ReefCleaners.org

HELP, macro algae!

MrLafo

I have a few different types of algae in my tank and need some help getting them out! I have 2 clowns and a coral beauty (the one that photo bombed the picture I took) With several corals. 28g tank

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is what a cleanup crew is for.  👍

Remember that you are the #1 senior member of the cleanup crew forever....lifetime membership...you're president of the club.

So get in there and carefully pull out that algae.  Snails can only eat stuff that will fit in their mouths....which are only as big as this range from . to o.  That's small.  But they work hard!!

So you shorten the algae....they keep it short.  That's the deal.

Use whatever means your creativity leads you to to grab the algae out by its roots.  Sometimes that's easier said than done.  Sometimes it's very slow going.  But it's always possible.

Remember to be neat whatever way you choose as most algae can spread from damaged parts/guts left to float in the tank.

Add 3-4 large snails (or equivalent of small snails) after your next session of hand-pulling.  Then see how it goes for a week or so. 

If the algae you cleaned grows back and the snails aren't handling it, go in and re-pull it by hand, add 3-4 more large snails (or equivalent) and see how it goes for a week or so. 

Rinse.  Repeat.  Until it doesn't come back in between cleanings anymore.  It shouldn't take too many cycles of that to get control. 😉

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

This is what a cleanup crew is for.  👍

Remember that you are the #1 senior member of the cleanup crew forever....lifetime membership...you're president of the club.

So get in there and carefully pull out that algae.  Snails can only eat stuff that will fit in their mouths....which are only as big as this range from . to o.  That's small.  But they work hard!!

So you shorten the algae....they keep it short.  That's the deal.

Use whatever means your creativity leads you to to grab the algae out by its roots.  Sometimes that's easier said than done.  Sometimes it's very slow going.  But it's always possible.

Remember to be neat whatever way you choose as most algae can spread from damaged parts/guts left to float in the tank.

Add 3-4 large snails (or equivalent of small snails) after your next session of hand-pulling.  Then see how it goes for a week or so. 

If the algae you cleaned grows back and the snails aren't handling it, go in and re-pull it by hand, add 3-4 more large snails (or equivalent) and see how it goes for a week or so. 

Rinse.  Repeat.  Until it doesn't come back in between cleanings anymore.  It shouldn't take too many cycles of that to get control. 😉

I’m game thank you! I thought they were able to eat the top of it but now thinking about it that doesn’t make much sense 😂 I’ll start pulling and ,if I remember to, I’ll get back to you 🙂

• Like 1

Yep all of them.

In some tanks bubble algae don't really grow or spread much.  If that's the case in your tank, maybe consider just do nothing and just boost up the CUC.    

But if they are spreading or growing noticeably then you'll want to affirmatively put them in check and boost the CUC as described.