Innovative Marine Aquariums

banasophia

The Jebao SLW-10 sine wave pump looks cool... we’ll see how it works out... may be too much flow for this tank, but it’s nice and compact... if I can’t use it in here I’ll probably try it in my Biocube 16.

36812000-A487-42FC-9D6A-F174B5C7B4C2.thumb.jpeg.a5cf957d6241136211a1b8dcae2cc7d1.jpeg

4C06E382-2C68-4588-AA7E-28CCB722CB39.thumb.jpeg.48d1a010c6215889f16c5432497579f8.jpeg

Also, you guys may know the answer to this: I saw when I was doing a little research on this powerhead that someone referred to the part outside the tank as a “dry side”... I always thought these pieces were just a magnet on the Jebaos, so I’ve had that piece submerged in my all-in-one chamber in my Biocube 16... am I not supposed to be submerging it??? 😬😬😬

D5B8D7CC-E518-42C7-881F-BBF09329A7FA.thumb.jpeg.7421a3a0f3564685cb8fb7d4aad73c89.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

The Jebao SLW-10 sine wave pump looks cool... we’ll see how it works out... may be too much flow for this tank, but it’s nice and compact... if I can’t use it in here I’ll probably try it in my Biocube 16.

36812000-A487-42FC-9D6A-F174B5C7B4C2.thumb.jpeg.a5cf957d6241136211a1b8dcae2cc7d1.jpeg

4C06E382-2C68-4588-AA7E-28CCB722CB39.thumb.jpeg.48d1a010c6215889f16c5432497579f8.jpeg

Also, you guys may know the answer to this: I saw when I was doing a little research on this powerhead that someone referred to the part outside the tank as a “dry side”... I always thought these pieces were just a magnet on the Jebaos, so I’ve had that piece submerged in my all-in-one chamber in my Biocube 16... am I not supposed to be submerging it??? 😬😬😬

D5B8D7CC-E518-42C7-881F-BBF09329A7FA.thumb.jpeg.7421a3a0f3564685cb8fb7d4aad73c89.jpeg

I have my jabao ow10 magnet on the inside of my biocube, no issues. I don’t think it matters honestly. But We all should inspect any magnets in the tank periodically for damage, swelling, rust and replace as necessary.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
On 2/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, banasophia said:

I haven’t actually posted it, but the plan definitely includes a torch or two, cloves, and knopia. I might possibly also include zoas/palys, GSP, rock flowers, or maybe a button scoly... the additional corals depend on how it comes together and what my LFSs have in stock.  

I’ll post more over the weekend. 🙂 I thought about changing it after I saw your plans, but it’s pretty specific, so I couldn’t really think of a way to make it work if I change it up... I think it will be really fun though to do them similarly. 

Very interesting, and a sweet stocking list!

i don’t even know where to begin mine 😭

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Very interesting, and a sweet stocking list!

i don’t even know where to begin mine 😭

Doesn’t even matter what you put in it... the tank, stand, and media rack already won me over!! 

This guy is extra salty
7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Doesn’t even matter what you put in it... the tank, stand, and media rack already won me over!! 

Lol can’t be in a contest with an empty tank!

Maybe I can get some LFS help 😂

• Like 1
Poison Dart Frog

Looking forward to see what you come up with in this tank. I know it's gonna be good. I upgraded the pump on mine but I've used the same sponge that came with it in the filter. I just rinse it out each water change. I upgraded the light but mine was the freshwater version, Spec V, not the Evo, so I didn't have a choice. I imagine you'll be good with the light that came with it. I even still use the existing lid. I just modified it to fit my light and hot glued clear screen material over the opening (so my shark nosed goby doesn't jump out). 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

Looking forward to see what you come up with in this tank. I know it's gonna be good. I upgraded the pump on mine but I've used the same sponge that came with it in the filter. I just rinse it out each water change. I upgraded the light but mine was the freshwater version, Spec V, not the Evo, so I didn't have a choice. I imagine you'll be good with the light that came with it. I even still use the existing lid. I just modified it to fit my light and hot glued clear screen material over the opening (so my shark nosed goby doesn't jump out). 

Oooh I need to check yours out! I’m following so many people on here, FB, and IG now it’s really hard to keep up with everyone’s tanks... lemme see if I can find your thread!! 😅 

• Like 2

I guess it’s really happening! I removed another little bit of my rock from the back to improve flow and keep it off the back glass, then attached the two scape pieces using the superglue-epoxy-superglue sandwich method, then I got it wet!

EEE455FF-E572-4539-BA8B-EF9003F6CE90.thumb.jpeg.31b94b4cb0e3bbff3f9f92d499c9a584.jpeg

As you can see, I totally chickened out as well @GtownSalty, and added sand. Sorry guys who were voting for barebottom... I really wanted to try it, but I gave it a lot of thought and because I use beneficial bacteria products and add fish early on, I didn’t want to take a chance. So I used Nature’s Ocean Live Sand (Samoa Pink), Nutri-Seawater, and BioSpira. My fish will be a neon goby mated pair and they are expected to arrive from KP Aquatics next week.. 

