Pod Your Reef

Spilled chemipure elite

LinkEB3

I can’t seem to google the answer to this, had anyone accidentally spilled a good amount of the  chemipure bag into their aquarium? I blew a bunch of it off the rocks and anemone, but the chances of me seeing which is sand vs chemipure..

how bad is this?

On 2/23/2020 at 3:54 AM, LinkEB3 said:

I can’t seem to google the answer to this, had anyone accidentally spilled a good amount of the  chemipure bag into their aquarium? I blew a bunch of it off the rocks and anemone, but the chances of me seeing which is sand vs chemipure..

how bad is this?

Monitor your PO4 closely, you may need to feed or dose to bring the levels back up if the Chemi Pure has stripped it

All other parameters as well

• Thanks 1

From what I've gathered Cyano could be from other things other than Po4 so still would be helpful to check although Chemipure Elite specifically has never been powerful enough to strip P04 completely out of any of my systems in the past. That's not to say it hasn't in yours.

Not going to lie i've made this mistake in the past. I used a turkey baster to blow any residue off the corals and there was no damage or issues once the cloud settled. 

Try to siphon out as much as you can -- it "should" be a lot lighter than most of your sand.  Hopefully.

Cyano is normal.  If anything it is caused by the lack of green algae growing instead

Green algae likes nitrates and phosphates.

But most importantly snails will eat the living daylights out of green algae.  But they generally won't touch cyano with a 10' pole.

So allow nutrients in the water.  Allow green algae to grow.   Have snails around to eat it.  Should be no more cyano....and sooner or later coralline algae will take over.

(Next time leave the bag sealed?  or do the bag work away from the tank?  or skip the media?)