SaltCritters.com

1st reef! IM NUVO Pro 20 Peninsula- 365 Day Challenge

danistarr

Tank has arrived from BRS! 

86807341_733982173797738_7784545657548701696_n.thumb.jpg.c1b87a6c2c236172c7fe682f8e4fab98.jpg

They really pack them very well! I haven't filled it yet, but so far I don't see any cracks! 😄

I am so afraid to break it that I had my boyfriend unpack it and have him move it for me. I have dropped several glasses and dishes throughout my life, trip constantly over nothing (broke my arm as a result), run into corners, stub my feet on boxes (broke 3 toes as a result), that I refuse to lift it. 

I am still deciding on, well, pretty much everything. 

For the the the fun stuff, I am thinking the theme will be Alice in Wonderland, lots of pink and blue soft/lps corals, and I for sure want a pair of clownfish. I think I will go the aquacultured/tank bred route for everything.

Equipment wise, I have no idea. Either kessil or marine orbit current LEDs, researching everything else still.

• Like 10
  • Wow 1
16 hours ago, banasophia said:

Be sure to add the tag and post your entry in the contest announcement thread. 🤗

You are so helpful! Thank you!

I clearly forgot about that. I think I did everything correctly. 

How did you add your journal and other links to your signature?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I love peninsula tanks! Have you picked at where you’re putting it? Are you going to be able to view it from all three sides?

I have a small apartment that has limited options, where none are ideal unfortunately. I wish it could go next to our couch (so I could stare at it comfortably for hours!) but then it'd be along the window or by the front door (and I mean, an inch from the door). I spent a couple hours moving things around and unless I want to make it very difficult to move throughout our apartment or have a very inconvenient furniture layout (which my boyfriend would not be very happy about, especially since I finally found a way for the dining table to fit where you can actually pull out the chairs to sit in them! lol), I won't be able to put it anywhere where I can view it from all 3 sides. 😞

I can't imagine it is good for fish to be right next to a loud television? 

I'm torn between having it go a few feet at a diagonal near the couch at the entrance of our hallway by the bathroom where I would walk by it every time I go to the bathroom or bedroom, but where it does get a little direct sunlight for a couple hours in the morning, OR the back wall in the dining room that is dark where I'd have to walk back there to view the tank. 

The dining room option at least has the chairs right there that I could swoop around to stare at the tank easily, and would have little, if any direct sunlight. It is closer to the kitchen though, but still far enough where it would not be too close to smoke when we cook certain foods that smoke. The hallway option makes me worried about my boyfriend spraying air fragrance in the bathroom and it getting in the tank, and the direct sunlight. I also would have to crane my neck or turn sideways to view the tank unless I pulled up a dining chair on the opposite side. 

The more I think about it, I think the dark corner of the dining room will be the best option, even if I have to walk a little more and make....I mean suggest people walk over to look at it. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

yes! another peninsula tank! great choice. kinda jelly 

Wow yours is a really nice tank! The dimensions are pretty nice! I have a strange affinity for cube tanks, I think I would have went with that one had I known about it. Super nice tank! 😄

• Like 1
2 hours ago, danistarr said:

Wow yours is a really nice tank! The dimensions are pretty nice! I have a strange affinity for cube tanks, I think I would have went with that one had I known about it. Super nice tank! 😄

Thank you! yes it's a really nice foot print I almost bought the IM 20P a cpl times but lighting it was going to be a PITA I mean expensive then I found the fijicube ( not really a cube) peninsula and had the almost perfect dems. so I went for it. 

for lighting your tank take a look at these:

https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/noopsyche-k7-pro-ii-led-light.html

it's  high power light on a budget. something you could grow into if you ever upgraded your tank.

if you could hang it from the ceiling or other creative way to suspend it above the tank it would look great .

here is there FB group:

Noopsyche USA

I am sure wherever you put the tank it will be beautiful.  but seeing peninsula tanks from 3 side is a real treat for sure.  

• Like 1

Nice rimless tank.  I plan on making my peninsula style tank only viewable from one side (just as you pictured yours).  It might not be the intended viewing angle, but it works best for me.  Good luck in the competition.

7 hours ago, danistarr said:

How did you add your journal and other links to your signature?

Ah yeah I just had to try to remember how to do it yesterday when I updated mine. Let’s see if this helps:

In advance, you’ll want to go to your tank journal and copy the link at the top:

EEB7DFA2-C7C9-433E-A3D7-101253376A2D.thumb.jpeg.e4f7ae2fc1659784c6290ecee563170c.jpeg

Then, go to the drop down by your screen name -> account settings

DD118CF3-BD2D-44F1-A87E-65130F1DFC76.thumb.jpeg.5ba7551089c2f0ebfa2c95420291c74c.jpeg

From settings -> signature

378DD06B-143F-4204-B970-01B931961723.thumb.jpeg.863c1d7e979c0d42fdc5c4024b6b041b.jpeg

First paste your link, then go to the link symbol and it will let you rename it

80FC8078-8A8C-4BA9-9468-9F8B28BFDF9C.thumb.jpeg.8972186513ddd6a781f5ca04dc72a547.jpeg

Renaming the link, part 1

73AD0FC7-A8B9-49A2-8657-BE7DD6D4740B.thumb.png.be4e94f355f77104340c6156e4adf456.png

Renaming the link, part 2

6132F059-3D36-45C5-A689-455C67871222.thumb.png.f72549d53b92f12b9fe8d9b42e6d39b9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 2/21/2020 at 9:55 AM, devaji108 said:

God that is such a good looking tank.  I have always wanted to see one in person.....OMG  I am such a reef nerd 😕  

It is really nice in person! I hope you will be able to one day! 

