Coral Vue Hydros

Hannah testers opinions

Enthrol

I'm considering picking up the relevant digital testers from Hannah for reef tanks. Red Sea and API have taught me I have a hard time telling colors and that apparently all my bulbs are different color spectrums...

Are the Hannah testers worth the investment?

2 hours ago, Enthrol said:

I'm considering picking up the relevant digital testers from Hannah for reef tanks. Red Sea and API have taught me I have a hard time telling colors and that apparently all my bulbs are different color spectrums...

Are the Hannah testers worth the investment?

Alk and low range phosphate.

Stay away from calcium.

They are slow to use compared to common drip tests and the labware makes them more fussy to get good results with, but they are accurate and eliminate the need for color judgement.  I think for the price they are a bargain.  That said, I still use my drip tests 98% of the time....faster and a little cheaper per test.

@Thrassian Atollthe ULR phosphate just reads in different units than the phosphorous tester (ppm of PO4 vs ppb of P)....same otherwise.  Older unit comes with a conversion chart. 

I own and recommend the plain mid-range phosphate unit anyway....covers a wider range of readings up to 2.50 ppm and the accuracy is fine for avoiding zero.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Anybody using the ultra low range phosphate yet?  I know it’s pretty new.  I wonder how it compares to the ultra low range phosphorus?

I believe they are identical...just the new one does the math for you to turn phosphorus to phosphate reading and has a longer shut off time.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Enthrol said:

What other kits are recommended? What about the salinity tester from Hanna?

I use the salinity and temp tester. Love it. Just have to keep it calibrated like any other instrument. 

Be careful with the EC salinity tester. You apparently can't test tank water as the solids in the water interfere with the conductivity and can give false readings. It is good for mixing fresh saltwater with 0 TDS RO/DI water, but as I needed to use a refractometer anyways to test the tank, it wasn't worth the extra effort and cost so I sold mine.

47 minutes ago, Garf said:

Be careful with the EC salinity tester. You apparently can't test tank water as the solids in the water interfere with the conductivity and can give false readings.

Really? I hadnt read about this before. 

I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for the heads up.