Coral Vue Hydros

banasophia

So the guard for the wavemaker was too big for the small Jebao Sine Wave Pump. 😞 I ended up deciding that the design is different enough from the back of the Neros that I’m hoping there won’t be any issue for my fish, and I started using it last night. 

I added the first coral - the torch - so I needed to get some better flow. 

One of the two fish seems to be a super picky eater. They are theoretically pretty easy fish to keep, and the one will eat pellets and frozen. The other one not so much... hope it adjusts and starts eating more. 

• Like 2

Well I’ve been busy and really haven’t had much time to spend on the tanks, but I sure do love this little tank and these cute little gobies. Went out last weekend specifically in search of a torch for this tank, and I lucked out and found one! As you can see, I still need to make the background... still just have the kiddo’s painting propped up... hopefully I’ll be able to work on it soon. 

96E0C718-D291-4DFE-B076-380B0D69692D.thumb.jpeg.e92fa3dedc317b27373c69c30c174c7a.jpeg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Well I’ve been busy and really haven’t had much time to spend on the tanks, but I sure do love this little tank and these cute little gobies. Went out last weekend specifically in search of a torch for this tank, and I lucked out and found one! As you can see, I still need to make the background... still just have the kiddo’s paining propped up... hopefully I’ll be able to work on it soon. 

96E0C718-D291-4DFE-B076-380B0D69692D.thumb.jpeg.e92fa3dedc317b27373c69c30c174c7a.jpeg

It’s looking amazing. I’m loving the scape. However is there any reason you placed the pump where you did ? 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Sancho said:

It’s looking amazing. I’m loving the scape. However is there any reason you placed the pump where you did ? 

Thanks so much, yeas, I like it there... the torch seems to as well. 😉

23 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

I am so in love with your scape. I really wish I had done something different with mine! Also I really really want a torch.

Thank you! Yeah I totally did this tank because I liked these rocks... I love your scape too though!! And I was thinking you had a torch in yours... is it a hammer, or some other kind of euphilia? 

4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thank you! Yeah I totally did this tank because I liked these rocks... I love your scape too though!! And I was thinking you had a torch in yours... is it a hammer, or some other kind of euphilia? 

It is a splatter hammer. I stole it from my 32 biocube euphilia centered tank at home... THAT also does not have a torch lol. All the torches I am drawn to are way WAY outta my coral per piece price lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My sweet little gobies, swimming over to get in the picture last night while I was trying to photograph the long lost nassarius snail. I think they’re trying to prove they’re every bit as cute as my YCG Hank. 

145651E2-A737-4929-A4E2-592A572DC4BE.thumb.jpeg.3a2fc00a5055dd812421123fb2594383.jpeg

3CA49A9A-C7A2-472D-A4D4-6D463CE47FE4.thumb.jpeg.06cdfe8786b6487d0ddf0108cfea0c30.jpeg

75189CB5-A0C8-42F9-BF95-ADA4B80160C7.thumb.jpeg.54ee1a4e83a217d8296f73be872e5d29.jpeg

• Like 7

Went to my very local coral supplier tonight to get some corals for the new tank... didn’t go far, just into the family room. This wasn’t at all how I had planned to stock this tank, but when life gives you gorgonians, well... 

068DF6F2-D66B-4438-AB0E-906F2B5553AE.thumb.jpeg.aa3b0560888945513935e13ede5f8c09.jpeg

A93A2A25-CBAD-4455-86AD-F32C707CD871.thumb.jpeg.cb74969dc6e93e0be226b4c27c1da99e.jpeg

After I took those pics and went back in to watch the next episode of Tiger King, I discovered that I had accidentally fragged my pink candy cane, so that frag’s in the tank now too. Along with a little frag rock with some Xenia, zoas, and some tiny baby sun corals. I don’t plan to feed the suns in this tank though, so they’ll probably fade away.

I’ll have to get some better pics once everything settles in. I’m having a really hard time taking pics of this tank... the pics posted here are under the white lights but it’s still looking really blue in the pics. I need to try some different lenses to see what I can do, my motivation level is extremely low right now though... just trying to maintain stuff until I can get back into it.

One thing is that I’ve been keeping my drapes closed in my home office to avoid direct sun hitting this tank, but I think the lack of sunlight coming in along with the stay at home thing is really getting to me, so I decided today to go ahead and open the drapes while I’m working and I’ll just have to figure out how to keep any resulting algae in check. 

