Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shooterm21's First Reef 365 AIO Challenge

Shooterm21

Hello everyone!  I've had the itch for a long time to have a saltwater reef tank and recently decided to join the hobby with a small AIO tank.  I am admittedly a complete novice in reef keeping so I'm sure I will have a ton of questions along the way.  My plan is to take it slow and keep it simple.  I have been in the fish keeping hobby for quite some time, and have had pretty good luck in the past with many different varieties of fish and tanks.  Hopefully this experience will help me along the way!

I picked up this 14 gallon Bio Cube about a week and a half ago (and since have found this forum and challenge) and can't wait to get started.  I did empty the tank to get this shot as I've had water and some rock in it for about 10 days (again I wish I would have found this BEFORE I filled it the first time!).  Everything is stock at the moment, but I will be adding/upgrading components as needed.  I've already bought a smart power strip to control the lights as this old model doesn't have any fancy timers built in like the newer ones do.  I have to dig through my stash of aquarium stuff.... I know I have several heaters and wave makers around here somewhere!

I'm really hoping to accomplish two things by entering this challenge.  First is to learn as much as I can about building a thriving nano reef tank.  Second is to keep myself motivated to make this tank the best it can be for my livestock.  I will try to get a picture tomorrow before work of the tank with the rock and water in place.  An added bonus would be to learn how to take a decent picture!

image.thumb.png.8e819ca7dfce6686554c8c212e8d2ee7.png

• Like 6

So far I have been impressed with the quality of the Biocube.  The only thing its missing right out of the box is a heater.  I suppose some people don't need this, but winter in Wisconsin keeps the ambient temperature of the tank way too low at night!  There are so many choices now for heaters its a little overwhelming.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable heater?  I would love to get something with a digital controller that also fits into the filtration chambers in the back of the tank.

So happy to see another BioCube in the contest!! 

Did I miss your entry post in the main announcement thread? 

If I did, sorry... But make sure you post your official entry!! 

• Like 1

yeah welcome to NR and reefing! what a great way to get you feet err I mean hands wet with this challenge.

lost of amazing ppl around here with  tons of know hows 😄

dont be afraid to ask questions.  

• Like 1

With a controller, you shouldn't need to worry quite as much about the quality of the heater (as the controller can turn it off it it gets stuck on).  Still, I like to get something halfway decent.  With these small filter chambers, finding one that fits seems to be the top priority.

It's a good time to learn a few things as 50+ people will be documenting (relatively similar) tank builds from the beginning.  I'm sure you will learn a couple of things.  Glad you could join, good luck!

Started my biocube 14 about a year ago now and it’s a great tank. I use a smart outlet for lighting as it allows me to control the lights separately. I would recommend the 50w cobalt neotherm heater as it maintains a stable temperature and comes with a two year warranty. I removed the first chamber grating to fit the heater in then got the InTank media basket for chamber two. I would also get one of the moon light led add on strips as this makes the coral coloration pop. 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:55 PM, Shooterm21 said:

Hello everyone!  I've had the itch for a long time to have a saltwater reef tank and recently decided to join the hobby with a small AIO tank.  I am admittedly a complete novice in reef keeping so I'm sure I will have a ton of questions along the way.  My plan is to take it slow and keep it simple.  I have been in the fish keeping hobby for quite some time, and have had pretty good luck in the past with many different varieties of fish and tanks.  Hopefully this experience will help me along the way!

I picked up this 14 gallon Bio Cube about a week and a half ago (and since have found this forum and challenge) and can't wait to get started.  I did empty the tank to get this shot as I've had water and some rock in it for about 10 days (again I wish I would have found this BEFORE I filled it the first time!).  Everything is stock at the moment, but I will be adding/upgrading components as needed.  I've already bought a smart power strip to control the lights as this old model doesn't have any fancy timers built in like the newer ones do.  I have to dig through my stash of aquarium stuff.... I know I have several heaters and wave makers around here somewhere!

I'm really hoping to accomplish two things by entering this challenge.  First is to learn as much as I can about building a thriving nano reef tank.  Second is to keep myself motivated to make this tank the best it can be for my livestock.  I will try to get a picture tomorrow before work of the tank with the rock and water in place.  An added bonus would be to learn how to take a decent picture!

image.thumb.png.8e819ca7dfce6686554c8c212e8d2ee7.png

Ahhh yaaayyy how did I miss this? Biocubes gonna represent!! 👏👏👏  I already have two running, and can’t squeeze a third one into the little space I have in my home office, so my contest tank won’t be a Biocube, but in my (totally biased) opinion, they are the best tanks for learning on!! Looking forward to following along on your build. 🤗

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR and the contest. Is that a new tank but an old model or is it a used tank? It looks like it is in great shape if it is used.

It is actually a new tank, but the old model I found at one of my LFS.  So far I really like the tank!

• Like 1
On 2/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, Gravity said:

Started my biocube 14 about a year ago now and it’s a great tank. I use a smart outlet for lighting as it allows me to control the lights separately. I would recommend the 50w cobalt neotherm heater as it maintains a stable temperature and comes with a two year warranty. I removed the first chamber grating to fit the heater in then got the InTank media basket for chamber two. I would also get one of the moon light led add on strips as this makes the coral coloration pop. 

I'll have to look into that heater.  I had a new 100 watt laying around that I'm using for now, but it was a tight squeeze getting it into the first chamber....  I think the InTank media basket and moon light sound like awesome ideas!  Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update due to pretty much the whole country being on lockdown.  I'm not crazy about the rock work, but I'm going to leave it alone for a bit to see if it grows on me.

Nano Reef March 2020.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I hope you and your love ones are doing well. I feel bad for the first timers that can not take a few items from an existing tank to put a little bit of life in their contest tank. The only possibly good thing is learning patience which can be pretty helpful in this hobby. I hope you are not discouraged and your tank is cycling. Stay safe.

• Like 1
Shooterm21

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.  Both my family and tank are doing well!  The tank has cycled well and I am looking forward to being able to add some more life when this is all over.  I hope everyone else is safe and healthy in this new world we are learning to live in.  Here is an updated photo for the month of April.  Not many changes.  The only addition has been a digital thermometer so I can better monitor the temperature now that we are finally getting to some warm weather here in the Midwest.

IMG_20200430_225112.jpg

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
Shooterm21

May has come and gone without much change.  One of my LFS has started getting fish in again and I was able to add a Watchman Goby.  I'll try to get a picture of him, but he doesn't spend a lot of time away from the rock.

Nano Reef May 2020.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...