Cultivated Reef

New Reefer Fluval Evo 13.5

Kastle

Hi yall, 

This is my first post after lurking on this website for awhile. 

Im happy to say, I finally set up my tank now.

I’m doing fishless tank cycle with MicroBacter Brightwell Aqautic XLM, and Quickcycle ammonia. Its been 2 days and my readings are between 4-8 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm for both Nitrite and Nirate. 

1. Is it safe to say high ammonia Is okay for now ? 
2. I have a vacation coming up in April, so thinking of adding fish after my vacay. So is it okay to just have water sitting ? 
3. Would i be able to add cuc only and not really feed them...? (Survival wirh just algae?) 

148018A0-DDAA-4B88-B700-FC85EB4C0311.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kastle said:

Hi yall, 

This is my first post after lurking on this website for awhile. 

Im happy to say, I finally set up my tank now.

I’m doing fishless tank cycle with MicroBacter Brightwell Aqautic XLM, and Quickcycle ammonia. Its been 2 days and my readings are between 4-8 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm for both Nitrite and Nirate. 

1. Is it safe to say high ammonia Is okay for now ? 
2. I have a vacation coming up in April, so thinking of adding fish after my vacay. So is it okay to just have water sitting ? 
3. Would i be able to add cuc only and not really feed them...? (Survival wirh just algae?) 

148018A0-DDAA-4B88-B700-FC85EB4C0311.jpeg

Hey, welcome! You picked a great tank - the Evo13 was my second one and I really liked it. Dependent on your stocking goals, some things may need to be upgraded but all the basic equipment will work just fine for now!

Questions answered:

1 - no problem with high ammonia as you have no livestock, it will be converted to nitrite and nitrate once your biological filter has/is being developed.

2 - yes, no worries letting it sit/run, just keep the flow going - even if you were home, the water would still just sit until the cycle is complete.

Would suggest turning off light, not necessary for the cycle.

3 - CUC should be your first addition IMO - however no need to overdo, cause you don’t want to starve dem. Once your cycle is complete, add a few snails and accommodate any additions based on algae (not all algae is easily visible but the last thing you want is to overdo CUC from the beginning when there simply isn’t a need)

Daniel

I agree with Daniel, The water should be fine sitting, as long as there is flow to keep it moving. 

When i started my first tank, my first additions were just astrea snails and 2 Chromis. I to did a fishless cycle and wanted to make sure everything was ok before I started adding the more expensive fish and coral. 

Just make sure there is enough algae for the cuc you decide on. I know Daniel mentioned turning off your lights, but if you plan on having a decent cuc while your gone, you might want to leave them on so that they continuously have algae to eat on. 

Just my opinion.