ReefCleaners.org

My pulsing xenia not opening

lucasreef96

So i bought a pulsing xenia for the very fist time and put it  in a low flow area ,\\t coral just wont open or pulse so i am concerned that it might have something... i have tested the water ammo:0, nitrates:0, nitrite:0, ph:8.3. 130 litre tank

I have my wall hammer and my zoas all very happy and fully opened, please help me figure it out. cheers.

• Like 1

What does your salinity, Ca, and Alk test at?

I’ve seen it stop pulsing either because the salinity was too high or you just need to give the coral plenty of time (couple weeks) to acclimate to the tank.

Xenia only pulses in low flow for oxygenation but xenia likesl flow and they love light.

I have had a ton of xenia over the yrs,  it's never been happy in low light or too low of flow. Always kept in 1.025-1.026 salinity, nitrates 2-10, phos 0.03 or higher.

They enjoy some nutrients, your tank has 0 nitrates, you need to get that up and check phos too. Corals need both.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, lucasreef96 said:

nitrates:0

Yeah, I didn't even notice that.  I was reading an article where someone couldn't keep Xenia alive and he had Nitrates at 5 PPM while he had his LFS test their Nitrates and it came up at 18 PPM with no issues for the Xenia.  I tend to keep my Nitrates high as well and assumed that's the norm.  I keep forgetting some people like to keep their tank too clean.

My Xenia grows in 0 Nitrates. I removed it all, still have 0 Nitrate though so I guess it wasn't the xenia causing that problem 😉

I have had a hard time keeping it alive in some tanks though for no obvious reason.

However, if you JUST got it, xenia can get really pissed off looking and sulk. 

They also can really hate high temps (mid 80's?) and certain fish medications will melt them (and blue cloves) yet LPS/SPS seem fine. 

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

My Xenia grows in 0 Nitrates. I removed it all, still have 0 Nitrate though so I guess it wasn't the xenia causing that problem 😉

I have had a hard time keeping it alive in some tanks though for no obvious reason.

However, if you JUST got it, xenia can get really pissed off looking and sulk. 

They also can really hate high temps (mid 80's?) and certain fish medications will melt them (and blue cloves) yet LPS/SPS seem fine. 

I had issues keeping it in my lagoon, all my other tanks I have had to regularly prune it.

My lagoon at that time had 0 phos and at times 0 nitrates- not intentionally.

They do definitely get peeved when added to a tank.

• Like 1