SaltCritters.com

20 long! - 365 day challenge

Hansentyspy

Hey guys! This is my first post on this website. I have a jellyfish tank with 3 moon jellies, and I used to have a 10 gallon freshwater tank. I got rid of the freshwater tank because I really want corals and clownfish! My friend is laser cutting a custom aio for this 20 long! I derimmed it, painted the back wall, bought a skimmer, media basket, wave maker, pump, heater, live sand, and aio, now I just need dry rock and this weekend I'm assembling everything!! I hope I'm a solid contender on this journey. And can't wait to see everybody's tanks mature over the upcoming year!

Snapchat-212557510.jpg

• Like 10

oh very nice man! I was thinking of doing the same with a 20L! 

can we get close up of the edges with out the rim? what did you use to "clean" it up? did you have to sand or polish the glass?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Good luck with your tank and in the contest. I have a 20L rebooted a couple years ago. I like the look of long tanks. Following

yeah me too. something about long tanks I find pleasing. 

17 hours ago, devaji108 said:

can we get close up of the edges with out the rim? what did you use to "clean" it up? did you have to sand or polish the glass?

Yeah I'll take one when I get home! We used a razor blade as a scraper to scrape off the silicone and then polished the rim with fine sand paper! It's not perfect but it's good enough for me!

17 hours ago, devaji108 said:

oh BTW nice moon jellies 😄 you will have to tell us more about them...

Anything you want to know! I've had them for a few months, they're amazing 😁😁😁

Just added the tanks first big upgrade! I bought a wavemaker! My plan is to add a few clownfish once I get it cycled and get all the equipment in (won't be for a while! Just some freshwater in it right now to make sure it's holding water!) Originally I cheaped out and bought an $8 powerhead on Amazon. And it was LOUD! I returned it yesterday and bout this jebao ow25 instead and oh in so excited! It makes some crazy waves! Can't wait to get the tank put together this weekend!!!

Snapchat-469890149.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, seabass said:

I think that's awesome.  But are you worried at all about the extra stress, caused by the wave action, on the derimmed tank?

I was initially. But my friend that derimmed it for me, has 7 nano reef tanks in his house and they're all derimmed with good water flow and he's never had a problem. I've been testing this tank with freshwater and stronger waves than I'll be running when it's put together and it's doing great!

• Like 2
On 2/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, devaji108 said:

Am I able to post videos on here somehow? Trying to take a good video of a the edges for you but I can't post it!

1 hour ago, Hansentyspy said:

Am I able to post videos on here somehow? Trying to take a good video of a the edges for you but I can't post it!

I am not sure upload to YT then post a link?

• Like 1

Today's a big day! I put all the live rock in! Got it glued together! And put live sand in! I filled it with water until the live rock is covered and then I turned the wave maker on low to mix in the bio magnet clarifier. I'll post a picture once the same settles!! Oh I'm so so so excited 😁

Snapchat-1409173255.jpg

Snapchat-572909144.jpg

• Like 1

Did you get the AIO insert placed? 

I believe we need to see a dry w/ condiment FTS showing the AIO compartment in order to qualify for the contest. 

Also, you should add the "365 day challenge" tag to your thread! 

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Did you get the AIO insert placed? 

I believe we need to see a dry w/ condiment FTS showing the AIO compartment in order to qualify for the contest. 

Also, you should add the "365 day challenge" tag to your thread! 

Nah in the rules you need an empty tank with food in it, I did that. The aio is going in on Tuesday! I'll do a walk-through of all the equipment to show I am following all of the rules after I get the aio in place! How do I add a tag? Thanks!!

1 hour ago, SliceGolfer said:

Edit your first post and find the section beneath the thread title for tags. Enter 365 day challenge and save your thread.

Thank you!! I got it!! Also I LOVE your profile pic. That is the exact clownfish that I'm going to put into the 20!

• Like 2
On 2/19/2020 at 6:03 PM, Hansentyspy said:

Hey guys! This is my first post on this website. I have a jellyfish tank with 3 moon jellies, and I used to have a 10 gallon freshwater tank. I got rid of the freshwater tank because I really want corals and clownfish! My friend is laser cutting a custom aio for this 20 long! I derimmed it, painted the back wall, bought a skimmer, media basket, wave maker, pump, heater, live sand, and aio, now I just need dry rock and this weekend I'm assembling everything!! I hope I'm a solid contender on this journey. And can't wait to see everybody's tanks mature over the u

Snapchat-212557510.jpg

On 2/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, SliceGolfer said:

Hey guys I made a video of the tank now that the sand has settled! 😁 Getting excited 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

Nice video tour.  So will your AIO filter reside above the sand, or will you have to move the sand out of the way to make room for it?

Not looking forward to it but I'm going to have to scoot all the sand out of the way to make room for it! The guy building it for me said I could have like 1/8 inch of sand down there and be fine. But I just don't like the idea of it. I'm going to try my best to get it flush onto the bottom of the tank! Ideally I would've had it in before I put anything in the tank! But they were having problems with the laser cutting machine and then he went to California for a few days, and I already had all the supplies and wanted to start the cycle asap you know?

• Like 1