Coral Vue Hydros

Rascal the cat’s 5 gallon 365 day AIO Challenge

Lorenz725

To be honest I was not going to join the challenge. I have 2 20 gallon mixed reefs that take a lot of my time and money. BUT..... I went to my LFS anniversary sale and low and behold I won a 5 gallon Aquatop Pisces tank. With the tank falling in my lap how could I not join in on the fun? 

Why is it Rascal the Cat’s tank? Well about 5 years ago I used to have a 5.5 gallon set up on our pass through from our kitchen to the dining room and he loved that tank. Rascal is now 13 and though still plays like a kitten he has had some medical issues. Soooo this tank is going to be set up for his enjoyment. 

Ok ok so now the fun part the equipment list. 
Tank: 5 gallon AIO Aquatop Pisces 

Filter: Not sure what media I will be using

Light: Stock LED 4.3W 

Return pump: Stock  53GPH 

Hater: buying soon 
Rock Scape: still in the works 

Coral: Softies 

Fish: Goby?

Inverts: Sexy shrimp? 

D90EEB1B-7C63-4132-8FBA-F3942D626E10.jpeg

832D1B52-A240-4A28-A610-1B62280E174D.jpeg

BC536BE4-3C85-45B7-9736-EF28689414DB.jpeg

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

Wow!  That's sweet.  Imagine if you won this contest with a tank that you won. :lol:

100% no joke I never win anything! Not even a scratch off lottery ticket. There were about 20 items in the giveaway and this was the only tank. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

great choice in hot sauce! that stuff is yummy hot as hell but has flavor too. 

congrats on winning the tank I was looking at that tank as well as many others but it was on the short list.

our cat loves the reefs too.

welcome to the challenge....

6 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

great choice in hot sauce! that stuff is yummy hot as hell but has flavor too. 

congrats on winning the tank I was looking at that tank as well as many others but it was on the short list.

our cat loves the reefs too.

welcome to the challenge....

Agree! It does not take much of that sauce to kick things up. 

I am really liking the design of the tank not to sure about the AIO insert. 

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Rascal Welcome Lorenz, I might just call you lucky. Good luck with your tank and the contest. Following

Thank you! Today is my 9 year anniversary on Nano-Reef wow does the time fly!!!

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Happy Anniversary!

Thank you time sure flys by. I have been able to learn so much from this forum and when I stepped away from the hobby for a few years I was so happy to see this from was still going strong. 

• Like 1

Not much to update. Still waiting on my heater to get here before I will add water to the tank. I was able to barrow a PAR meter from a buddy to check my light. The tank came with a 8.3W led light and puts off about 50 PAR so should be enough to get me started with some zoas and shrooms. Still trying to decide on my rock scape. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Lorenz725 said:

Not much to update. Still waiting on my heater to get here before I will add water to the tank. I was able to barrow a PAR meter from a buddy to check my light. The tank came with a 8.3W led light and puts off about 50 PAR so should be enough to get me started with some zoas and shrooms. Still trying to decide on my rock scape. 

not bad par for that light. like you said zoas and shrooms should do fine. nice of your buddy to leand the par meter always good to know what you have!

• Thanks 1

Well got a hater today so added rodi water. Will add salt after it hits temp. Why working on the tank I hurt myself for the first time in reefing in 20+ years. I was modifying the back to fit my heater and my hand slipped and my thumb slammed into the sharp edge. Took about 4 hours to stop bleeding but I think I will live. I just have to keep my hand out of my other tanks till it is healed. After adding salt the next step is rock scape taking this one slow. 

6EE00B95-308D-48AD-A68E-5886D2636C99.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Is your hand all better now?

That it is thanks for asking. The head part is keeping my hand out of my other tanks. 

No update on the tank waiting on my glue to get here to work on my aqua scape. I am hoping to maybe have time this weekend to get it done.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I just put water in mine yesterday. No idea about the scape yet. But the rock is wet and some is already cycled.

To me it’s a bit harder doing scape in such small tanks. You have to really thinking it out. When I had my 150 I just stacked them up and had plenty of room for corals. 

• Like 1

Well this is not the update I wanted to post but. My dog/best friend/ work buddy tore her ACL and will have to have surgery. The cost is a bit overwhelming so the tank is on hold. Not sure I will be able to move forward with it. I just have to get past this is see what the next step will be. 
BDEE27BB-9104-42BA-B232-D936F0B499F4.thumb.png.0c73e5047cadb90c3a3cdf9cfa30af34.png

• Sad 1

Yes you need to take care of that poor pup. I hope it goes well. If you can just let the tank sit with the rock and top off when you can. But if it is to stressful just worry about the dog and take care of your self. If you can let us know how it goes.

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Yes you need to take care of that poor pup. I hope it goes well. If you can just let the tank sit with the rock and top off when you can. But if it is to stressful just worry about the dog and take care of your self. If you can let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the support we have to set up a time with the surgeon and go from there. I hope to get it done ASAP and get her on her way to recovery. Will update when all is done and let you knew how things go. I am still a bit in shock the tank will stay up with water in it for now. 

• Like 2

Well got a little bit of good news from the surgeon today. Sadie’s ACL is not tore but she does have bad arthritis and will need a shot once a month and be on meds. Soooo good news no surgery but arthritis this bad a only 7 years old is not good. 

Tank is up and worked in rock scape today will update with pics soon. Going to keep this tank rolling for now. Thank you all for the support! 
53EF0872-1A3E-4167-8587-6907F63C9D64.thumb.jpeg.20193eb56570e71763974553eea09302.jpeg

• Like 2