Innovative Marine Aquariums

20 long! - 365 day challenge

Hansentyspy

MainelyReefer
30 minutes ago, Hansentyspy said:

Not looking forward to it but I'm going to have to scoot all the sand out of the way to make room for it! The guy building it for me said I could have like 1/8 inch of sand down there and be fine. But I just don't like the idea of it. I'm going to try my best to get it flush onto the bottom of the tank! Ideally I would've had it in before I put anything in the tank! But they were having problems with the laser cutting machine and then he went to California for a few days, and I already had all the supplies and wanted to start the cycle asap you know?

How do you plan on attaching it to the tank? Most get siliconed in so that is obviously not possible? Also it might be 900 liters per hour as it looks like an mj900 pump.  So maybe 230 GPH?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

How do you plan on attaching it to the tank? Most get siliconed in so that is obviously not possible? Also it might be 900 liters per hour as it looks like an mj900 pump.  So maybe 230 GPH?

It's attaching to the tank by magnets! And nonono it's gallons. If you go on Amazon and type 900 gph 3 in one pump. It's the innovative Marine one. Really cheap I think it was like $8! It's nice and effective though! Also I bought an acrylic fish breeding box that attaches to the wall with suction cups for $3 on eBay, that I'll use for chaeto! Super excited! Also am quickly finding out how effective turbo start is. In 5 days I've seen the ammonia spike and drop, followed by the nitrites having a big spike and now they're back to almost zero! In 5 days!! It took my jelly tank (I was using bio spira) 3 weeks to do that lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hansentyspy said:

It's attaching to the tank by magnets! And nonono it's gallons. If you go on Amazon and type 900 gph 3 in one pump. It's the innovative Marine one. Really cheap I think it was like $8! It's nice and effective though! Also I bought an acrylic fish breeding box that attaches to the wall with suction cups for $3 on eBay, that I'll use for chaeto! Super excited! Also am quickly finding out how effective turbo start is. In 5 days I've seen the ammonia spike and drop, followed by the nitrites having a big spike and now they're back to almost zero! In 5 days!! It took my jelly tank (I was using bio spira) 3 weeks to do that lol

The live sand probably added all the Bacteria to your tank for a mini cycle. In the uk we have started using the quick start method: live sand, bacteria culture, dry rock and fish straight away!

Update! The all in one has been installed! Tank has finished cycling! Hermit crabs are happy and I've added 2 corals! I'll upload a video here in a few!

#PNWcustomAIO

Snapchat-1178153650.jpg

Snapchat-722234746.jpg

• Like 2

Here's an update with all the equipment installed and ready to get the wheels moving 😁 #PNWcustomAIO

Looks really good so far! Personally I would not have such a long off time on the Wavemaker, if it is a minute like you say that will be counter productive to the “random flow” patterns you want to generate and will stop a good gyre forming.

8 hours ago, Picogoby said:

Looks really good so far! Personally I would not have such a long off time on the Wavemaker, if it is a minute like you say that will be counter productive to the “random flow” patterns you want to generate and will stop a good gyre forming.

You have a good point! I think I'll keep it on the random flow setting. I was watching a video online about the best kind of flow setting and he said for longer tanks you might want really long bursts so the water has time to move all around the tank. I like the random mode though, I'll keep it on that! Thank you!

10 hours ago, Hansentyspy said:

Here's an update with all the equipment installed and ready to get the wheels moving 😁 #PNWcustomAIO

I agree off for a min is a bit much. try pulse mode you will get a nice wave.

the shroom looks like a Florida ric.  

for the algae start dosing vibrant the stuff works. may take some time but it does. H2ho2 dips I hear works too. but algae it part of the cycle process.    

forgot if you have an ATO but if you dont I would add the heater to middle chamber just encase its runs dry it will not still on.  might want to do that anyway until you get the skimmer going. just a thought.

tank is looking good!  

7 minutes ago, Hansentyspy said:

You have a good point! I think I'll keep it on the random flow setting. I was watching a video online about the best kind of flow setting and he said for longer tanks you might want really long bursts so the water has time to move all around the tank. I like the random mode though, I'll keep it on that! Thank you!

As you wave maker is near the top it’s easy to workout a near ideal. 1)Get a cork, cut a slit in it and put a Kyle square is plastic in to the slit like an upside down sail.

2) put the cork with the underwater sail next to your wave maker on the power output you want and time how long it takes to be pushed to the other side of the tank. This Gould be a couple of seconds.

3) multiply the by 2.75 ( water moves slower on the return journey and has to go down the far side of the tank) and this gives you a pretty accurate idea of how long it take for your water flow to do a full “Grye circuit”of the tank. 
4)if for example your timing was 4.5 seconds set the wave maker to come on for about 4 seconds and then off for about 3 seconds, this way you will have constant gyre’s of different velocities traveling around your tank. When one catches up with the other it creates an under-tow in the opposite direction which is ideal for creating random flow whilst still knowing you have a strong current in place. If you can have a small power head (half the main powerheads power)pulsing in the opposite direction say on for 2 seconds and off for 6 seconds, this will not stop the gyre, but will add even more randomness and get flow in to all those tiny “dead”spots.

45 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

I agree off for a min is a bit much. try pulse mode you will get a nice wave.

the shroom looks like a Florida ric.  

for the algae start dosing vibrant the stuff works. may take some time but it does. H2ho2 dips I hear works too. but algae it part of the cycle process.    

forgot if you have an ATO but if you dont I would add the heater to middle chamber just encase its runs dry it will not still on.  might want to do that anyway until you get the skimmer going. just a thought.

tank is looking good!  

