Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hello all, new to this forum and the nano community.  I currently have a 54 Gal Aqueon corner tank, which was my first saltwater tank. I have successfully had that tank running from July 2019 and in that time, I instantly fell in love with owning and maintaining ( weird, I know) a saltwater aquarium, its almost therapeutic. I find myself now always looking for places to put a tank in my small ish home and I decided to look for nano for my bedroom. Marineandreef had a sweet deal for the 16 biocube with stand for $269 (after discount and sale) and I decided it was time to expand ha. After convincing wifey (really just ordering and apologizing after), I found myself tracking and waiting. Fast fwd to today, I have the stand set up in the corner of our room with the nano boxed back up ( did not want the toddlers to move it around and possibly drop it empty). I am currently studying, reading the journals and ordering the necessary items needed to begin the tank and start the cycle (so much fun, bleh). Enough backstory, the following will be about the nano

I decided to start a journal from the very beginning of this nano to notate what is planned and get advice. 

As far as Filtration, I have decided to use the included basket for now with the following in order:

Poly Filter Floss

SeaChem Purigen

SeaChem Matrix bio-media in bag (obviously)

I have contemplated so much on the filtration and am open to any suggestions. I do not think I will be doing a refug at this time, so that will not be currently considered. 

The Heater I have decided to go with is the Aqueon Pro 100W, which will be placed in the 1st chamber after false floor is removed. 

Rock & Substrate:

Walt Smith Reef Rock 2.1 20lb dry purple rock

Carribsea fiji pink live sand 20lb

I do plan on taking some of the smaller pieces of live rock from my current 54 gal to assist in seeding nano.

Wavemaker will be the Jebao SW2. This is the brand I currently use on my 54 Gal, and have had no issues and love the controllers for them.

I do not plan on modifying the led lighting just yet.

Also, I will NOT be running a skimmer on this nano at this time, as I don't mind maintenance and will be planning on weekly 5 gal water changes. 

Now, Salt..

When I started my 54 gal, I initially went with IO salt as I was not planning on having coral, but of course I was seduced by the beauty.. now I am wanting to switch to some type of high quality reef salt for both tanks. 

I am leaning more towards Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, I would love any input on this! 

As far as livestock, I am planning on having

2 designer clownfish (havent really decided on type yet) and maybe a firefish or goby, also undecided lol

I will have a clean up crew consisting of a couple trochus, cerrith and maybe astrea snails as well as a couple hermits and debating on a fighting conch. 

I am undecided on which corals I will be adding just yet, as I want to aquascape first and see where I can place them, which will better determine what I decide on.

I will be posting on this journal for anyone who would like to keep up with the nano build. Let me know if anyone has any advice or critique!

Thank you!

505nano 

9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Looks really good, would love to be able to try one of these if hey weren't so difficult to get. 

Have you seen this?

come join if the tank is still dry!

Dope!! Do I need to make a new post thread you think or do I just need to upload the required pic to this thread? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 505nano said:

Dope!! Do I need to make a new post thread you think or do I just need to upload the required pic to this thread? 

Add the pic in the first post and the tag and done 👍

And copy this thread into that one.