SaltCritters.com

DIY chiller Nova Tec ice probe

nanoreeFan

On a 2 Gallon quarantine tank I have this walmart  2 Quart canister photo attached. I Drilled a hole in the top of it for the Nova tec Ice Probe with a harbor freight step bit, photo. BRS has the Ice Probes for $119. I Then stuffed the 2 Quart canister with airline tubing and Ro/Di water. With An aqualifter pump (Chewy has them for $15 bucks) My tank Water Runs in a loop from the tank, through the canister and coiled up  air line tubing and back into the tank. Just like radiant floor heating. The walmart canister is just a Heat/Cold exchanger no water is exchanged inside of it. The bayite Temperature Controller BTC201 turns the Ice probe and Aqualifter on and off at the same time with a 2 or 3 way plug adapter (photo attached). The heater goes in the other bayite outlet. Cover the  bayite Temperature Controller metal probe with a hot glue gun so it wont rust. Over a year now and no problems with this inexpensive setup. 

For a bigger tank, the bent up acrylic holder, photo, that Victor A. made would be easier to use. I could not since it would block the light on my coral. If you need more heater amps, the bayite Temperature Controller 1650W BTC211 gives you 15 Amps. You can replace the circuit breaker in it with this amazon one if you ever needed, search "Thermal Circuit Breaker, DIYhz 15 Amp 32V DC 125/250VAC 50/60Hz Push Button Manual Reset Circuit Breaker with Quick Connect Terminals and Waterproof Button Transparent Cap"

ream bit.jpg

three way.jpg

2qt canister.jpeg

iceprobe.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
nanoreeFan

You could lift the lid up with cut tubing like in this photo attached. You just need the height for one airline tubing intake and one for exit. The bent acrylic holder (last photo) was just a photo i was sharing from another reefer using the ice probe in a different way that was clever. I'm not using that setup . 

link https://reefs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/33979673742_993f360b1d_o.jpg

• Like 1
banasophia
1 hour ago, nanoreeFan said:

You could lift the lid up with cut tubing like in this photo attached. You just need the height for one airline tubing intake and one for exit. The bent acrylic holder (last photo) was just a photo i was sharing from another reefer using the ice probe in a different way that was clever. I'm not using that setup . 

link https://reefs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/33979673742_993f360b1d_o.jpg

Ah, gotcha... Do you happen to have a pic of yours all set up? 

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
nanoreeFan

It's Doing fine Megg and Tang. The airline tubing will grow algae inside the tubing after about a year but I buy the airline tubing at walmart so its a cheap fix. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 3:12 PM, nanoreeFan said:

It's Doing fine Megg and Tang. The airline tubing will grow algae inside the tubing after about a year but I buy the airline tubing at walmart so its a cheap fix. 

I love this community and how we can share innovation and DIY knowledge. Thank you. 

• 2 months later...
Cheese-Lover
On 2/9/2024 at 8:12 AM, nanoreeFan said:

Black airline tube or insulate the jar and block light... can't grow algae if there is no light. ❤️ make life easy on yourself.