Cultivated Reef

5G Home Reef

Ratvan

SaltyGallon
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

No worries, said it so many places lol. 

Guess I'll just have to mix a batch and try it, unless anyone works at Halford and can get me distilled with a discount 🤔

Hmm that's not a bad idea either. Just had a quick google and Euro Car Parts could be one to try -

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/tetrosyl-de-ionised-water-25ltr-de-ionised-water-25ltr-553772350

• Thanks 1
Punk_Rock_Blenny
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Well I am down to my last 10 gallons of RO water (thanks @Punk_Rock_Blenny, hope you get better soon) after that I am going to have to make the switch to tap water, Spotless water has stopped trading apart from drinking water sources (no use for reef tank) LFS is closed. I have asked around a few local reefers but only @Punk_Rock_Blennywas kind enough to let me fill up a couple of storage containers 

Also my preferred brand of salt is now ridiculously expensive so have had to switch to another cheaper more readily available brand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tetra-Marine-Create-Perfect-Water/dp/B001J55H26/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=tetra+sea+salt&qid=1585659268&sr=8-1

Decent enough salt, thinking about it ill swap you rodi use for walking Shep? I'm in the ICU at LGI for at least another week so hell be cooped up all day, can get out the back (as you know) but he needs a long arse walk 2-3 times a day. Fair? 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Punk_Rock_Blenny said:

Decent enough salt, thinking about it ill swap you rodi use for walking Shep? I'm in the ICU at LGI for at least another week so hell be cooped up all day, can get out the back (as you know) but he needs a long arse walk 2-3 times a day. Fair? 

OMG yes!!! 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, karisma said:

Very nice choices. Bet they weren't cheap!

25% off for Covid 19. Wasn't actually too bad put them at £30ish quid each. Free shipping as well. 

Been scaping a new tank set up, going to use the cube for tap water reef experiment

IMG_20200403_211022.thumb.jpg.e6f12435f48125cf20c414d9d663c718.jpg

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

25% off for Covid 19. Wasn't actually too bad put them at £30ish quid each. Free shipping as well. 

Been scaping a new tank set up, going to use the cube for tap water reef experiment

IMG_20200403_211022.thumb.jpg.e6f12435f48125cf20c414d9d663c718.jpg

Floating rock wall?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, karisma said:

Floating rock wall?

Yup, feeding the rabbit and cats at the minute but need to add another outcrop and clean up the silicone work before corals get here next week. 

Sand should arrive today, actually ordered proper reef sand this time around

Cat at the bottom (near where coral rubble is - that was used to disguise the silicone) and the Ancora get the top of the shelf

8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yup, feeding the rabbit and cats at the minute but need to add another outcrop and clean up the silicone work before corals get here next week. 

Sand should arrive today, actually ordered proper reef sand this time around

Cat at the bottom (near where coral rubble is - that was used to disguise the silicone) and the Ancora get the top of the shelf

Very nice! What kind of lighting are you planning to use?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Either the Asta 20 LED, Kessil A80, 168w Chinese Black Box or 21W Par38

Quite the choices you have then. Gotta love the cheap asta 20! Dont think the black box will be necessary. Bit much imo.

Kessil are nice too. As you know i been looking to upgrade my lighting as well. Prime 16hd. I want but cant really afford! So im going to stick with the asta 20 for now.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, karisma said:

Quite the choices you have then. Gotta love the cheap asta 20! Dont think the black box will be necessary. Bit much imo.

Kessil are nice too. As you know i been looking to upgrade my lighting as well. Prime 16hd. I want but cant really afford! So im going to stick with the asta 20 for now.

The Black Box has worked well in the past at this tank size and livestock choice

20190903_081505.thumb.jpg.18253a2700476e3719e20f0c0b502a78.jpg.6395ea9ef33e3eb56616afc5527c0a3b.jpg

But with the PAR38 or Black Box I do want to make a canopy

9 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

The Black Box has worked well in the past at this tank size and livestock choice

20190903_081505.thumb.jpg.18253a2700476e3719e20f0c0b502a78.jpg.6395ea9ef33e3eb56616afc5527c0a3b.jpg

But with the PAR38 or Black Box I do want to make a canopy

Well if the black box has worked well for you then have at her. Id say go with that before a par 38. Ive never liked par 38 lights. Just my opinion really....but you would be covering it with a canopy

As you say anyway. 

Elongated the floating shelf with another rock, I am attaching these with silicone. The join is then hidden (and strengthened) by pushing crushed coral into the lower most joints before covering with superglue and finally sand. 

Shot from bottom up, to show join work

IMG_20200404_142739.thumb.jpg.037d26a252d89f038263b04dcdb75783.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, karisma said:

Are you using a jebao wavemaker? 

Not in this one, that's at work still in the Cichlid tank.

Going with the Hydor Pico Evo Mag and trying a RFG nozzle, no HOB, no external just Powerhead and rock for filtration

Screenshot_20200404_143550_com.android.email.thumb.jpg.3f7da4ea157c4c87a172ef5b637b9ef8.jpg

Cool. I noticed the jebao in one of your pictures. I just got one myself. Little noisy but nothing major. Its on the lowest setting which is i think 142GPH but its still very strong. I miss my hydor pico 180. Thats a good choice to go with that nozzle and live rock for filtration :)