CA135316-54A0-4FFC-92CA-854A35D33798.jpeg.7ce8dbd9ef00a1e4b1b2481b8a7fc2e1.jpeg

• Like 8

Love this project, Banasophia!

You can put gobies in the tank only a week after water? Do you have a quick cycle etc?

Not sure if you saw but I am trying an acro in my Biocube32 like we talked about a couple months back.

• Like 1
On 2/25/2020 at 11:02 AM, banasophia said:

That rubber piece goes inside the tank, the kind of concave one is used to position the powerhead at different angles, the flat one will just keep it facing forward. 
Always check your magnets a few times a year, regardless of mnfctr, also in my experience that powerhead will be wayyy too much flow lol.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Scotty Amen said:

Love this project, Banasophia!

You can put gobies in the tank only a week after water? Do you have a quick cycle etc?

Not sure if you saw but I am trying an acro in my Biocube32 like we talked about a couple months back.

Thank you!

Yes, neon gobies are said to be very hardy, easy fish. I used several sources of beneficial bacteria - the Nutri-Seawater, the live sand, and the BioSpira. In addition the CaribSea Liferock also has some bacteria spores in its coating. I like to use multiple sources because the beneficial bacteria products can be sensitive to temperature extremes, so I like back up in case one got damaged during shipping/storage.

Though the beneficial bacteria products say you can add fish right away, I find it’s important to run the tank for a while first to just make sure you’ve worked out any kinks in the system like issues with the pump/heater/lights/needing an ATO, and you also need to test the water to be sure the results are as expected before adding the fish.

I also use Seachem Matrix Media in media bags in the back chamber of all my tank to increase the surface area for the beneficial bacteria. 

49 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

That rubber piece goes inside the tank, the kind of oval shaped one is used to position the powerhead at different angles, the flat one will just keep it facing forward. 
Always check your magnets a few times a year, regardless of mnfctr, also in my experience that powerhead will be wayyy too much flow lol.

Thanks so much... yes, I ended up removing that flat rubber sleeve and used the concave one so I can angle the powerhead. Haven’t tested it out yet, but won’t be surprised if it’s way too much in this small tank. Do you agree it’s okay to have both parts of the magnet in the water if I want to mount the “outside” piece in the back chamber, and just inspect the magnets from time to time? 

I also have an MP 10 lying around somewhere that I can try in this tank, but the dry side is so bulky it may be hard to squeeze in by my printer, and I do like the option to angle my powerhead which I can’t do with the MP 10. 

• Like 2

I do not believe it is advised to keep the rearmost piece submerged, as I don't think it's properly-coated. If the flow works for your tank you could purchase a platic-coated or ceramic magnet from K&J magnetics and use that as the back-piece instead. Their coated neodymiums are far, far stronger than any stock magnets out there and have a great reputation.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Amphrites said:

I do not believe it is advised to keep the rearmost piece submerged, I don't think it's properly-coated. If the flow works for your tank you could purchase a platic-coated or ceramic magnet from L&J magnetics and use that as the back-piece instead. Their coated neodymiums are far, far stronger than any stock magnets out there to begin-with.

Good idea... thanks!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Glad to help, you keep quoting me before I can correct and refine my grammar >_<

Haha I hate it when that happens! I always correct mine after I post too!! 😆🤗

• Haha 1

Still a little hazy, but getting there... and I kinda love this powerhead so far... 

174D5A56-FF11-4291-A8E5-7B9E46599E74.thumb.jpeg.eecd0ae951e59c807b72a7ff6d72e394.jpeg

937BE414-90A2-414F-B5A5-186BC12B6831.thumb.jpeg.37294cb4ecfd599f71c6a192d3966646.jpeg

It will be hard to photograph this tank due to the location, but sure is awesome to be able to look over at it while I’m working!!

• Like 9

Thanks for placing the picture where you did. Every time I looked quick I thought the printer was some sort of disqualifying external equipment!

Did you keep the stock filter pump but then needed the pump in the display because the stock pump was so weak or just to prevent dead spots? Or both? My tank also a Evo V is due Friday so I will be close attention to your system and GtownSalty's.  I am hoping the stock pump with a Koralla 565 in the tank will be enough flow. The tank is looking good.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Thanks for placing the picture where you did. Every time I looked quick I thought the printer was some sort of disqualifying external equipment!

Did you keep the stock filter pump but then needed the pump in the display because the stock pump was so weak or just to prevent dead spots? Or both? My tank also a Evo V is due Friday so I will be close attention to your system and GtownSalty's.  I am hoping the stock pump with a Koralla 565 in the tank will be enough flow. The tank is looking good.

