Cultivated Reef

Dual heaters for 25g

cosmicbread

I know all heaters will fail. I'm trying to figure out how to heat a 25 gallon IM Lagoon, and I like the suggestion of using two underpowered heaters so if in case of failure at the "on" position, the tank won't overheat. Could I use a 25w and a 50w Cobalt Neotherm together for this purpose? Since many people seem to recommend 75w for these tanks. Would anyone have another suggestion?

I have an ink bird controller but have yet to install it with anything...

I would also recommend 2 temp readers. A few years ago I was fighting a battle with water temp.

It was never warm enough . I added a second heater and temp prob. The new prob said my water was way to warm.

I now keep 2 temp readers in both my tanks and 2 heaters. As far as the 2 heaters I would think that you  would want both to be able to heat the tank

to the desired temp if one failed off. I would look at 2 @75 watt and set them so they dont  come on at the same time . A few deg. apart. If one fails off the other will

turn on  and be able to keep the water warm. If one fails on then you would need a chiller to prevent over heating.

2 hours ago, dling said:

I would also recommend 2 temp readers. A few years ago I was fighting a battle with water temp.

It was never warm enough . I added a second heater and temp prob. The new prob said my water was way to warm.

I now keep 2 temp readers in both my tanks and 2 heaters. As far as the 2 heaters I would think that you  would want both to be able to heat the tank

to the desired temp if one failed off. I would look at 2 @75 watt and set them so they dont  come on at the same time . A few deg. apart. If one fails off the other will

turn on  and be able to keep the water warm. If one fails on then you would need a chiller to prevent over heating.

Interesting, thank you. 🙂

33 minutes ago, Rijodan said:

You could also use an inkbird controller to prevent over heating, only allowing the heater to turn on while under temp. 

I need to watch some YouTube how-to's on setting up the inkbird, it's a bit daunting to me for some reason.