Top Shelf Aquatics

༺ ᴀq͎ᴜᴀ ꜱᴘʟᴇɴᴅᴏʀ - ɴᴀɴᴏ ʀᴇᴇꜰ ༻

Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

Episode #4

Alright i'm going to summarize all the bad luck I had so far because i'm officially running for the " Bonus Awards from CM"

• Bad Luck - Award for the competitor that just can't seem to catch a break. 

- Broke the aquarium

- Went to my LFS to buy another one but he forget he's key to go down stairs

- Broke a part of acrylic sheet during DIY

- My black sand have a huge white mix (not sure if it was normal or not)
- Was about to buy a IKEA support for the the aquarium not too expensive, but my 2nd boss said meh so spent the double

- Covid-19 went on, when I was about to start the aquarium

- No access to my aquarium for multiple months

- My job contact me for work, but i'm not working in the same building where is my aquarium argnkdjfkd@##

- That furniture I bought for 500$, well now it's useless since I bring the aquarium at home

-  Notice a Squirrel eat my bike Saddle just before going search my aquarium at work (like wtf lol)
- Bought a RODI for nothing since my aquarium is at home

- Since I don't have place at home, I change the aquarium place 4 different time until I give up lol

- Wanted to change the aquarium for a bigger size but I couldn't contact Christopher the admin, so I decide to buy the same previous one to not bend the rules

- I wanted to create something black with the rock but my LFS sold the last piece of Black volcano just before I arrive

Yeah I will continue to fill up this list during the challenge I guess LOL

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Aqua Splendor

Massive news

Because you know, gotta run for that "Bad Luck" award

#1 The mix of Black Hawaiian bag that I use was apparently mislabel, and it's their Indo Pacific Sand that they discontinued, I will contact them for replacement but...

#2 I receive this morning my ICP for that mix of black sand that I use, Black Hawaiian and Eco-Complete

753229303_NicolasMarion443.thumb.jpg.aa7f9615be60068a45a2f109b8d138f4.jpg

That is alarming to me, please disregards Major elements since I use salinity at 20ppt.
I was expecting some of those elements to be higher but, man, I'm seriously considering to remove the sand and replace it with usually white one that I use.

- Silicon, yeah ok, good for algae and Sponge I think? but man that concentration!
- Nickel Errr say good bye to SPS?

- Manganese, yes please but that much arrggg, that will probably bleach coral at that concentration!

- Iron Yeah no sh!t, did see that one coming, it's high! but maybe fine at that concentration? (Hi Chaetomorpha)

- Barium I don't know about this one, it doesn't bother that much I guess?

- Aluminium higher then it should be, but is it  dangerous at that level? maybe not?

So yeah, I don't know what to think about all this, if it was a Macro Algae tank it would fine I guess for corals, sps/lps, meh, might not like it.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I would replace it as well, what did you do to prepare the sand before adding it to the tank? I have heard people running a magnet through this stuff to remove anything magnetic before the rinsing 

• Like 2
Aqua Splendor

2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I would replace it as well, what did you do to prepare the sand before adding it to the tank? I have heard people running a magnet through this stuff to remove anything magnetic before the rinsing 

I rinse it, separated the grain size, no magnet filtering, salt use is tropic marin reef pro, my RODI look fine (since I do ICP test on other tank), Seachem Matrix bio media.
It's ... really the sand results of mix between "Indo Pacific" and Eco-Complete
My video about this:

• Thanks 1
Aqua Splendor

Hey guys Episode 5!!!

If you watch my last video (seriously it's not a clickbait), you probably know I broke my aquarium, so here I show how I built my aquarium, this time at home and the video is more complete then the Episode 3. 
Hope you enjoy watching, next step, aquascape and cycling?

• Like 3
Aqua Splendor

Ep.6 This time I add the light, show the cycling process and the aquascape

I've been waiting so long to make an episode like this, It should have been done in Febuary or march, but with the Covid 19, lot of my plans change. I'm very please to finally been able to reach that point, from now on it will be much easier... I think... I mean... watchout for Episode 7 .. woops 😛

• Like 3
Aqua Splendor

Ep.7 This is a crucial episode, "Better safe than sorry"

I didn't mention in the video but the tank is cycle now, I'm waiting for some ... life... small life...

