ReefCleaners.org

Advice on Clean up Crew Lineup

Doc_

I plan on adding my first fish and my clean-up crew this weekend but am after a little advice and some opinions

The clean-up crew I have picked out for my 30G Waterbox is the following 

• 3-4 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
  • 3 Nassarius Snails
  • 3 Trochus Snails

I've selected these to give me a mixture of CUC members but I’m not sure on the numbers I have decided on. I didn’t want to go overboard with numbers given there is very little for them to eat at the moment with the freshly cycled tank but it’s my understanding most of these I can keep happy with left over fish food and waste is that right?

Is there anything I should scrap off the list for now, lower numbers of or increase the numbers on?  

You're probably looking for an expert opinion, and this ain't necessarily it. But looks OK to me, too much if anything. You want the CuC to live on leftovers and algae, if you find yourself feeding extra to keep the CuC happy you've overshot.

I started with 3 red legs & 3 snails. Currently wishing I'd skipped the hermits and gotten more snails. The crabs don't help clean the glass, and they molest the corals a lot. Drop some reef roids on the leather? 30 seconds at most until its crawling with hermits and retracts everything retractable. And they might have killed a snail, though its hard to tell whether it was killed or just scavenged. A long time ago I was convinced I had an assassin cleaner shrimp in my tank, because whenever something died the first I'd see of it was the shrimp munching on the corpse. This was especially disturbing when the deceased was its mate.

Cuc really depends on needs.

Trochus, nassarius, ceriths, and star astrea are great snails. 

Hermits, blue legged are pretty decent, the most docile are scarlet hermits(not red legged)