I was thinking the same thing, I'm going to move the heater over until I get an ato! Is an ato against the rules though?? And I was actually thinking instead of dosing vibrant, I was going to go get a snail or two and maybe a couple more tiny hermit crabs! There's only 3 in there right now. Thank you for the tips I really appreciate it. Gosh I love this page. And yes! I asked the guy I bought it from and it is a Florida Ric!

35 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

As you wave maker is near the top it’s easy to workout a near ideal. 1)Get a cork, cut a slit in it and put a Kyle square is plastic in to the slit like an upside down sail.

2) put the cork with the underwater sail next to your wave maker on the power output you want and time how long it takes to be pushed to the other side of the tank. This Gould be a couple of seconds.

3) multiply the by 2.75 ( water moves slower on the return journey and has to go down the far side of the tank) and this gives you a pretty accurate idea of how long it take for your water flow to do a full “Grye circuit”of the tank. 
4)if for example your timing was 4.5 seconds set the wave maker to come on for about 4 seconds and then off for about 3 seconds, this way you will have constant gyre’s of different velocities traveling around your tank. When one catches up with the other it creates an under-tow in the opposite direction which is ideal for creating random flow whilst still knowing you have a strong current in place. If you can have a small power head (half the main powerheads power)pulsing in the opposite direction say on for 2 seconds and off for 6 seconds, this will not stop the gyre, but will add even more randomness and get flow in to all those tiny “dead”spots.

Ohhh I love this tip thank you!! I'll do that later today!

Hansentyspy
On 2/26/2020 at 1:11 PM, seabass said:

Hey guys! Wondering if this is too much flow? I can switch the modes around. I just want it to be ideal for when fish get added! Thank you ❤️

Hansentyspy

Follow up! I moved the wavemaker to the right side of the tank and pointed it at the side of the aio and I feel like this is a perfect amount. It's not rearranging the sand at all like it was before, the surface agitation is there but not CRAZY like before, I like this I think I'll keep it here! Everything in the tank has movement but isn't getting thrown around here👌👌👌👌

• Like 1
Hansentyspy
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That video does look like to much flow.  If it is no longer moving sand sounds like you found a solution. Good job.

Thank you! This new spot definitely seems like a keeper. You'll see in the next video. In fact I feel like there's room to turn it up even lol. 

Hansentyspy
2 hours ago, devaji108 said:

dont want to sound to cheesy but I really like this tank. I think you have done a great job so far! 

Thank you so much ❤️ first reef tank I'm so excited to see where it goes! I'm trying to think of what I could out into it that my clownfish will like! I know the tank has to mature before it'll be anemone ready!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Hansentyspy said:

Thank you so much ❤️ first reef tank I'm so excited to see where it goes! I'm trying to think of what I could out into it that my clownfish will like! I know the tank has to mature before it'll be anemone ready!

Looks real good for a first tank

Hansentyspy
On 3/1/2020 at 9:16 AM, devaji108 said:

Hey guys here's an update! Got some new corals! (Sidenote, want can I only reply to people's comments? I can't make a post on here that isn't replying to someone 😂)

• Like 2

torch's are the best right! love em so much. 

softies can be such PITA some time out some times not IMHO more moody and work than LPS corals.

nice coral  score!

I used the fritz turbo start 900 to start mine. the stuff works great. 

slow and study is the name of the  game in reefing. keep an eye on levels and you will be good to go. 

also keep an eye on that toad stool. dont want to do belly up in the new tank causing problem for the other corals. ( not saying it looks bad just a good idea to keep an eye on your corals)      

Hansentyspy
6 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

torch's are the best right! love em so much. 

softies can be such PITA some time out some times not IMHO more moody and work than LPS corals.

nice coral  score!

I used the fritz turbo start 900 to start mine. the stuff works great. 

slow and study is the name of the  game in reefing. keep an eye on levels and you will be good to go. 

also keep an eye on that toad stool. dont want to do belly up in the new tank causing problem for the other corals. ( not saying it looks bad just a good idea to keep an eye on your corals)      

Thank you! I'm worried about the toadstool. I'm wondering where else I could glue  him too that he might like better... And yess me too! I used turbo start to start the cycle now I'm dosing with fritzzyme to keep up production of bacteria! I'll have to go look at your tank😁

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hansentyspy said:

Thank you! I'm worried about the toadstool. I'm wondering where else I could glue  him too that he might like better... And yess me too! I used turbo start to start the cycle now I'm dosing with fritzzyme to keep up production of bacteria! I'll have to go look at your tank😁

it's prob fine they do that all the time. they shed and come back bigger brighter and better. + there moody look at them wrong and it hurts there feelings..lol

Hansentyspy
2 hours ago, devaji108 said:

it's prob fine they do that all the time. they shed and come back bigger brighter and better. + there moody look at them wrong and it hurts there feelings..lol

I'm really hoping he's just shedding! I'm going to buy more toadstools these guys are so unique!!!

I'm really hoping he's just shedding! I'm going to buy more toadstools these guys are so unique!!!

there pretty cool for sure. they can get big tho might take a year or so. I have sen some really big one around the web.   

• Like 1

I am not saying you have to move that toadstool. Mine looks like that every now and then. Mine looked great on the sand bed it was loose with it's foot in the sand and dropped a couple babies pretty quick. Those are in a little pico and doing great. Later I attached it to a rock and moved it to the middle of the tank. It took awhile for it to look good again. Eventually it looked good and again dropped a couple babies also attached to the rock but have been shadowed by other coral. I turned the rock so the toadstool is touching the sand and once again it pretty quickly dropped a couple babies that are now larger than ping pong balls. But some times the parent looks like yours still. I guess mine pops out more babies when touching sand or planted in it.