Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

42 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I didn't test initially, but it must have been pretty significant just based on the smell and die off that I saw.

I guess I’m going to have to be pretty aggressive with it when it comes in. The tank itself is precycled and can absorb 2ppm ammonia in about 12

hours. But I think I may need to soak them in  prime treated water before putting them in the tank 

1 minute ago, William said:

I guess I’m going to have to be pretty aggressive with it when it comes in. The tank itself is precycled and can absorb 2ppm ammonia in about 12

hours. But I think I may need to soak them in  prime treated water before putting them in the tank 

Can you put them in a big Brute container temporarily so you can test params before placing them into the main tank? 

14 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Can you put them in a big Brute container temporarily so you can test params before placing them into the main tank? 

Yes, I’m setting up two 5 gallon plastic tubs. The first will be saltwater with prime added.

i plan to clean the rocks off, remove as much dead/dying material as possible and then move them to the next 5 gallon tub with fresh saltwater, and maybe one of the marine pure plates from my main system, (as well as power head and heater). 

• Like 1

Update: almost all the nuisance algae, including cyano and bryopsis, gone! This CUC is incredible!  The caulerpa competing for nutrients also probably helped. Just took a couple days. 😮

FF1B91F0-A809-462D-9D60-5DC05D18F9BD.thumb.jpeg.eca82a3f7e28b75b8b9d82fbe633fcf4.jpeg

Seeing some really beautiful red and purple coralline spreading as well.  🥰

• Like 9
SaltyGallon
3 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Update: almost all the nuisance algae, including cyano and bryopsis, gone! This CUC is incredible!  The caulerpa competing for nutrients also probably helped. Just took a couple days. 😮

FF1B91F0-A809-462D-9D60-5DC05D18F9BD.thumb.jpeg.eca82a3f7e28b75b8b9d82fbe633fcf4.jpeg

Seeing some really beautiful red and purple coralline spreading as well.  🥰

That's amazing! Bunch of beasts!

• Like 1

Just found this....really cool.  May I ask what you are doing for filtration in the back?  Did you keep that big sponge in the overflow chamber.

Awesome vids....love those.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Love how the time-lapse makes it look like the dwarf cerith is hopping.

Me too!  The original vid had the cerith going all the way across the screen, but that version of the vid was a little long.

2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I like this,I'm not much of just a "planted" tank kinda guy,but I can follow along with this. 

Thanks for the follow!  I hear ya, I like coral too.  We shall see how this turns out. 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Cool. How long was the actual video

Maybe 3 minutes?  Totally guessing.

33 minutes ago, dnadrifter said:

Just found this....really cool.  May I ask what you are doing for filtration in the back?  Did you keep that big sponge in the overflow chamber.

Awesome vids....love those.

I sliced off maybe 1/5th of the huge sponge and put that in the back.  But nothing else right now.  Still TBD what to add back there.  Probably will take out that sponge and add some filter floss at some point.   

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I sliced off maybe 1/5th of the huge sponge and put that in the back.  But nothing else right now.  Still TBD what to add back there.  Probably will take out that sponge and add some filter floss at some point.   

Thanks, I'll be curious what you end up with.   Gonna try to use part of the sponge, floss, and chemipure with some DYI solution rather than just tossing stuff in there loose.  Still have those ceramic donuts in the middle chamber.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, dnadrifter said:

Thanks, I'll be curious what you end up with.   Gonna try to use part of the sponge, floss, and chemipure with some DYI solution rather than just tossing stuff in there loose.  Still have those ceramic donuts in the middle chamber.

I have Chemipure, Sera Siporax bio media, and tons of InTank floss lying around, but I agree with you on trying to come up with some type of media basket for the chambers.  The MarinPure bio cubes also look like they would fit perfectly back there since they are 2" cubes.

I was going to take a deep dive into @inTank's website to see if any currently available media baskets would fit in this tank, but haven't had a chance yet. 

4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

The MarinPure bio cubes also look like they would fit perfectly back there since they are 2" cubes.

I was going to take a deep dive into @inTank's website to see if any currently available media baskets would fit in this tank, but haven't had a chance yet. 

I'll take a look at the those cubes...could be a great choice.  Thx.  I did that exact thing on inTanks website last night.   My overflow chamber is almost exactly 2 1/4 x 2 3/4....pretty shallow depth.   The waterboxes and IM nuvos were the closest I recall, but didn't find anything that would really "fit" well.

• Like 1

Not much new going on in here.  Placed an order for some pods, but then looked in my tank after I placed the order and noticed a ton of pods.  Guess you can never have too many pods. 
D78F86AE-5A63-4268-95E6-A6401F8876FC.thumb.jpeg.7e8ef0bf7ea05f06a6cfd867d89ac0a6.jpeg

Still can’t make up my mind on what fish or inverts to put in here, so next add will probably be more macroalgae. Want to add a splash of red, so maybe Gracilaria hayi/Pom Pom. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Not much new going on in here.  Placed an order for some pods, but then looked in my tank after I placed the order and noticed a ton of pods.  Guess you can never have too many pods. 
D78F86AE-5A63-4268-95E6-A6401F8876FC.thumb.jpeg.7e8ef0bf7ea05f06a6cfd867d89ac0a6.jpeg

Still can’t make up my mind on what fish or inverts to put in here, so next add will probably be more macroalgae. Want to add a splash of red, so maybe Gracilaria hayi/Pom Pom. 

Check out live-plants.com they have macros and photosynthetic gorgonia. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, William said:

Check out live-plants.com they have macros and photosynthetic gorgonia. 

I'm definitely interested in placing an order with them, but looks like most stuff is out of stock (maybe due to Covid-19?).