inTank Media Baskets

Is this worth buying?

Jerad81

I was walking around my LFS today looking at different coral ideas to research for my tank when it's finished cycling and saw this in one of their tanks and instantly fell in love with it! Unfortunately I can't remember it's name but they did warn me it would never stop growing and would only be a matter of time before it was too big for my tank. I'm currently cycling an IM nuvo fusion 20g. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with these and could tell me how fast they actually grow? If I could keep it for a couple years at a decent size I might still consider it. But if it's going to outgrow my tank in a few months then I will have to find something else to fall in love with 😢. Here is the pic I took at the store if anyone recognizes it.

20200214_163319.jpg

NoOneLikesADryTang

It looks like an elegance coral - and only you can decide if it's worth buying. They aren't a particularly fast grower, but it will expand a lot from it's skeleton size when the lights are on and they will sting other corals, so it'll need some space. If it's something you really want, in my opinion it'd be fine in a 20 gallon. 

3 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It looks like an elegance coral - and only you can decide if it's worth buying. They aren't a particularly fast grower, but it will expand a lot from it's skeleton size when the lights are on and they will sting other corals, so it'll need some space. If it's something you really want, in my opinion it'd be fine in a 20 gallon. 

That's good to know. I'm still on the fence about it. It won't be one of my first corals but I am definitely considering it for the future. Thank you!

• Like 1

Elegance are great corals. I had one I bought early in my tanks life, and it didnt do well (it was just done  healing after being fragged, and my tank was  too young). got another one a few months later, and it did great, but grew/expanded quite a bit . I ended up trading it away 4 months later as it took too much room in my 13.5 g

14 minutes ago, Garf said:

Elegance are great corals. I had one I bought early in my tanks life, and it didnt do well (it was just done  healing after being fragged, and my tank was  too young). got another one a few months later, and it did great, but grew/expanded quite a bit . I ended up trading it away 4 months later as it took too much room in my 13.5 g

Thanks for the input! I really like the look of these but their potential size makes me a little nervous. I'll probably give it a few months and see how my tank develops before making a final decision. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't call it a great nano coral....consider that what you're buying is one single polyp.   Good that it's a slow grower (you can hope!!)...cuz a second polyp might not fit your tank!  😉