Pod Your Reef

Chances of a big fight: update

jservedio

How bad are fights between lords and favias? I've never had the two fight before, but it looks like it's just about reaching critical mass. Are their fights more like the less-aggressive LPS where they just fight over very short distances and will only pluck a few polyps off each other or if they go all-out like the nastier LPS like echinatas? I can still move the lords since they are basically just a large frag, but if it's only going to be a minor fighting, I'll let them fight it out. I really just don't want the much, much bigger favia to totally nuke the lords.

Here is where we are at - they are touching each other when puffed up yet no strike. The favia is about 30 polyps and about 4" across and the lord is only an 8 polyp frag.

pre-fight.thumb.jpg.893b90ecb9cd64dc1889da4e1732bbd8.jpg

• Wow 2
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My favia's and enchinata's were worse than lords. I've never seen a lord damage a coral but favia and enchinata's have longer sweepers.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised that lord isn't toast already. They've been within a half an inch of each other for almost 6 months now and the favia has just been growing around it and not attacking. Their feeding tentacles overlap each other at night, yet they are both unscathed every morning.

I've also never seen a lord hurt anything except an acro frag that actually fell on top of it.

My reason for posting the topic was because I was thinking maybe this species of favia is closely related enough to the lord that they just don't attack - like m. amakusensis and lords don't, though they are the same genus now.

• 2 weeks later...

As per my usual course of action, I just let things play out and I was pleasantly surprised. I figured the lords would get steamrolled by the big favia, but that's not how it turned out. The lords struck first, and like lords normally do, did not hit hard at all. It killed back a tiny bit of flesh and a few millimeters of skeleton and that's it! I get to keep my natural look and growth and not have to worry about things since the favia grows faster, but the lords have some room to breathe.

favia-acan-aftermath1.thumb.jpg.4ae858dbd5243505d5529d5271842f3e.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well that lasted for a month and cost me an acan! Oops...

The favia went from sleeping giant to rampage.The yellow acan got smoked and the pink acan lost a head. This one required a bit of a re-scape. Probably should have done that a month ago, but it looked so good where it was. Oh well, everything is safe now and I've got lots of open room.

Nano sapiens
23 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Well that lasted for a month and cost me an acan! Oops...

The favia went from sleeping giant to rampage.The yellow acan got smoked and the pink acan lost a head. This one required a bit of a re-scape. Probably should have done that a month ago, but it looked so good where it was. Oh well, everything is safe now and I've got lots of open room.

As I started reading this I was thinking 'Uh-oh, the dragon (aka 'Favia') has been awoken'...and then, POW!

Lords are like the little child that play fights and you maybe get a scratch or two, Favia are like Mike Tyson when someone whispered in his ear that you called him a sissy :furious:

• Haha 1