Top Shelf Aquatics

Do i do water change on new tank?

Michael46

Hi guys im new memeber and new to nano tanks, but i have kept marine years ago and fancy a small nano, my question is when setup and all working and going through the cycle, do i need to do water changes and also clean media etc or leave it?? Cheers 

I think you should still do water changes and clean media as it cycles since the levels will be increasing.  Have you checked out some of the BRS videos about new tank cycling?  They have really in depth ones or even 5 min ones and I find it pretty informative about how to avoid the "ugly" cycle 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide-ep15-cycling-part-1/

I never do water changes on cycling tanks. Always leave them alone and let them do their thing with the lights off. Then once it is cycled I do a large water change to lower nitrates. But there are several ways to do things! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I never do water changes on cycling tanks. Always leave them alone and let them do their thing with the lights off. Then once it is cycled I do a large water change to lower nitrates. But there are several ways to do things! 

Same here . I let the cycle do its thing and then large change at the end . 

• Thanks 1

Waterchanges should be started when the cycle is done.

The first waterchange is usually pretty large to reduce the high nitrates, if the nitrates are high.

Waterchanges during cycling is done when you are using a fish to cycle the tank(not recommended)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do water changes during the cycle if I am using live rock to preserve life. I do it when ammonia > 1.0. 

When I say live, I mean LIVE, like with worms, dusters, hitchhikers etc. 

If it is dry rock or painted rock, I wouldn't bother doing any water changes. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 6:08 AM, Michael46 said:

Hi guys im new memeber and new to nano tanks, but i have kept marine years ago and fancy a small nano, my question is when setup and all working and going through the cycle, do i need to do water changes and also clean media etc or leave it?? Cheers 

Do you still have any books from back then?  They offered the best info on topics like this....I'd recommend getting one (or some) if you don't have any.

Martin A. Moe, Jr.'s classic Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder makes a great starter!  It's very complete and will get you off on the right foot on nearly every topic.

His other book (well, he has several others...one of them is) called "Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates" is also great to have....very complimentary with the first book.

Get them used if price is an issue!!

IMO do water changes "when needed"...

Alkalinity

Most importantly this means when stony corals grow and naturally deplete alkalinity, calcium and magnesium in growing skeleton. 

In particular alkalinity, of which there is very little to begin with....so it depletes the fastest, by far.  Once depleted, pH is able to vary much more and in a lower range from day to night...this can be stressful to the tank.

In a VERY small tank with just a few stony corals, water changes might be all you ever do.  Using an enhanced salt like Reef Crystals will generally give you levels good enough to get you through to the next water change. 

If you're doing as much water changing as you can/as you want to but still can't keep the numbers in-line, that's when you need to start hand dosing something like ESV B-IONIC in addition to water changes. 

Water changes then become somewhat optional, but are still highly recommended...10% weekly or so.

Nutrients

It's traditional to do water changes in response to climbing nutrient levels...predominantly due to worries over algae.   

But IMO this isn't as solid of a reason for a water change as the alkalinity correction. 

It's still a pretty popular misconception that nutrient levels determine algae growth....therefore low nutrient levels determine low levels of algae.  The reality is that algae blooms are all we're worried about...not algae growth in general. 

Algae blooms happen due to nutrient spikes.  No spike...no bloom. 

So moderate the rate at which you add animals (and thus food) so that there is no spike. 

No worries about blooms...and there goes your traditional reason for using water changes vs nutrients.  It's just kinda unnecessary in most circumstances, and certainly avoidable.

Hopefully that makes sense.  👍

Check out this thread for more book ideas....lots of great reading options:

Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list!

Candymancan

Super high ammonia 4ppm or higher ive found stalls and slows down the cycle.  If ammonia gets that high generally ill do a 50% water change to lower it.  Ive found when i do this my cycle is sped up rapidly and i see nitrates quicker

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

My tank is all cycled now took about 14 days and using dr tims one and only my ammonia went up to 2ppm then dropped has my nitrites went up,and both back to 0 i let this happen three times dosing with ammonia has instructed by one and only now all on zero and nitrates 20ppm so looking good 

• 2 weeks later...