Coral Vue Hydros

My (maybe going to be a Komodo biotope) 4.1g Lifegard Aquatics AIO

mollylope

After 5 years of living in the Bay Area I have finally convinced my now husband to let me start another reef after the holiday season. (Why is it now a theme on Nano-Reef that we have to convince people to let us have tanks that we buy and we take care of?) 

I had planned to start a simple pico with a HOB filter similar to my old 10 gallon tank which I had for 3 years. while getting tipsy in my back yard in SF and researching tanks I saw the 365 day challenge and thought well hell, this will work. Within an hour I ordered the Lifegard Aquatics 4.1 gallon AIO online! 

2123555414_AfterlightImage5.thumb.JPG.a2fbda64fbb2374209021317a45d2929.JPG

Odell Easy Street Hot Sauce

I generally prefer external filters so I can clean them out in the sink, but I will say this tank is SLICK! Kev (the husband/non-reef keeper/spending discourager) and I went to Komodo for part of our honeymoon and I would LOVE to do a Komodo-Flores biotope in this tank. Soon I will post the amazing photos from Komodo Resort's house reef that will serve as inspiration. 

Equipment

• Lifegard Aquatics 4.1 gallon AIO (display is like 2.9) 
  • Nanobox Tidebox (still being made) 
  • Colbalt Neo-Therm (still shipping) 
  • Stock pump - will have to replace 
  • Stock media - will also have to replace 
  • ADA lid- also will need to be replaced because it is a bit too big 

In the Tank

• 3 LBS of Real Reef live rock (I have a serious phobia of bristle worms, so much so I still have nightmares about them from past tanks) 
  • Samoa pink live sand

1287729423_AfterlightImage7.thumb.JPG.e687173746de8cda779f778ff07652fe.JPG

Set up Feb 15th !!!! Going to be cycling a while

814526738_AfterlightImage8.thumb.JPG.445c35742e8bd6885f834deca37be56f.JPG

1403882496_AfterlightImage6.thumb.JPG.687528d23882142afa9f5982880fa1f6.JPG

Pictured with our cat's betta fish Spots' tank

More to come soon! 

Xx

• Like 15
  • Wow 1

Looks like a nice start! I'd considered this tank for mine, but decided it was a bit too tall and narrow. It'd be great for gorgonians or tall macros, though.

Betta tank looks nice, too. If I were you, though, I'd pop a lid on that and fill it up all the way- or, not quite up, just enough space left to give a small air gap for him to breathe from. That's a super tiny volume of water, it doesn't need to be made any smaller by only partially filling it to prevent jumping. And no worries about the little idiot inside wiggling right into a venturing claw. Must be fun for your cat, though. 

I have this tank too and agree that it's really beautiful.  I wasn't happy with the return pump and upgraded to a MaxiJet (I think it's in my signature). If you decide to get a filter floss holder, the smallest version oceanbox carries will work - but the next size up is too big. 

13 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't have the confidence to put tanks on our regular furniture.  Looks great though.

It's just a cheap Ikea buffet table, it only looks nice but totally is veneer.

13 hours ago, Tired said:

Looks like a nice start! I'd considered this tank for mine, but decided it was a bit too tall and narrow. It'd be great for gorgonians or tall macros, though.

Betta tank looks nice, too. If I were you, though, I'd pop a lid on that and fill it up all the way- or, not quite up, just enough space left to give a small air gap for him to breathe from. That's a super tiny volume of water, it doesn't need to be made any smaller by only partially filling it to prevent jumping. And no worries about the little idiot inside wiggling right into a venturing claw. Must be fun for your cat, though. 

Totally agree! I actually JUST got a lid for that purpose 🙂 ... well not exactly a lid but a plastic plate that fits well enough to have an air gap. It was actually halfway filled bc my cat thought the fish water was delicious but her stomach did not. 

