Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

Chriss Fishes

Good idea!

I think it may depend on the type of wood you use, too. Mopani, for example, is super dirty and tends to rot pretty quick, IME. If you go with a cleaner wood (Malaysian has been decent for me), it may take longer before you see it start to decay.

Or, you could try coating it in something to keep water from degrading it at all. Maybe the same stuff they use on aquarium ornaments?

• Like 2
Chriss Fishes
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

She hasn’t posted in a few years now. I miss her. 

Her macro tank was what got me to convert one of my tanks into SW, actually.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, HarrisonAquatics said:

Good idea!

I think it may depend on the type of wood you use, too. Mopani, for example, is super dirty and tends to rot pretty quick, IME. If you go with a cleaner wood (Malaysian has been decent for me), it may take longer before you see it start to decay.

Or, you could try coating it in something to keep water from degrading it at all. Maybe the same stuff they use on aquarium ornaments?

I like the coating option as well.  Polygem 1618 Clear Epoxy could work. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ef4life said:

Doesn't the wood float? Do you have to anchor it down?

Will have to weigh down and soak for awhile until it’s sufficiently waterlogged. 

• Like 2
Chriss Fishes

You could get a piece of slate rock and silicone the wood to the rock. The rock would sit under the substrate and weigh the wood down, and should be inert. I guess you could even use a couple chunks of base rock, and make it look like rubble around the wood.

• Like 2

@HarrisonAquatics @SliceGolfer all good ideas. I already ordered the clear epoxy. I’ll test it out on a small piece of wood first and will decide on next steps after seeing the results. 

I still need to get LR too. I really want to cherry pick in person but don’t have a lot of good options local to me so I may have to just order some online and hope for the best. 

• Like 4
mitten_reef

If I were a betting man, over or under: this thread is gonna hit 5 pages before the tank gets wet. 🤣
So much excitement and interests around this one. I, for one, can’t wait to see how the driftwood look comes out!!!omgomgomg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Downside to having a black background - can’t backlight. 
25354460-1B65-427F-B23B-E7F0567D5967.thumb.jpeg.44193e9ae347b45dfad2949ae519cbe1.jpeg

You can come to Phoenix and take photos of my tank with the backlight I don’t mind 😀

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

If I were a betting man, over or under: this thread is gonna hit 5 pages before the tank gets wet. 🤣
So much excitement and interests around this one. I, for one, can’t wait to see how the driftwood look comes out!!!omgomgomg

Hoping for the best with the driftwood.  Could be a complete failure but that's what makes it exciting.  😁

2 hours ago, ef4life said:

You can come to Phoenix and take photos of my tank with the backlight I don’t mind 😀

Considering we are basically in a Covid-19 outbreak in Seattle right now, Phoenix sounds good right about now (could use some warmer weather as well).  Thought about going to the store to get stuff for the tank, but decided to stay away from people.  Guess I'll be doing a lot of online orders.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

The bogwood has caught my attention, will be following closely!

Thanks for following along!  🙂

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I love it. You always come up with some thing no one else is trying. At least not that I have noticed. 

Glad you like it!  Love trying out new things, especially for these contests. 

• Like 2
Keeper of my nieces Ocean
On 3/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, Tigahboy said:

True. Can’t do both.  Hmmm. 🤔

If you're coating it could you drill it and insert some weights?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

If you're coating it could you drill it and insert some weights?

This is getting complicated...

• Haha 1

This reminds me of Tannin Aquatics brackish mangrove tank. Those guys might have some ideas for the kind of stuff you want to do. I've been getting stuff from them for years for my fresh blackwater tanks. They sell mangrove tree roots that you could swap out that spider wood piece for. I love macros tho so totally following!

• Like 2