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Aqua Splendor said:

I didn't mention in the video but the tank is cycle now, I'm waiting for some ... life... small life...

Good call on removing the black sand. I tried it in my previous tank but ended up removing it and using white sand instead. It made the tank look too dark and you could see the detritus. Tank is looking good!!

• Like 1
mitten_reef
On 7/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Aqua Splendor said:

great video, love how you troubleshoot the issues.  that tank's dimension is amazing.

• Like 2
Aqua Splendor
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

great video, love how you troubleshoot the issues.  that tank's dimension is amazing.

Thank you 🙂

I do it also to give ideas to other people in case they run similar situation.
Now the question is, how many episode I can make without any corals and fish, place your bets 😛

Also here a screen shot for my July Front photo for the contest

vlcsnap-2020-07-14-13h05m24s890.thumb.png.b2a6462454f3a4d373bec8a3c6175721.png

I'm not sure what is the "Front" of my aquarium and also not sure if my video fit into the categories of photos
Anyways, for time being lets enjoy watching those rock growing slowly... 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Aqua Splendor

Between all my current videos on my channel, this one is my favorite.
I present you Episode #8 : One drop of life 🙂

I finally introduce the first visible life form in my aquarium: Zooplankton

Because I'm saving money for 2 specific things (one just for the aquarium community) I don't have money to buy a microscope yet.
However, I did my best with my camera to bring good footage and I was shocked how far I went with just my equipment!

I hope this video will inspire other people and realize how beautiful small creatures and important, they are.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Aqua Splendor
On 7/29/2020 at 11:24 PM, Tamberav said:

Love the videos... the last one was awesome 🙂 I wish I knew how to do such things. What do you film it all with? 

Are you sure you watch that last one?

Cuz I mention it in the video 😂😋

A7III - 90mm macro

You can even "better" with a smartphone and macro on it (closer)

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Aqua Splendor said:

Are you sure you watch that last one?

Cuz I mention it in the video 😂😋

A7III - 90mm macro

You can even "better" with a smartphone and macro on it (closer)

haha I did!! but I was multitasking 😛

• Like 2
Aqua Splendor

What is this?

Did I put a fish in my tank??!
Omg, this is getting out of control!
And here I though I was going to grow rocks =/

Episode 9

Please, leave me a comment in the YouTube comments section for the name, I'm very curious to know your ideas 😄, I will pick one from that list 🙂

First time I have clips of video from the day before, this is has present in time I can do! (usually there's a minimum of 1 weeks)

I guess I will put some photos also to get more karma, because lets be honest, this fish is a Karma whore. brb will grab my cat somewhere for photo-shoot... actually no... not a good idea (if you watch the video you know why lol)

• Like 2
Aqua Splendor
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I do not subscribe to U tube. My suggestion is "Sunshine"

You don't have any google account!?
That is pretty rare! 
I like that Sunshine 🙂 , yeah like that 🙂

Aqua Splendor

DSC01468.jpg.c26ba2ab047c05d2e555ea29be23ad4d.jpgDSC01467.jpg.979151bb30dde278d1c75171f291c092.jpgDSC01459.jpg.6b85bf9be2336fa80db5778f08fd1ccb.jpgDSC01453.jpg.c5c2c82d3f731bfc6cb70e7fd07ce5c1.jpgDSC01452.jpg.8b7784f6b7069581a731e31fa33ba3e8.jpgDSC01450.jpg.86965f000a4cdcf898a7b5bf28febd7e.jpgDSC01448.jpg.13f76cec67465359d34c70c812951f3d.jpgDSC01469.jpg.9750a34d87dede8f595d59e053e0bef0.jpg

I post pictures for the lazy scroller that don't watch video (even if the video contain more of that stuff), I know that laziness 😛
If I don't post many pictures it's because it's really hard to make all those little things here and there, with social media and stuff, so i'm trying to focus my energy. 
I made a little script/batch in Photoshop to help me to accelerate the process for the forums: Insert water mark, move it, image resize, save&close. No color modification, straight from the camera.
Funny how much easier it is on phone.

• Like 1
Aqua Splendor

Yup, I had him for more than a month, in quarantine in my frag tank.
Plus he's eating the copepods I put from the last video

I'm trying to record him eating my frozen food on camera but... it's... hard lol