SaltCritters.com

Skimmer- Eshopps vs IM vs Tunze?

Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

Hello nano-reef

I am looking for a skimmer to go in the AIO compartment of my 40 gallon reef (displacement probably closer to 30g). I have been doing some research on the web, and the three that I am looking at now are the Eshopps nano, IM Bioskim DC, IM Nuvoskim DC, and the Tunze comline DOC 9001

The IM Bioskim is less than half the price of the others, which is nice but makes me worry. It does have some positive reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Marine-BioSkim-Protein-Skimmer/dp/B081W16L8Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bioskim+dc&qid=1581878529&sr=8-1

The Eshopps looks great, I think I am leaning towards this one. Sicce pump, nice slim design, etc. https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-Protein-Nano-10-35G-Skimmer/dp/B00W5TBUFS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=eshopps+skimmer+nano&qid=1581878554&sr=8-1

Tunze is an old well-respected brand, but I have heard mixed things about this skimmer online https://www.amazon.com/Comline-DOC-Protein-Skimmer-9001/dp/B000N0C74Y/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=tunze+9001&qid=1581878579&sr=8-4

Anybody have experience with any of these? 

Thanks

I'd argue that the relatively long track record and positive reviews of the Tunze outweigh the mixed reviews.  Mixed reviews are pretty inherent with any product once it achieves enough popularity and longevity IMO. 

You have to think about whether the product could have gotten any good reviews if ALL of the negative ones really held water.  (Pun intended!)  It usually turns out that newbie problems are behind most of the "mixed" reviews (eg. making micro bubbles!!) and folks that aren't new still keep using them due to quality and bang-for-your-buck, which keeps them popular.

It helps that everything Tunze comes with a killer warranty (since they build everything from the pumps to the plastics themselves in most cases) and Roger @ Tunze USA provides excellent support in the event that something comes up or you have a question.

• Like 2
Gourami Swami
11 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I'd argue that the relatively long track record and positive reviews of the Tunze outweigh the mixed reviews.  Mixed reviews are pretty inherent with any product once it achieves enough popularity and longevity IMO. 

You have to think about whether the product could have gotten any good reviews if ALL of the negative ones really held water.  (Pun intended!)  It usually turns out that newbie problems are behind most of the "mixed" reviews (eg. making micro bubbles!!) and folks that aren't new still keep using them due to quality and bang-for-your-buck, which keeps them popular.

It helps that everything Tunze comes with a killer warranty (since they build everything from the pumps to the plastics themselves in most cases) and Roger @ Tunze USA provides excellent support in the event that something comes up or you have a question.

Thanks for the response, that's +1 for the tunze. They have one on open box special on BRS right now too, hmmm... decisions decisions

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Gakarl100 said:

what did you get and are you happy with it?

Just got the IM Skimmer...Looks good so far and no Micro Bubbles at all...Kinda Loud but I'm hopping it will go away after break-in...I like the Clear Plastic design to...

JBJ Hooked me up with a 25G Flat Panel there aren't many equipment threads for reference on the tank but, this Skimmer sits in there perfectly and you can barley see it...

IMG_9527.jpg

IMG_9528.jpg

IMG_9547.jpeg

IMG_9540.jpg

IMG_9548.jpeg