Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

Tigahboy

I'm possibly considering this tank. Any pro's/con's now that you've had it for a bit - in general and compared to the IM Nuvo tanks?

• Like 1
On 6/27/2020 at 6:37 PM, Hexadron said:

I'm possibly considering this tank. Any pro's/con's now that you've had it for a bit - in general and compared to the IM Nuvo tanks?

I think IM tanks are great tanks (had a 20g peninsula) and as close to ready right out the box as you can get.  These UNS tanks are still fairly new and do require some upgrades (notably the pump) and the filter chambers are small (and probably have less filtration options as the IM).  That said, it's a beautiful tank and I prefer the dimensions of this tank over a comparable sized IM tank.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, yoshii said:

Thinking about trimming back the forest?

I do trim a little almost daily.  I go back and forth on whether to just let this grow grow grow or to do a major trim.  What's your vote?

• Wow 1
18 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

If you let it grow much more we won't see any rock.

100% I've been trimming just enough to keep that center rock exposed (and avoid the gorgs from being completely swallowed up). 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

It looks amazing! But I do think you should trim it a little more on the left so we can see more of the gorgonians!!

Fair.  I'm sure the gorgs would be happier too with a big trim over there.  I'm always nervous when I trim a lot.  I feel like I'm cutting someone's hair (and I have no idea how to do that btw) and will get some complaints if I don't do a good job.

• Haha 4
Lessis More

Hey Tigahboy

Your tank is an inspiration!  I also would like to put together a planted reef tank very similar to yours...the plants you have chosen are great and the gorgonians really balance it...awesome!

I have an IM Nuvo 40 up and running now for about 8 months.  2 Fish, CUC, a few corals, live rock...all is well and going great!

Now is the time for plants...

I have many questions but mostly I need a reality check.   I wont pile them on you all at once.😄

As the tank looks now...so nicely grown in...How often are you putting your hands in the tank and trimming?

Is this type of tank a lot of maintenance?

Could I have this amount of plants and still have a once a week maintenance routine?

All info is greatly appreciated!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Lessis More said:

Hey Tigahboy

Your tank is an inspiration!  I also would like to put together a planted reef tank very similar to yours...the plants you have chosen are great and the gorgonians really balance it...awesome!

I have an IM Nuvo 40 up and running now for about 8 months.  2 Fish, CUC, a few corals, live rock...all is well and going great!

Now is the time for plants...

I have many questions but mostly I need a reality check.   I wont pile them on you all at once.😄

As the tank looks now...so nicely grown in...How often are you putting your hands in the tank and trimming?

Is this type of tank a lot of maintenance?

Could I have this amount of plants and still have a once a week maintenance routine?

All info is greatly appreciated!

Nice!  Awesome to hear you will be setting one up as well.  I'd like to see more of these one day.  I'm actually in the process of setting up a second macroalgae tank rn as well.

As for maintenance, I was trimming daily at one point, but now I just do a big trim once a week.  So once a week could be doable. 

I'd dose a macroalgae fertilizer and try to have detectable nitrates and phosphates.  But with macroalge, no crazy filtration needed.

• Like 1
Lessis More

That is good news!  This is my third tank over the years and I know if I had to put my hands in the tank a few times a week......probably not gonna happen.☺️

On a previous post you listed your supplements.

BA  Ferrion Iron

BA NeoPhos  Phosphorus

BA NeoNitro Nitrogen

BA ChaetoGro

Its obviously working for you.

How did you come up with your routine for dosing?

Are you tuned in visually with your tank or testing....or both?

What are you testing for and how often?

When testing, what numbers are you happy with?

My tank has around a 2 to 3 week water change scheudule.  No skimmer, filter floss filtration changed every 3 days....sometimes carbon.

Nitrate sits around 10 

Phos…..honestly I have a salifert test and I cant see any.

PH 8 and above.....solid 

ALK 9.5 to 10

Salinity 35ppt

So far looking real clean in the tank....no issues....knock on wood!

Thank you!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lessis More said:

That is good news!  This is my third tank over the years and I know if I had to put my hands in the tank a few times a week......probably not gonna happen.☺️

On a previous post you listed your supplements.

BA  Ferrion Iron

BA NeoPhos  Phosphorus

BA NeoNitro Nitrogen

BA ChaetoGro

Its obviously working for you.

How did you come up with your routine for dosing?

Are you tuned in visually with your tank or testing....or both?

What are you testing for and how often?

When testing, what numbers are you happy with?

My tank has around a 2 to 3 week water change scheudule.  No skimmer, filter floss filtration changed every 3 days....sometimes carbon.

Nitrate sits around 10 

Phos…..honestly I have a salifert test and I cant see any.

PH 8 and above.....solid 

ALK 9.5 to 10

Salinity 35ppt

So far looking real clean in the tank....no issues....knock on wood!

Thank you!

I do test weekly (initially daily to fine-tune dosing).  But basically I keep my Nitrates at around 5 and Phosphates at around 0.05 (I know others keep them higher, but I get enough growth with these levels).  I don't test for iron or other trace elements in the fertilizer, so I just dose those per the instructions (which will vary depending on size of tank).  I also do weekly water changes.  Macroalge will consume alk, so I do dose that as well to keep those levels up (which helps with photosynthesis as well since macroalgae will use the sodium carbonate in alk solution for that purpose).

• Like 1
Lessis More

Thanks Tigahboy!  

Caulerpa Taxifolia or Caulerpa Prolifera...in your experience what has a lower risk at taking a tank over?

And or

Which one can be removed easier if you want it out of your tank?

🙏

44 minutes ago, Lessis More said:

Thanks Tigahboy!  

Caulerpa Taxifolia or Caulerpa Prolifera...in your experience what has a lower risk at taking a tank over?

And or

Which one can be removed easier if you want it out of your tank?

🙏

I would choose prolifera over taxifolia all day.  Taxifolia can definitely get out of hand and hard to remove; prolifera isn't too hard to remove.  Of course, buyer beware for any caulerpa and all that jazz.

21 hours ago, William said:

Looks great!! 

Thank you!  Nice to see you back around.

• Like 1