Thanks. I’m just using the stock pump and a Jebao SLW-10 powerhead... sorry, I see that was kinda confusing cuz I called it a sine wave pump as it’s called by Jebao, but it’s really just a powerhead. It’s very nice, I like it a lot so far and would recommend considering one due to the very compact appearance, programmability of different wave patterns similar to an MP 10 (at a fraction of the price), plus the ability to angle it. 

6CD819CC-93ED-4FEE-B704-484D81502FB2.jpeg.a4b181077948543f5fdabf2027b8721c.jpeg

I think the Koralia 565 could be too much flow in such a small tank... I think most people use the 240 or 425 in a Biocube 16, which is much more tank volume, and I believe those powerheads are constant flow and can’t be dialed down if the flow is too much. If you already have that pump on hand of course it’s worth a try, but if you are purchasing one I think you may want to consider something different. 

Although I sure do love the description of the Koralia that I just found on Amazon, check it out! 

F6559087-B70C-4C5B-BF08-DCEBE8A0E1B1.thumb.jpeg.8d4d6f9ed2f772e5bc3d857a9a617ecf.jpeg

In a world where nan tanks rule... hydro has introduced a more powerful pump to the koala nan line, at a whopping 565 miles per hour, it is faster than any other speeding koala before! 😂😂🤣

I think I may need to use that as a tag line... changing my signature now. 

• Haha 4

I have the pump already. I found them for cheap on pet mountain a few months ago. Well about $15 cheaper than other places. So I got two even though I only needed one. I use two on my 20L on opposite ends. Your right not programable or flow adjustable. I really like how small your pump is.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I have the pump already. I found them for cheap on pet mountain a few months ago. Well about $15 cheaper than other places. So I got two even though I only needed one. I use two on my 20L on opposite ends. Your right not programable or flow adjustable. I really like how small your pump is.

If you're willin' to wait China-direct eBay stores have those slw10's for $40, was too much flow for my 20L even at low settings, but they're good enough pump's for coralbox and reefbreeders to rebrand them. It could be everyone ripped the same patent at about the same time of course, poor Nero pumps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks. I’m just using the stock pump and a Jebao SLW-10 powerhead... sorry, I see that was kinda confusing cuz I called it a sine wave pump as it’s called by Jebao, but it’s really just a powerhead. It’s very nice, I like it a lot so far and would recommend considering one due to the very compact appearance, programmability of different wave patterns similar to an MP 10 (at a fraction of the price), plus the ability to angle it. 

6CD819CC-93ED-4FEE-B704-484D81502FB2.jpeg.a4b181077948543f5fdabf2027b8721c.jpeg

I think the Koralia 565 could be too much flow in such a small tank... I think most people use the 240 or 425 in a Biocube 16, which is much more tank volume, and I believe those powerheads are constant flow and can’t be dialed down if the flow is too much. If you already have that pump on hand of course it’s worth a try, but if you are purchasing one I think you may want to consider something different. 

Although I sure do love the description of the Koralia that I just found on Amazon, check it out! 

F6559087-B70C-4C5B-BF08-DCEBE8A0E1B1.thumb.jpeg.8d4d6f9ed2f772e5bc3d857a9a617ecf.jpeg

In a world where nan tanks rule... hydro has introduced a more powerful pump to the koala nan line, at a whopping 565 miles per hour, it is faster than any other speeding koala before! 😂😂🤣

I think I may need to use that as a tag line... changing my signature now. 

Interested to see how those Sine Wave Pumps work, deciding between two of these or a Gyre for the 15G upgrade

• Like 1
On 2/29/2020 at 6:16 AM, banasophia said:

Still a little hazy, but getting there... and I kinda love this powerhead so far... 

174D5A56-FF11-4291-A8E5-7B9E46599E74.thumb.jpeg.eecd0ae951e59c807b72a7ff6d72e394.jpeg

937BE414-90A2-414F-B5A5-186BC12B6831.thumb.jpeg.37294cb4ecfd599f71c6a192d3966646.jpeg

It will be hard to photograph this tank due to the location, but sure is awesome to be able to look over at it while I’m working!!

Looking very sexy...

19 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hahaha. That is one fast koala....

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Interested to see how those Sine Wave Pumps work, deciding between two of these or a Gyre for the 15G upgrade

Yes, the Sine Wave seems really nice and I think it looks sleek... I also really like the IceCap 1K gyre in my Biocube 32. 

27 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

Looking very sexy...

Hahaha. That is one fast koala....

Thanks! 😊

Haha I know... I keep envisioning a koala in a Superman cape! 😂🤣

• Haha 2

My new additions are in transit now, arriving in the morning... hope they make the trip safely and aren’t too scared right now... and hope they will be happy in their new little home that I’ll try to make as nice as I can for them. 

• Like 5