I know how you feel. I have always wanted to see kessils in person. I too am a reef nerd. 😁

• Like 2
On 2/21/2020 at 12:52 AM, banasophia said:

Ah yeah I just had to try to remember how to do it yesterday when I updated mine. Let’s see if this helps:

In advance, you’ll want to go to your tank journal and copy the link at the top:

EEB7DFA2-C7C9-433E-A3D7-101253376A2D.thumb.jpeg.e4f7ae2fc1659784c6290ecee563170c.jpeg

Then, go to the drop down by your screen name -> account settings

DD118CF3-BD2D-44F1-A87E-65130F1DFC76.thumb.jpeg.5ba7551089c2f0ebfa2c95420291c74c.jpeg

From settings -> signature

378DD06B-143F-4204-B970-01B931961723.thumb.jpeg.863c1d7e979c0d42fdc5c4024b6b041b.jpeg

First paste your link, then go to the link symbol and it will let you rename it

80FC8078-8A8C-4BA9-9468-9F8B28BFDF9C.thumb.jpeg.8972186513ddd6a781f5ca04dc72a547.jpeg

Renaming the link, part 1

73AD0FC7-A8B9-49A2-8657-BE7DD6D4740B.thumb.png.be4e94f355f77104340c6156e4adf456.png

Renaming the link, part 2

6132F059-3D36-45C5-A689-455C67871222.thumb.png.f72549d53b92f12b9fe8d9b42e6d39b9.png

Holy cow those are some very detailed instructions! That was very kind of you to take so much time to show step-by-step how to do it, and with pictures to boot! I will follow them tomorrow when I am feeling more awake. 

Thank you! 😄

• Like 2
On 2/21/2020 at 5:07 AM, debbeach13 said:

Alright I think you will really enjoy this tank. Good luck in the contest.

Thank you! Are you going to participate as well? I didn't see a journal up yet for you. 

• Like 1
On 2/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, seabass said:

Nice rimless tank.  I plan on making my peninsula style tank only viewable from one side (just as you pictured yours).  It might not be the intended viewing angle, but it works best for me.  Good luck in the competition.

Thank you and good luck to you as well!

Are you choosing to make yours viewable from only one side, or is it because you also have limited space as well?

• Like 1

I think my next purchase is going to have to be my aquarium stand. 

I am thinking of getting this again.

https://www.amazon.com/Imagitarium-Preferred-Winston-Tank-Stand/dp/B01N6M3F1G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=264P09PAMJSN4&keywords=29+gallon+aquarium+stand&qid=1582604738&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=29+gallon%2Cpets%2C203&sr=1-3

It took over 5 hours to build last time, but was sturdy and had good cabinet space. 

Certainly NOT looking forward to building it though. (Almost all of our apartment furniture is flat pack, and I have assembled it all. To say that I am completely over furniture assembly is the understatement of the year.)

If I am feeling better, I will be going a new reef store opening this weekend! There is supposed to be music, food, and lots of big name companies (kessil, etc.) there as well!

Just a forewarning to everyone reading my journal, it will certainly be very slowly progressing due to limited finances to dedicate towards reefing at the moment. March will be the aquarium stand and maybe a heater and/or powerhead, April will be RODI unit, refractometer and calibration fluid, and salt. May will be live rock and sand. At some point in there, also test kits, light, more buckets, jugs to store water in, spare powerhead for mixing, coral dip, drip acclimation set up, etc.

It won't be until summer that my first corals are put in there I imagine. I'm thinking blue striped actinodiscus, then a pink leather toadstool, pink star polyps-possibly, and pom pom xenia for the first few. The PSP and xenia will be on their own islands. 

I would love to have this blue glitter mushroom, but can't find them anywhere but this thread!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2604420

615H2zL.jpg

I wish that zoas and palys didn't trigger my trypophobia, otherwise I think they would be perfect for an Alice in Wonderland theme! On a similar note, the white poly part on green star polyps remind me of spider egg sacs.

This image just makes me think of billions of baby spiders hatching. I like spiders too, but still *shudder*

Image result for green star polyps

It seems much less noticeable on the pink star polyps though, and less spider like somehow. Maybe because it reminds me of cotton candy and flowers, not spiders in grass? LOL

https://www.aquacorals.com/index.php/corals/soft-corals/polyps/product/322-pink-star-polyps

Image result for pink star polyps

Bright side, certainly not rushing anything! 😄

• Like 3
3 hours ago, danistarr said:

Are you choosing to make yours viewable from only one side, or is it because you also have limited space as well?

While I could probably find the space, I think it takes a special spot to accommodate a long peninsula tank.  That and a stand which accentuates the orientation you choose.  Plus, I guess I like the more standard aquarium view; and seeing the chambers doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, danistarr said:

Thank you! Are you going to participate as well? I didn't see a journal up yet for you. 

I probably will not join. I have very limited funds and none of the tanks I own are AIO. I would love to say going to join with a budget tank. But having had SW for over 30 years I know better. So I will just enjoy following everyone. I spent a few hours pricing out small tanks and pumps on Saturday and decided if I spent that amount of money it would be better on some new corals! Plus I am a supper laid back (lazy) reefer. 

• Like 2

you could always have your man make you a DIY 2x4 stand or plywood prob. about the same time building less money too unless you go crazy on the build witch you can easy do..LOL 

either way its going to be a nice tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...