SaltCritters.com

Triton method, low nitr high phos.

RozZy

Hi there guys.

After a nightmare move and 10 fish deaths that died from the Swedish cold during the move about 1 month ago, my tank has gotten itself a mini restart.
I decided to go with triton balling again since I've been very successful with it in the past with my exact same setup.

At first 3 weeks my algae refused to grow. With nitrates up around 30-40 i figured out that the GFO was stopping the Chaeto to grow.
I made a 70% water change over a period of 5 days and pulled out the GFO, the algae has finally started to grow!

My nitrates dropped to 5 but my phosphate spiked and red algae has in a matter of a week started to take over.

My nitrates are at 5 and KH is at 10 dkh.

Right now my setup is :

Red sea 425 xl
Mars Aqua 300w Macro light.

Arka Core 120 skimmer (rated up to 1000g)

Red sea Carbon.

What should i do? Should i just wait it out until the chaeto decides to absorb phosphates as well? 

try to get some green hair type algae growing....then cleanup crew.....then some corals......then some fish....all slowly......I would not use macro algae in the tank yet.

oh...and be patient about it.   At most, borrow some algae or detritus (or sand or rock) from a healthy tank to inoculate your system.   No extra filtration or nutrient reduction though...a protein skimmer and no more.  (Or nothing.)