Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

On 2/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, Tigahboy said:

No side hustle. I have been throwing extra trimmings into this grow-out tank though.

DSC05260.thumb.jpg.a76115ccd9b453af06e7de3d32963b48.jpg

I'd would love to buy some from you and give a macro tank a shot.  LMK. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I'd would love to buy some from you and give a macro tank a shot.  LMK. 

I haven't started shipping yet (just been doing local trades/sales). If that changes, I'll let you know.

• Like 1
Posted this in my other thread, but also wrote an article about macroalgae tanks (and featured on the cover) for the latest issue of Reef Hobbyist Magazine!

1617850581199.png

Digital copy is here.

Also, moved some gorgonians out of this tank and swapped with some sargassum. Also trimmed back and removed quite a bit of the red macroalgae b/c it was just getting crazy. But now the blue hypnea growth is just exploding. It's interesting how things can change quite a bit in a macroalgae tank with each trim and growth spurt.

DSC06071-2.thumb.jpg.43b0aae9dcec2363906ab786bb9bd90a.jpg

DSC06079.thumb.jpg.b205c6c8f20f194b7af8e102740013d6.jpg

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

How do you keep the macro clean from collect detritus? 

Oooo good question.  I am curious to know this as well.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

How do you keep the macro clean from collect detritus? 

Good ol' fashioned blast and siphon out during my weekly water changes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Good ol' fashioned blast and siphon out during my weekly water changes.

Like, you take your siphon hose and just kinda....wiggle it around the macro?  I hate that I'm socially inept and don't have a local reefer to show me how some of these things work sometimes. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Like, you take your siphon hose and just kinda....wiggle it around the macro?  I hate that I'm socially inept and don't have a local reefer to show me how some of these things work sometimes. 

Well I use a turkey baster to blast off detritus off the macro first, so it's floating around and then I siphon out around the macro (instead of ever touching the macro with my siphon hose). Hope that makes sense.

17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Well I use a turkey baster to blast off detritus off the macro first, so it's floating around and then I siphon out around the macro (instead of ever touching the macro with my siphon hose). Hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense!  I'm battling flatworms and that's the same technique I tried to get the suckers off my rockwork - blast and siphon!  🙂

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
sam_the_reefer

This tank is my inspiration for my macro tank and I know it's now overrun with Ochtodes 🙂 but, will red macroalgae do well even without dosing? Also are Sargassum easy to keep? Anything I should watch out for?

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 6:34 AM, xellos88 said:

This tank is my inspiration for my macro tank and I know it's now overrun with Ochtodes 🙂 but, will red macroalgae do well even without dosing? Also are Sargassum easy to keep? Anything I should watch out for?

I've actually added back in more reds and now reds are fighting back the blue hypnea. If you have sufficient nutrients in your tank with feeding and such, maybe you can do without dosing. Sargassum is not easy. I've never been able to keep them alive long-term. Sorry this is a very late reply. 🙂

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

A recent shot of this tank. Still up and running. 🙂

DSC03164-2.thumb.jpg.500ba631e5eb3dc0ff99069354bea465.jpg

DSC03141.thumb.jpg.9668bd56712d6546a9e5845a197591db.jpg

If that's hypnea in the front I can't wait for mine to take off like that! I started with a tiny clump that completely fell apart but I left all the bits and pieces in the tank now I have a good little bit firmly attached to the rock where I originally tried to tie them too 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kekke1082 said:

If that's hypnea in the front I can't wait for mine to take off like that! I started with a tiny clump that completely fell apart but I left all the bits and pieces in the tank now I have a good little bit firmly attached to the rock where I originally tried to tie them too 

Yup. Hypnea. It actually covered almost all of this tank at one point and I was able to trade in a bunch of it to an LFS for store credit.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

A few other macroalgae tanks I'm currently running:

IM 30L

DSC03565.thumb.jpg.f3f1112166c33c83ef84400fa3b65553.jpg

UNS 60S

DSC03277.thumb.jpg.f64e3785331960350e46be62c70855eb.jpg]

UNS 5N

DSC01298.thumb.jpg.62ea567c2fc5d554d39863d207e0e2d7.jpg

Just started a bowl as well.

DSC03088-2.thumb.jpg.3e6066a50c5af24534d0a684fbea5ceb.jpg

I saw that bowl of yours! It's going to be gorgeous wants it's done. 

• Like 1