ReefCleaners.org

The tube returns!

Plans - I'm not sure, the Rollands will likely be banished here to keep it cycled.
Lots of Macro once it's in season again, maybe an elegance or some euphyllia to just let go nuts in a nutrient-heavy system.

I may as well do a little pricing game since I tagged this as a #BudgetReef, I'll update below whenever anything gets added:

-Atoll tank, freebie with $130 AI Prime (I sold the light, bought a prime hd for 120 and then sold that - in any case the light's not on the tank so I don't think it counts)

-Return pump, came with tank

-Finnex Titanium Heater $20

-ABI Tuna Blue PAR 38 $30 ($3 for the lowedepot bargain fixture and $2 for the pie-tin light-shield)

12/20 Replaced with equal-cost NiCrew Hyperreef

-Branch Rock $15

-Rolland's Damselfish $20 ($0 after store-credit, but that's kind of cheating)

-Dragons Breath $0 (Was $5 for the original frag, but little lydia likes to frag it for me)

-Odd Frogspawn morph $0 ( $5 originally, Came from 20L system -should maybe count?)

-White Tipped Torch $0 ($10 originally, Came from 20L system -should maybe count?)

-Pair of Trochus $3

-Red Legged hermit and shells $2

-4+ dwarf ceriths $0 (compliments of old tank and possible baby-time, still have a few juvie trochus growing up)

-Branching Briarium $5 

March Additions:

-Duncan (purchased by my wonderful wife) $10

-Bravo Favia (Some crazy oaf of a monkey came in and fragged the original $15 animal, what luck!) 

-Baby Acan colony $20

May Additions:

-Chalice coral from 20 Long $0 ($10 or so last year -might need to count?)

-Iron Man Disco $12

August Additions:

-Neon Green Sinularia $10

-Autumn Favia $5

-Hydor Centrifugal 260 Return pump $25

November Additions:

-Gobstopper Zoanthid $3 PP $10

-Miami Hurricane Chalice $5 (Thank you PieMan2k for the ID)

-Mystic Monti $Free.99

December Shuffling:

-Sinularia swapped with Trumpet coral

-Par Bulb swapped for NiCrew

$192 Total

IMG_20200222_173607.thumb.jpg.f318a8259c00a13e150ad286c99182df.jpg

This is about the tanks, not me, so I decided to post every acrylic-tanks favorite snackfood, Polish...

I may have accidentally crazed the whole interior with a paper-towel which previously had rubbing alcohol on it, and it may have taken a few days to polish it clear again.

IMG_20200222_173613.thumb.jpg.c524df04b9c9944894340c6d4eabb3d3.jpg

Whole setup is just waiting for a table to sit on, and then will get wet and dirty with some nice pre-cycled rock, I'll even toss a damsel in for color!

• Like 11
  • Wow 1

Heck ya!! Don't think these are even for sale anymore? I love it!

I recommend magic eraser original for cleaning the acrylic. My cold water tank still looking nice after 5 years. It is all I use on acrylic. 

• Like 1

Oh you know that condiment pic isn’t gonna fly... you’d better throw in something consumed by humans too... they are very serious about that condiment rule! 😉🤗

• Wow 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Heck ya!! Don't think these are even for sale anymore? I love it!

I recommend magic eraser original for cleaning the acrylic. My cold water tank still looking nice after 5 years. It is all I use on acrylic. 

They're all I use on it too, I cut them in half lol.

15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh you know that condiment pic isn’t gonna fly... you’d better throw in something consumed by humans too... they are very serious about that condiment rule! 😉🤗

There are so few condiments I can have these days, health nonsense, I suppose I can scrounge something up before water goes in lol...

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, mollylope said:

What kind of tank is this? I’ve seen Innovative Marine round AIO but I don’t think they make it anymore. 

It's their Atoll 12 gallon, they don't really exist anymore, I got it as a freebie a few years back when I bought an AI Prime.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

It's their Atoll 12 gallon, they don't really exist anymore, I got it as a freebie a few years back when I bought an AI Prime.

nice freebie!

man this challenge is getting serious

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Add the "365 day challenge" tag to your thread to ensure it's easy for others to find!! 

It is tagged as 365 aio though?
Spose' I'll add that one too.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

It is tagged as 365 aio though?
Spose' I'll add that one too.

Yeah, the official one is "365 day challenge"

The tag with aio must have been made by someone at some point. You can see there's only a few tanks tagged with that one. 

• Thanks 1

All these adjectives command a high price these days, turnate, ornate, but I think I can get some serious returns off my one-of-a-kind Irate-damselfish.

IMG_20200226_133003_21.thumb.jpg.43962a928d83be1e2e75401cfe4106b5.jpg

IMG_20200226_132950_33.thumb.jpg.c40854fa1e68b3bccc8c85bc4ddce312.jpg

• I took the branchrock out of my main 20 gal system, alongside the branching briarium, and the damsel soon followed - easy out too, distract with food, drop the barrier and net.

IMG_20200225_214514.thumb.jpg.28cb95033d444114244d987a302bd2bf.jpg

I'd built the branch rock as a centerpiece for an older layout after picking it all up from a local for a few bucks. It was simple enough to piece-together a somewhat-vertical and root-like structure, which was freestanding, and then glue it together.