4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I have this tank too and agree that it's really beautiful.  I wasn't happy with the return pump and upgraded to a MaxiJet (I think it's in my signature). If you decide to get a filter floss holder, the smallest version oceanbox carries will work - but the next size up is too big. 

I've seen your tanks, I love the pest idea! Thank you for the tip about the return pump & floss!! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Such a nice looking tank. Love how you can just plop two pieces of rock in there and create a perfect scape. Can’t wait to see what you come up with. 

The smaller rock is actually 6 small rock pieces and it took me like an hour to get right 🤣 I really wish I could have found 2 smaller rocks but the aquarium store here in sf (lucky ocean) really only had big rocks. 

This is another scape I tried

6E9AF6E2-2A42-49E5-BA26-04772330904D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, mollylope said:

The smaller rock is actually 6 small rock pieces and it took me like an hour to get right 🤣 I really wish I could have found 2 smaller rocks but the aquarium store here in sf (lucky ocean) really only had big rocks. 

This is another scape I tried

6E9AF6E2-2A42-49E5-BA26-04772330904D.jpeg

Oh! Well you did a fantastic job haha! It really does look like two perfectly fitting rocks for this tank. 

• Like 2
On 2/18/2020 at 9:28 AM, TatorTaco said:

Can you link the filter floss holder? I'm not seeing it. I have the 3.8 gallon peninsula version of this tank and was.lookong for a nice filter floss holder. I wonder if it will work.

2 hours ago, RedTheReefer said:

Can you link the filter floss holder? I'm not seeing it. I have the 3.8 gallon peninsula version of this tank and was.lookong for a nice filter floss holder. I wonder if it will work.

My mistake! It’s made by inTank, and I’m pretty sure I bought the “7” size. Here’s the link: https://intankaquatics.com/intank-filter-floss-holder-for-waterbox-cube-7/

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

@kimberbeewant to show off your work here? 

My janky racks using eggcrate and zipties or the weird baskets from plastic mesh and fishing line? 🤣

Sometimes it's a little cheaper to DIY a basket or floss holder than to buy something, especially if you are particular about size. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

My janky racks using eggcrate and zipties or the weird baskets from plastic mesh and fishing line? 🤣

Sometimes it's a little cheaper to DIY a basket or floss holder than to buy something, especially if you are particular about size. 

Yeah, I'd like a combo. Eggcrate rack and fishing line and mesh baskets

• 2 weeks later...

Update! Tank is nearly cycled, and just added the heater and a upgraded pump. I also had my order canceled by Dave of Nano Box last week, which you can read more about here if you're interested, so I am searching for a used one.  I am also considering a Kessil A80 as I am not sure I need all the options that a Nanobox or Ai prime offer, but also not sure a A80 can support the kind of SPS you see in Komodo.

I have been researching A LOT about what species I can get for a Komodo biotope and wanted to share. Also below are some snorkeling photos from my husband & I's honeymoon to Komodo Indonesia (Labuhanbajo region). I did dive but did not have a camera, so all of my photos are of the house reef at Komodo Resort seriously steps from our little bungalow. 

Based on what I saw, and additional research below are animals that could work for my Komodo biotope- I don't plan to stock all of these but wanted to share for anyone else who is interested in species for a Komodo Biotope!

Coral

-Toadstool (Sarcophyton)

-Tree Coral (Nepthea & Scleronephthya sp) 

-Acropora (Suharsonoi, polystoma)

-Sinularia

- If you can identify any in the photos below let me know!

Fish

-Chromis / Clowns (obviously) 

-Sailfin Goby (saw one of these!) 

-Spotted Prawn Goby

-Evoita Gobies (** what I plan to get if we do get a fish) 

Inverts

-Porcelain anemone Crab

-Sexy Shrimp

-Pistol Shrimp (though not all species) 

-Mantis Shrimp (saw one of these too!) 

Clean up crew

-Nassa Snails

-Anyone else have other ideas here? 

