Cultivated Reef

Filterless Planted Marine Pico plans - looking for advice

MuddyPeaks

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here 👋🏼 

I'm an avid but new lover of plants and saltwater aquariums, and this space has been instrumental in being able to learn so much in a short amount of time. So far, I have a pretty successful 10g AIO with 2 clowns, some macro, and a few LPS going.

IMG_20200221_063742.thumb.jpg.69867fc9631c8bbf9332ad012b5182be.jpg

But recently I found and bought a used AI Prime HD and decided I wanted to set up a 5g planted macro tank with my first light: a fluval sea nano. 

Now I want to keep this as simple as possible and buy as little extra equipment as I need to. This is where I would like your input.

I got a 50w Aqueon heater and I have an Eheim Skim350 that I occasionally run on my 10g- could I use that for flow and minimal filtration? The system would mostly be running on biological filtration and water changes.

As a thought also, is live sand enough? Im still working out the scape in my head but it's a question I had in my head 🤔

I don't plan on having animals in here except a clean up crew and maybe a yellow goby? (Is this appropriate or too small a volume for the fish?) 

IMG_20200221_073551.thumb.jpg.3ae739f057b3f99f772bd0fef5d4c4e9.jpg

Thank you for anyone reading this and those that might respond 🙂

• Like 1

Hi!    :welcome:

Like your 10 gal!  You don't need much for filiterless tank that's for sure.  

I don't have personal experience with that surface skimmer but you'll want to make sure you've adequate flow in the tank. From some of the videos I've watched I'm not sure that it would provide enough.  I didn't see any gph ratings. 

Are you asking if you have enough sand in the tank or if sand alone would provide enough surface area for adequate biological filtration?  If the later, sand alone would probably be OK to support the CUC but if you do add a YCG you'll  want some rock - not only for biological filtration but also for somewhere for it to perch!  It sounded like you were working on coming up with a scape so that's really the way to go to be safe. 

If you're going with sand only I'd recommend getting a Seachem ammonia alert "badge". 

Yes, that tank will easily accomodate a YCG. 

7 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Hi!    :welcome:

Like your 10 gal!  You don't need much for filiterless tank that's for sure.  

I don't have personal experience with that surface skimmer but you'll want to make sure you've adequate flow in the tank. From some of the videos I've watched I'm not sure that it would provide enough.  I didn't see any gph ratings. 

Are you asking if you have enough sand in the tank or if sand alone would provide enough surface area for adequate biological filtration?  If the later, sand alone would probably be OK to support the CUC but if you do add a YCG you'll  want some rock - not only for biological filtration but also for somewhere for it to perch!  It sounded like you were working on coming up with a scape so that's really the way to go to be safe. 

If you're going with sand only I'd recommend getting a Seachem ammonia alert "badge". 

Yes, that tank will easily accomodate a YCG. 

Hey! Sorry for the late reply

Thank you! I am very proud of it haha 😁

The skimmer is rated for 300 lph or about 79/80 gph and has adjustable flow

Ok, I see. Yes! I was asking if the SB was enough but you're right, I'll play it safe and add some rock bec I do think I'll want the fish eventually and fish poop is great fertilizer for macros lol 

I still have to research the YCB but I'm happy to hear the tank size should be enough for it

Thank you much for the input! 

• Like 1

Filter-less planted tanks were some of the very first marine tanks kept successfully.

I would be more on the fence about adding fishy inhabitants.   The clown goby is tiny, but feeding a fish necessarily introduces a lot of nutrients to the tank on a regular basis.

Going all-invertebrate for the animals would be a better move IMO.  Mostly corals with a normal cleanup crew of herbivorous snails....one or two scavengers would be helpful for consuming leftover food or dying plant material, so that all nutrients can be recycled and not wasted.

Whether you would miss having fish is one question.  But the tank won't miss them at all....corals and everything will do just fine without them.

So it's at least something to consider.

To make sure you're ready for a YCG, read this.....surprisingly good for a Wikipedia entry about anything in our hobby....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_clown_goby

They hang out in Acro's -- usually several at a time --  just being poisonously slimy, while waiting for plankton to drift by.

I'd try hard to mimic that acropora hangout but not with a live coral.....not much you can do about having a colony of them in such a tiny tank.

The style of feeding they require (ie plankton simulation) is the messiest.   

So overall you'll have to be very mindful in your approach with fish.....this one is no different, except in the particulars.

Doing the tank without fish would almost be a no-brainer by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1