ReefCleaners.org

Hammer Coral Help!?

Dierker0000

Hi, so recently I added a new toxic green hammer coral to my tank. It seems to be doing well and is opened up but it seems to be like stretched out almost. I was wondering if this is weird or normal or what it may be a sign of if something is not right. 
Btw I just have a normal aquarium light with blue leds nothing fancy. It has seemed to do the job growing a whisker coral, acan and some zoas in the past.?

image.jpg

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is the light just a standard LED for freshwater tanks? 

If so, then its most likely why your hammers are stretching for light.

Yes it is. This is what I was thinking but some people In other forums are saying to much light?

37 minutes ago, Dierker0000 said:

Yes it is. This is what I was thinking but some people In other forums are saying to much light?

Definitely not too much light. If it were too much light it wouldn’t be so puffed up, and it would bleach (start turning a white color).  

1 hour ago, Dierker0000 said:

Corals don't stretch due to too much light. They stretch when there isn't enough light.

Too much light causes lack of expansion, bleaching, and burning.

A standard led for freshwater is often not enough light for corals and not the right spectrum.

19 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Corals don't stretch due to too much light. They stretch when there isn't enough light.

Too much light causes lack of expansion, bleaching, and burning.

A standard led for freshwater is often not enough light for corals and not the right spectrum.

That’s what I was thinking, it looks as it is stretching to get more light and reaching up close for more. What reef light would you recommend for this tank (5.5g) that isn’t too pricey.?  

1 hour ago, Dierker0000 said:

Ya either Ai or kessil would be great. An ai would also work on a larger tank if you were to upgrade, the a80 up to 10g before you'd need to add a second one.

39 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya either Ai or kessil would be great. An ai would also work on a larger tank if you were to upgrade, the a80 up to 10g before you'd need to add a second one.

Yea I’m planning on upgrading if things go good.