inTank Media Baskets

Bio Pellets??

DSA65PRO

I was doing my Pre-water change maintenance yesterday and notice my Bio Pellets weren’t/wouldn’t tumble. Pulled the reactor and the pellets were jelled together. I cleaned the reactor in fresh water, removed the pellets, rinsed them. They still stunk, so I soaked them in Vinegar for an hour. The Reactor was set up four and a half months ago, the only thing I’ve done is to clean the pump and hoses, this is the first problem with it. Can I reuse the Bio Pellets? 
I plan on ordering more, should I go back with BSR Brand or use GFO. Nitrites, Nitrates and Phosphates have all been Zero on a Mixed Reef Tank. 

• 1 month later...

Not replacing the Bio-Pellets was a huge mistake. I have a Stingy Brown Algae now, my dKh dropped.  I’m back with it, BRS Brand. Also I put my UVA on the tank for the first time. 

On 2/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, DSA65PRO said:

Nitrates and Phosphates have all been Zero

That sounds like Dino's....a bloom you can count on if those conditions you mentioned above were not corrected adequately between 56 days ago and today.  :scarry:

It doesn't look like you've ever had a topic opened on the issues you're trying to solve with the bio-pellets.  I would suggest doing that.

This thread is fine, or maybe consider opening a specific thread on the algae you're seeing.  

Either way...

Supply a tank photo.  A closeup photo of the algae.  Both photos in white (daylight) light, not blue reef light.  And supply test results for phosphates and nitrates, as well as a summary tank history.

(If you have a microscope, take a sample of the algae and use your cellphone to get some photos.  Even a toy microscope will work fine.)