Amphrites

In the interest of making sure I have qualifying FTS, here are a few quick shots of lydia wishing I'd leave her alone. 
(Seriously, I lived and grew up on the big island, I never figured life'd put me in a room with a fish giving me the stink eye)

IMG_20200316_155543_21.thumb.jpg.24ccf100cb88dd367d192c9804c5a5a4.jpg

IMG_20200316_155541_11.thumb.jpg.6a4ae1c1f88bccb1cfa85a9a12227d4f.jpg

You also probably noticed the new coral, it's the most expensive one in the tank - a kind of Colgate Red-White-Blue Acan. It was $20, but it went to a local who could use it and the Acan is for my wife who has difficulty seeing greens and blues in our tanks - the lighting makes it difficult for her to tell the colors apart. 

Oddly enough the white in this animal still appears green to her, it's really, really interesting to hear how she see's animals compared to myself. Partial-oops on my part XD

• Like 4

cosmicbread

Following, love the look of this tank already! I'm also a sucker for those "oddball" aquarium shapes. Your choice of branching rock work was a good decision here, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amphrites
34 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

Following, love the look of this tank already! I'm also a sucker for those "oddball" aquarium shapes. Your choice of branching rock work was a good decision here, imo.

It was a lucky find for sure, branch rock is hard to come-bye these days, been loving the progress of your systems!

• Like 1

Amphrites

I love this little damsel, she pulled the algae from it's rock and now has to constantly, with extreme-frustration and pecking, drag it out of her nest every time the current blows it back in. I've tried to secure and put it underneath rocks, but moving anything re-subjects it to her OCD and she'll just re-arrange the rock its' under back to her liking in short-order or tear the algae back out -starting the cycle over again.
What a hilarious little animal.

I'll try to get a video if she pulls it back out from its' most-recent spot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Amphrites

The promised video of Lydia living with the consequences of her actions. She continues to insist on moving any rockwork or frags which go into the tank as well lol, I've just been leaving her to it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xapFGstbE2EbowtR8

A couple shot's of the branching Briarium's growth and this month's FTS. I'm having to ration waterchanges and the animals in my systems are meeting it with mixed reactions.

IMG_20200414_173456_91.thumb.jpg.4cc975acd4b54c69bda0d1e7bcef5c47.jpg

IMG_20200414_173521_73.thumb.jpg.461201738d77029c0c778ee3d76808e4.jpg

IMG_20200414_173545_56.thumb.jpg.4fe5145e39f48d246855f157c8160343.jpg

• Like 3

Amphrites

May update and FTS

• Acan is recovering nicely, it's nearly totally-healed from where its' largest head was cut in half - no real new growth but it presents a tons of feeders at night which makes me want to start feeding a bit of benereef.
  • The frogspawn's base, which started out pinprick-small, is now easily the size of a dime, it's not much and the colony hasn't visibly grown that much, but its come a long way.
  • White-tipped Torch has mostly ceased to be fussy and now has great extension again, I think it was mostly upset because the Nitrates in my two systems essentially hit 0.
  • I'm now dosing a bit of phyto, some aminos, and nitrate a few times a week alongside a touch of alk and calcium to keep things elevated and happy.
  • The duncan is nice and fluffy, the tentacles are short and fat, but we knew that when we bought it. The animal seems much happier in this lower energy system than the main.
  • The GSP continues to grow at an almost daily-visible pace and the chip of favia is still holding on somehow.
  • The dragons' breath has been beaten to death lol, I have a small forest in the main system so I'm not too heartbroken.

I added the chalice coral to this system as it seems to be having a hard time recovering from a bacterial infection which killed the main system's favia overnight (there's some flesh regrowing thankfully). I've no idea what it is but it causes transparent white bubbles on the flesh of these animals, it could be simple bleaching, reactions to low nutrients, too much flow, it being pissy about my clownfish using it as a couch. Hard to say, too many factors as usual, but I decided to take the risk of spreading a potential infectious pathogen to attempt to save one of my oldest colonies in a lower-energy environment. 

Also picked up a gorgeous Ironman shroom for $12 from a local, been wanting one of these for a while as I absolutely love they way they look, the rate they spread is... too bad, but I made a nice island for it and will deal with that problem when I must.

IMG_20200502_095550_03.thumb.jpg.4856b2cb320d2a4dab6d384ef270dd6f.jpg

IMG_20200502_095612_26.thumb.jpg.8c14606b4fb59bad029d503d5e050e7c.jpg

IMG_20200502_095734_92.thumb.jpg.82e063b0eb897d23df53f5a36a234508.jpg

IMG_20200502_095750_02.thumb.jpg.dd179b31ae4fe89d8789c1eac6feb2b3.jpg

• Like 1

Amphrites

I just realized my tank shots are a collection of my damselfish giving me stink-eye.

• Haha 1

Ratvan
20 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I just realized my tank shots are a collection of my damselfish giving me stink-eye.

They have such great attitudes

• Like 1

Amphrites

I love damsels, they're such a treat to watch.

Here's a shot of the chalice, I'll have to get a better picture - it's purple with bright red, pink, and orange stripes - greenish rims around the mouths.

IMG_20200510_172926_95.thumb.jpg.3c646d66797515f6b0b64ed5748622f5.jpg

• Like 3

Peaches

What are you using to dose nitrates?

Amphrites
5 hours ago, Peaches said:

What are you using to dose nitrates?

Seachem Flourish Nitrate, I have the phosphate as well from a Dino outbreak in my main system, but I've found keeping P04 above zero is easier and likely more healthily done via Phytoplankton dosing.

• Like 1