Cultivated Reef

Freshwater to Saltwater Conversion and Diseases

Lypto

Hey everyone, I'm super curious if taking one of the various types of freshwater fish that can be converted to saltwater and converting it will help with disease treatment, like if you were to take a sailfin molly with ich and convert it to salt, would the ich die more rapidly than a copper treatment, and would internal parasites die as well, or be transmissible to saltwater fish?

I've been playing with the idea of taking western mosquitofish (Gambusia Affinis) which are in the guppy family and can live in 2x higher than seawater salinity,  and using them as a schooling fish in a macroalgae reef and I was wondering if I could potentially treat for all the diseases they might carry by converting them.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:28 PM, Lypto said:

Hey everyone, I'm super curious if taking one of the various types of freshwater fish that can be converted to saltwater and converting it will help with disease treatment, like if you were to take a sailfin molly with ich and convert it to salt, would the ich die more rapidly than a copper treatment, and would internal parasites die as well, or be transmissible to saltwater fish?

I've been playing with the idea of taking western mosquitofish (Gambusia Affinis) which are in the guppy family and can live in 2x higher than seawater salinity,  and using them as a schooling fish in a macroalgae reef and I was wondering if I could potentially treat for all the diseases they might carry by converting them.

Freshwater ich will die....there are some internal worms that could potentially transfer.

One of the main problems freshwater fish face in a reef is flow....bullies...and not knowing an anenome or coral stings and will happily eat them.

A macro tank should have less peril though.

• Like 4