Cultivated Reef

Do closed tops affect ph ?

Candymancan

Just curious.   I never really test my ph.  As everyone of my corals grow fine including the 20 or so sps i have 8 of which are different acros.   All together i have about 70 or so different corals in my 135g.   

But for kicks i tested it today and it was reading 7.8.   Tank is on the 3rd level of the house.  And 99% of it is covered with glass tops to prevent fish from jumping. Only slivers are open for my two emperor 400 HOBs.  All my power heads point to the surface so i have tons of water movement on the surface.  I prefer pointing em up for a crashing effect of flow in the tank rather then pointing them in the tank to directly blast corals with flow.

Anyway.. i know PH is effected by oxygen in the room. And it is my bedroom so me breathing probably doesnt help.  Just curious. I can open 4 inches on the left of the tank and place 1 or 2 120mm computer fans i have wired up to a power bar to get air flowing under the glass.  Should i do that or not bother since everything is growing.  I suppose doing it and thrn testing later for ph to see if ot changes wont hurt

Yes. I have a bio cube 29G and when the glass top is OFF the PH rises. Its not enough for me to do something about it and I usually just keep the glass on. Also, gas stoves will also impact PH. If you have one near your tank don't be surprised if you see a dip in your PH.  Anything that increases CO2 that is near the tank can influence PH. . I usually crack a window that is close to my tank to offset it. But its really been a non an issue.

Yea i have a window 2 feet away.. i turned my ceiling fan on full blast and opened the window.  Took a couple tops off too.. ima experiment to see if the ph goes up or not.  Just curious if itll go up and by how much

Well the lights have been on for 4 hrs now and its 7.8, checked my 60g hex which has no corals no fish or rocks just fiji pink sand and a long spine sea urchin.  I used the 60g recently to hold my corals when i did hypo 

Its 7.8 as well, so it might be the co2 in my room.  Lets see if it goes up in a few hours with the windows open and ceiling fan on with the tops off