Innovative Marine Aquariums

DXHippie's Office Tank (365 Day Challenge)

DXHippie

Hi Everyone,

I am finally starting my Office Desktop tank, and it fell in line with the 365 Day Challange.

Tank is a Fluval Spec V Evo, and I will be using stock equipment for everything but the media chamber.  That is going to be updated to the inTank Media basket so I can use some better filtration.

Eventually, I will swap the circulation pump, but for now, it will remain stock.

As for tank details, it will have a slight sand bottom, some rocks that will slowly gather to the back wall, and be populated with the following:

(2) Sexy Shrimp

Zoanthid Garden

Assorted Mushrooms

Maybe a Frogspawn

Let me know what you all think, and look forward to this journey with you all.

Tank Shot 02142020.jpg

• Like 6

This will be my first 5 gallon, but my 6th tank build.  In current operation I have a 150g tall Reef, and a 22g Nano, currently fish only, but all reef safe fish.  

This is just a fun little side tank, that I can enjoy at my work desk.  I will be starting it off with dry rock and sand, and starting it with a seed rock from my 150, as well as about some of the salt water.  Everything else will be brand new.

• Like 3

Small update.  Got the sand, rock, and water in the tank.  Going to let it start working itself out.  Will come back on Monday and add the seed rock from my main display tank to really get the cycle going.

Tank Shot 02212020_01.jpg

Tank Shot 02212020.jpg

• Like 5

great use of the coral skeletons, I had thought about that for a coral to attach to but never really found any that i wanted. i like the look too.

hows the cycling going? I know not very exciting part of the build process but any updates?

• Like 1

Not too exciting so far.  Water is at temp, I have added some food to start the cycle.  Have not checked the ammonia levels yet, but will be doing that this week.  

More updates to come!!

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

So it has been a bit crazy with work and the pandemic, but I have been monitoring levels in the tank, and we are almost done with the ammonia cycle.  To answer debbeach13, yes, we are in the middle of the brown and green debacle, and right on track with the cycle.

I hope that I will have it all cycled by the end of the month, and can start with some cleanup crew, to help things along.

Let me know what you all think.

IMG_5512.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Doing well and the tank is coming along.  Have 5-6 hermit crabs helping me keep the tank free and clear, as well as a couple cerith snails.  I have added a couple Zoas and am trying to save a flower pot from my home tank(doesn't look too promising).  I almost spaced this months update, but here you go.

Tank Shot 04302020.jpg

Tank Shot 04302020_01.jpg

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!  May update as follows. 

Current inhabitants are: 2-Sexy Shrimp, 5-Hermit Crabs, 6-Snails(Not sure the type), 1-Cerith

Also, (1) Paly (single head), (1) zoa (4 heads), (1) GSP (isolated from expanding, and (1) Red Flowerpot Coral, making a slow comeback.

Tank is doing well, no real outbreaks to speak of, and all inhabitants seem to be happy and thriving.

Tank Shot 05292020.jpg

Tank Shot 05292020_01.jpg

Tank Shot 05292020_02.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well I took these yesterday, but didn't seem to be able to get them in until this morning.

All things going well, coral not growing as quickly, but have started adding 2-part to help.  All inhabitants seem to be happy moving around.

My LFS is about 45 minutes away, and they are starting to be open more regularly, so I hope to add some exciting mushrooms as well.

Stay tuned.

Tank Shot 06302020.jpg

Tank Shot 06302020_01.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Had them in a different take that I ended up taking down.  They have been in this tank for about a month and a half now.  I hope to be adding some more.