• Like 3

C9D178EC-7472-4E44-AE51-D094C021F96C.thumb.jpeg.23234d745e14906fc772ba00bf3a0f78.jpeg

the sinularia is perking up this morning... this was several pieces that have been sitting loose in the bottom of the Biocube for months and had fused together... luckily some sand had also adhered to the bottom so I was able to easily glue the coral to the rock last night

• Like 2

Guess what happened tonight? Jack & Rose spawned!! I noticed Rose was getting chubbier and chubbier, so when she suddenly looked slimmer at dinner time tonight I looked around and found the eggs, and then I got to see Jack fertilize them. So cool to get to observe these kinds of things in our tanks!

CD4E5F50-970A-40DA-B952-EE32469281E1.thumb.jpeg.894c5e247070b5fb76485c4f10592369.jpeg

A210EC31-41B7-493C-B168-8EB4A169D257.thumb.jpeg.e6d633e7fe6028246ff334b633e4aacb.jpeg

Also, I may live to regret it, but I introduced an asterina starfish that came in on a frag... my daughter really wants to keep them, so we’ll see... 🌟

A3623EAE-101B-4A0B-A782-2A3F7A231557.thumb.jpeg.e2b51f72e491fa541aebe97beb1a33fa.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
16 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow great pictures.

Thanks! Very curious what will happen as Rose is getting big again so I’m expecting them to spawn again soon. 

• Wow 1

Aww looks like the baby gobies hatched and are already gone... I feel sad for the male who has been watching over them so diligently this past week... the gorgonians sure do look happy though 😬

1B73A71A-2E82-44D9-9A80-5DF38B006CAA.thumb.jpeg.3a5c76d35cf3798979d285afb641a840.jpeg

C8E992FF-060C-4F8D-8304-054B3F6C8587.thumb.jpeg.dc0b700615676b6bc77325039ee6b2cf.jpeg

59E342AF-EBAF-4D47-8C4D-D622B5299912.thumb.jpeg.1cd1f7001bdf0feb7ef868cfeadfcdf5.jpeg

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch. 
Did you have hopes of raising the fry?

Haha right...

I wasn’t really sure what to expect... I thought I’d see them when they hatched though. I’m thinking many may have ended up in the filter floss. Oh well... 😔 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry you missed the main event. It seems that fish eggs hatch at night more often than not. That is what I gather from members posting their experience. I once had a pair of clowns that breed maybe a half dozen times but never saw babies. I was not prepare to try and raise them. Getting the different stages of food prepared seemed like work to me. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry you missed the main event. It seems that fish eggs hatch at night more often than not. That is what I gather from members posting their experience. I once had a pair of clowns that breed maybe a half dozen times but never saw babies. I was not prepare to try and raise them. Getting the different stages of food prepared seemed like work to me. 

When my clownfish lay eggs, they hatch at night. I usually hear the feeding frenzy with fish biting at the surface of the water going on at 1-2am since my tank is in my bedroom. The babies are really cool to see swimming around, but it’s a lot of work to raise them. Someday I might try though for the experience not for money.

Goby babies might be worth the hassle though, you would probably be able to make a little money on selling them.

• Like 3

That's awesome about the babies!  Unfortunately, even common rotifers are too large for goby fry.  While "possible" to raise the fry, success would be highly unlikely.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

5 hours ago, ef4life said:

When my clownfish lay eggs, they hatch at night. I usually hear the feeding frenzy with fish biting at the surface of the water going on at 1-2am since my tank is in my bedroom. The babies are really cool to see swimming around, but it’s a lot of work to raise them. Someday I might try though for the experience not for money.

Goby babies might be worth the hassle though, you would probably be able to make a little money on selling them.

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

That's awesome about the babies!  Unfortunately, even common rotifers are too large for goby fry.  While "possible" to raise the fry, success would be highly unlikely.

yes, appears they hatched during the night... it would be really cool to be able to raise some up, especially since they have such short lifespans, looks like only 1-3 years, so it would be cool to be able to keep a couple of the offspring... but looks like it would take pretty extensive efforts to do so...

I’ve only just started researching so far, so if anyone has good references let me know... but I wasn’t really planning to breed them, just wanted a mated pair so they’d have a companion... for now I’m just happy that Jack and Rose seem to be doing well in their little home 

• Like 4