Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

16 minutes ago, ef4life said:

With your photo skills you can even make cyano look good 😂

Totally 

1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Picked up one of these too. 
7853EE36-6C46-4295-B882-31116FDB9811.thumb.jpeg.3d378e6e2d739b4ff0663944c98ec6ea.jpeg

Nice... looking forward to hearing more about it. I just use a Shrimpery to hatch my bbs. Have heard of these but don’t know much about them. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, William said:

I wouldn’t worry about it 

though your lighting spectrum may be playing a part 

Agreed.  My lighting (as nice as it is) definitely could be making things worse.  

2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Totally 

Nice... looking forward to hearing more about it. I just use a Shrimpery to hatch my bbs. Have heard of these but don’t know much about them. 

Seemed cool from what I’ve read here on NR, so wanted to give it a shot. I also have my sea monkey tank hatching BBS as well. 😂

• Like 3

I’m in a posty mood tonight.  Check out this cowrie!  Didn’t know they could cover their shells with spikes like this.  Got a cool punk rock vibe going on here. 
E3214A82-5AFF-42FE-81CA-A6847EDC5819.thumb.jpeg.7f968489f19edade7417bc6dfd62e930.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Agreed.  My lighting (as nice as it is) definitely could be making things worse.  

Once your macros take off they should more than compete 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

I’m in a posty mood tonight.  Check out this cowrie!  Didn’t know they could cover their shells with spikes like this.  Got a cool punk rock vibe going on here. 
E3214A82-5AFF-42FE-81CA-A6847EDC5819.thumb.jpeg.7f968489f19edade7417bc6dfd62e930.jpeg

What type of cowrie ? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, William said:

Once your macros take off they should more than compete 

And once the macros take off I’ll probably get some dinos. 😅

Just now, William said:

What type of cowrie ? 

It was called an Atlantic Deer Cowrie on KPAquatics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I doubt you will have dinos having started off with this rock... from what I have seen it is much less common in tank started with real live rock 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Wow that’s awesome! Is that the same critter you posted earlier that was smooth in the previous pic? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Wow that’s awesome! Is that the same critter you posted earlier that was smooth in the previous pic? 

Yup! This guy:

756026F2-0BD9-47F6-97E1-14A34EBF2909.thumb.jpeg.37f0a36a874cae5d00e32759b815c099.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yup! This guy:

756026F2-0BD9-47F6-97E1-14A34EBF2909.thumb.jpeg.37f0a36a874cae5d00e32759b815c099.jpeg

That’s incredible! Can’t believe people don’t talk about them more!!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Close up of the craziness going on in my tank rn. Hair algae, cyano, even bryopsis (and more)!  😬

9F8B3162-6F75-424E-B99A-1649014A8F81.thumb.jpeg.1e193e693c70a806c090c046581ec665.jpeg

Still kinda pretty though. 😅

My rock looks the same at the moment, but my snail does a great job! 😊

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Close up of the craziness going on in my tank rn. Hair algae, cyano, even bryopsis (and more)!  😬

As long as you keep it COVID free. My CUC is working overtime to clean and sanitize the tank. 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
5 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Picked up one of these too. 
7853EE36-6C46-4295-B882-31116FDB9811.thumb.jpeg.3d378e6e2d739b4ff0663944c98ec6ea.jpeg

Watch out mine left the Artemia shells littered through the tank, it seems to do better at just collecting dust

14 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

That's so cool! I want!

Edit: Is it a money cowrie or tiger? Or something else I don't know about?  I'm sure I could figure it out with some googling but I certainly wouldn't want to disturb the extreme laziness that has befallen me over the past few weeks 😋 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, lizzyann said:

That's so cool! I want!

Edit: Is it a money cowrie or tiger? Or something else I don't know about?  I'm sure I could figure it out with some googling but I certainly wouldn't want to disturb the extreme laziness that has befallen me over the past few weeks 😋 

Listed as an Atlantic Deer Cowrie (Cypraea cervus) on KPAquatics.  But they also note that they might not be reef-safe (possibly will eat sponges and zoanthids).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Wow I've never seen a cowrie cover its entire shell like that. What a fascinating mantle.

I read earlier today that the cowrie mantles that cover their shells coat them with enamel and keep the shells shiny. 

• Like 2

How high was your ammonia spike from your live rock, I tried to get KPA to ship mine in water (I told them I would pay more)  but they said it’s not possible ...

17 minutes ago, William said:

How high was your ammonia spike from your live rock, I tried to get KPA to ship mine in water (I told them I would pay more)  but they said it’s not possible ...

I didn't test initially, but it must have been pretty significant just based on the smell and die off that I saw.

1 minute ago, Cannedfish said:

Your photos are Incredible! What are you using? Also, your cowrie, amazing!

Thank you!  I'm a big fan of yours on IG!  🙂 

Embarrassed to say, but I'm just using my iPhone 11 at the moment.  Hoping to get a legit camera soon though.  🤞