• I'm definitely keeping the rockwork minimalistic in this setup, I want that little brat of a damsel to have as much room to poke-about as possible (and my inclinations in coral-stocking will benefit from open space and a bare-bottom). 

Plus I actually kind of adore this super-open feel the scape has, especially since this tank serves as a centerpiece for the room now.

Predominantly negative-space really draws attention and it helps that the damsel immediately settled-in, flitting about far more actively than in the 20-long without missing a beat.
I get the impression she quite-prefers this scape too.

IMG_20200226_113357_01.thumb.jpg.6615454f6802d100228cbb1a1c86af88.jpg

IMG_20200226_113346_57.thumb.jpg.41df0bfbc8bae00cd16ad05fe7071fc2.jpg

• Made a DIY hood to cut down on light and glare from the PAR 38 in the rest of the room, works insanely-well actually lol.

IMG_20200226_113217_43.thumb.jpg.3e2b8f2a88c916752f6d97b9f27a624a.jpg

IMG_20200226_113154_13.thumb.jpg.b6ac048cefad8e3ca2ecf9b8be81246b.jpg

• Like 8

This is going to be a flowy, flurfy tank - and little lydia is only a part in the plan.
Should have better quality in a minute or two.

I already like this scape so much more than anything the Atoll had in it previously.

If you look closely you can see the misshapen bottom-fin on Lydia from where the clown (it was housed-with at the LFS) almost tore it completely-off. It's nearly the same length as the other but she doesn't seem to have full control of it, instead it tends to lag-behind and stay at an angle closer to her body compared to the other.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcXeeEScdYiiPztw9

• Like 5
This guy is extra salty

I actually like this tank 

well you don’t have any close ups of the acrylic (so you’re saved for now) is it a full circle or like 75%  I have been wanting to do something similar (quite a few requests for a  custom jelly tank)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I actually like this tank 

well you don’t have any close ups of the acrylic (so you’re saved for now) is it a full circle or like 75%  I have been wanting to do something similar (quite a few requests for a  custom jelly tank)

Lol, the lousy acrylic work was done in my 20 long and may continue to be done in future janky builds. This one is stock, I just polish it back to factory-shine every once in a while, usually as a result of my own slip-ups (like crazing the entire inside with rubbing alcohol.

Unfortunately my own work is mostly janky because I have no tools anymore after the last few moves haha.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
12 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Lol, the lousy acrylic work was done in my 20 long and may continue to be done in future janky builds. This one is stock, I just polish it back to factory-shine every once in a while, usually as a result of my own slip-ups (like crazing the entire inside with rubbing alcohol.

Unfortunately my own work is mostly janky because I have no tools anymore after the last few moves haha.

yea huge no no on using a solvent as a cleaner lol   were you trying to glue your cloth to the tank?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

yea huge no no on using a solvent as a cleaner lol   were you trying to glue your cloth to the tank?

I forgot I had used a magic-eraser already, still had some isopropyl on it apparently. I got pretty lucky in that it appeared to be a very small amount.

Speaking of potentially bad ideas, I was thinking of trying to use a pair of magnets to make a mag-scrubber out of a little piece of magic-eraser, what're your bets on that being a bad idea lol?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

March Update

Not much has changed in a month, the stand this is on bothers me, it's rated for 180 lbs -though it's not mentioned whether that's standing weight - but I still think I'm going to reinforce it with some wood-pillars underneath.

• I've added a pretty bi-color duncan colony from the main system and a totally, purposefully-fragged Bravo pentagonia favia which, and I cannot stress this enough, I obviously meant to frag off the main-body of the coral by splitting the whole plug clean down the center.

In all seriousness it seems to have grown a mouth so I'm hopeful that it may actually survive, although it's small enough and frail enough that I still am far from expecting it to.

IMG_20200312_155800_61.thumb.jpg.6341b381f1a1784b0086500e1dd7e8d7.jpg

IMG_20200312_155647_38.thumb.jpg.a5a0185a7692a23481a26ea571ee8d6e.jpg

A nice shot of Lydia's specially-picked frag of dragon's breath

IMG_20200312_155629_09.thumb.jpg.723c48e75e4c410e14acaed1c855af77.jpg

The branching metallic Briarium is actually gettin-along well, might have its' first branch soon

IMG_20200312_155612_89.thumb.jpg.032388ae89fa06ef05deda968276d347.jpg

The little white-tip torch and funky-branching tree-frogspawn are nice and fluffed out, although walking too heavily or close to the tank freaks the torch out some.

IMG_20200312_155706_85.thumb.jpg.4c919978f442feee01cc9e02b225fdd9.jpg

And here are a few Videos of little lydia and the corals blowing in the gentle-breeze of the return: One, Two

(As usual the quality will be better an hour or so after I upload this [*or however long it takes google to get its' act together*]

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Corals look nice. Need a FTS next.

Lol, I'm trying to do FTS as videos to make them a bit more interesting.
I do not know if that's allowed... Maybe I should take a photo just in case.

• Like 1