Cultivated Reef

cut acrylic weir teeth... how?

nanoreeFan

I've read a "fine tooth" table saw blade to cut weir teeth into an acrylic sheet. But can anyone direct me to more specific what type of table saw blade this would be? Does the blade melt the material? Thanks in advance.

40 minutes ago, nanoreeFan said:

I've read a "fine tooth" table saw blade to cut weir teeth into an acrylic sheet. But can anyone direct me to more specific what type of table saw blade this would be? Does the blade melt the material? Thanks in advance.

You can cut acrylic on the tablesaw - if I were cutting a weir with it I would use a thin piece of scrap ply on top to cut some vibration and go really, really slow - the issue is moving the fence accurately enough for real good, even teeth since it'll probably require more than one pass for each tooth and you'll have to do a lot of cleanup by hand with a file.

The far better option is to use a plunge router and make yourself a jig - it'll be much more accurate and you'll have nice even teeth with a single pass.

• Like 1

I spray the Table Saw blade with DuPont Teflon Dry Lube, to cut down on the gumming.   I use a Carbide Tooth blade and raise the blade just enough that the entire Carbide Tooth goes through the Acrylic Sheet. Also I Masking Tape on the up side of the protective paper on the sheet, this is more to protect me than the Acrylic. If the protective paper is missing or torn I tape both sides along the cut, and about four inches away from the cut I put another strip of tape, so I get a perfect square cut. Also I use the dry lube when cutting wood and I use it on the Router bits too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

look up "finger joint table saw sled" on youtube. That's what I'd do. It'll give you even fingers at a consistent depth. You can make it from scrap wood, too. Dito on the sacrificial board, front and back.