Komodo inspiration photos (taken with a gopro so not that clear) 

338681761_2018card-2.thumb.jpg.555e2c604c47c7be72f48f046f46c35e.jpg

2093080563_2018card-3.thumb.jpg.ed1d4c271bafcae3dd30d34972a03cd6.jpg

16418974_2018card-5.thumb.jpg.27d31d353cab43058fad8471aa0826b7.jpg

1541045149_2018card-7.thumb.jpg.d2cd38bfc92b83ca0302cec602cf5af7.jpg

me and a turtle- note I do not plan to keep a sea turtle in the biotope 🤣

Great inspiration photos can be see here as well!! 

https://www.mantarhei.com/common-corals-of-komodo/

-https://www.erikastravels.com/snorkeling-in-komodo-national-park/

Will be posting an update photo of the tank soon once I put something in it!! 

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a light!!! 👏👏👏

Thank you so much to everyone who offered to sell me a nano box after Dave from nano box couldn’t fulfill my order. It was lucky as it turned out because when I bought a used one from @NoOneLikesADryTang (particular thanks here) it turned out my WiFi isn’t strong enough to connect via blink up. This was confirmed by Bluefish when I emailed them the mac id on the imp card. 

Anyway I got a kessil a80 which i think may work for some not so fancy SPS given this tank’s display is 3.2 gallons. 

I placed an order for a few Indonesia relevant corals + a clown goby! Should ship tomorrow & will post update when they arrive. 

74290734-E904-4CB8-AF54-FECAB87C0F8C.jpeg

• Like 7
NoOneLikesADryTang

I’m so happy you found one that will work for you! 

Clown goby’s are so cute! Keep an eye on him though, because some (hopefully yours isn’t one) of them like to eat the polyps of SPS. I look forward to seeing your order! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Got coral but not easily. First order was canceled as they said the coral did not look good. I found yourreef.com and ordered a 4 frags which I know would be in Indonesian reefs- birdsnest (wouldn't be seen in Komodo though, maybe Raja Ampat), xenia, kenya tree, and montipora. The fellow threw in a favia, which you can also see in Komodo! The coral was super healthy, and working from home allowed me to acclimate them nicely. Additionally there was an acan attached to my xenia frag!

On a bummer note I tried to order a tail spot blenny (question on that below), from Azgardens.com, and while even though I work in commence, I didn't google the company before I placed an order. Seems that they are fraudulent and regularly do not fufill orders or ship dead fish and plants. I'm trying to cancel my order but honestly am a bit nervous about security of the website now... Anyway rented a getaround car and going to Aquarium Collection in Hayward tomorrow. Will also be my first time out of my neighbored in a long long time. 

My tank has some primo hair algae growing, probably because I've been feeding my only snail Gary, a nassarius snail (all time favorite snail) betta food. Now I need to get real food and also want a fish. I bought a goby at first but am nervous about nibbling SPS. Is a tail spot blenny too much for a 3 gallon display tank long term (i.e., past juvenile)? I think one could really dig the algae and the cave I've got going on, but also want a happy fish

Oh I also need a pico size magnetic glass cleaner! Anyone else hate with this tank hate the semi clear back panel? Also anyone with this tank have a POV on the angle of the pump nozzle? I've been playing with it. 

FTS of day coral was added

1821169805_AfterlightImage11.thumb.jpg.c3e23ad18eda385f5766287d2be2a24f.jpg

Few days later

49185042_AfterlightImage14.thumb.JPG.cd9f8450a2f869947e5db2e50cca708e.JPG

1994362839_AfterlightImage15.thumb.JPG.9b3073e5e79bc59b28201562dfe71825.JPG

nighttime... Though I do turn my light all the way off at night night

647473105_AfterlightImage13.thumb.JPG.fedcd061f952b7b67216e933054250e1.JPG

Free acans.

1032124257_AfterlightImage12.thumb.JPG.67ba750c9a0a5e00cab492668d501076.JPG

pretty scape. terrible glass cleaning...

• Like 3