-ins, check out my simple gravity based ATO on my build: Link

Thanks, I will eventually be doing something like that. 

13 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That .220 will warp/bow varying the proximity of the light. Other than that nice build! And I’m here on lurking privileges 

Yeah, I have noticed this. Would I have been better off with 1/4” sheet?

I’m also planning on a light mount that would at least hold the back of the lid down. 

This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Yeah, I have noticed this. Would I have been better off with 1/4” sheet?

I’m also planning on a light mount that would at least hold the back of the lid down. 

Unfortunately 1/4“ is .220. The mount could/may reduce bowing but the 3/8” would be a better fix to stay the bowing/flexing. Have you thought about using lexan/polycarbonate?

3 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Unfortunately 1/4“ is .220. The mount could/may reduce bowing but the 3/8” would be a better fix to stay the bowing/flexing. Have you thought about using lexan/polycarbonate?

I wouldn’t be opposed to trying something else. Just chose acrylic based on low cost and ease of cutting. Would polycarbonate be less likely to bow with smaller sheets?

The first corals have arrived! Picked them up from the cherry coral live sale last weekend. I got three Ricordea a green and purple yuma (top right), a teal florida (bottom) and a purple/blue florida. 

F700C280-403C-43EA-B9E8-D280E31200D7.thumb.jpeg.fbfec28bf0dcad8b2480f0ae9d4b29f0.jpeg

Lighting has been reduced to 10% White and 10% Blue. 

• Like 1